What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Peat moss raised beds

zappa66

I’m planning to build a few raised beds for the veggies this year and I intend to fill them with peat moss. I am concerned with the ph and was wondering if I should add lime and if so how much per 2.4 or whatever cubic feet.

I plan to mix in several bags of composted cow manure, never really done veggies before, hoping to improve on last year.

Mr Celsius

I am patient with stupidity but not with those who
Veteran
Peat is oook.... I don't really like it that much, but it'll work.

Look in the organics for beginners link in my sig. You'll see information as to how much dolomite to add per sq ft. Get pulverized as granular takes a long time to break down.

dubwise

in the thick of it
Veteran
I just completed the construction of a raised bed. I used a bottom layer approx. 12" of real rich soil and the top layer of mg garden soil. The build took about 2 hours and I think I'm going to do the next one with peat. With the dimensions of 6'x3'x2' how much peat moss would you suggest?

J

jrosek

Add lots of perlite.. like 50%.. works excellent!
Ph does not fluctuate hardly at all with a 50/50 mix.
Good luck

dubwise

in the thick of it
Veteran
Really? Awesome, I recently found a local source for perlite which has it soooo much cheaper then the local hydro shop! I will get some this weekend. Thanks.

zappa66

Hydro-soil: look in a mirror on lsd, its fun, try it some time lol

I have to get my shit together, the edges of the beds are showing through the snow...
as for the mix it will prob. end up as peat with manure, and a few bags of MG organic choice mixed in. Bout 1 cup limp per 5 gal. of moss.

I'm starting the veggies in the green house this weekend.

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
Haven't done that since those two 4-way thick purple blotters I ate out in the desert 20 some years ago. :)
I'm probably still 4 or 5 sheets ahead of you(Maybe even more), even with the downtime. :)

mirror on LSD

mirror on LSD

I have to get my shit together, the edges of the beds are showing through the snow...
as for the mix it will prob. end up as peat with manure, and a few bags of MG organic choice mixed in. Bout 1 cup limp per 5 gal. of moss.

I'm starting the veggies in the green house this weekend.
looking in the mirror on acid!!! they will be there for a few hours!!!!:laughing: