What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

drip irrigation plan critique

4k 24 plants 2 gal airpot coco grow DTW.

• Water Pressure Regulator Adjustable w/gauge (can adjust between 14-116 psi)
  • Shurflo 2088-594-154, 2088 Series, 198 GPH, 115 VAC Diaphragm Industrial Pump (45psi cutoff) built-in check valve
  • Netafim Spray Stake (operating 22-55 psi)
  • 155 mesh inline Garden Filter (netafim recommends 120u but i already got 155)
  • t fitting, elbow, ball valve right at the res on the line going out that goes back into res before the pressure regulator in case i hit the 45psi cutoff i'll be able to release some of the pressure by letting water go back to the res.

I want a drip system that's essentially flawless. Exact same amount of water to all 24 sites, room for expansion even if by zone and rock solid dependability. I intend to build a system I can completely automate. I won't say money isn't a issue but I'm willing to bite the bullet and pay to do it the realistically best way possible.

IF there is any way i should change this plan before i pull the trigger please let me know.

Cannabean

Hi stemznseedz, I saw your other post as well and Treetroit's link to Pico's manifold is also what I use to feed my SOG.

Can I ask why you want to do pressurized dripping as opposed to unpressurized timed dripping? Pico's manifold and most manifolds do not require pressure and do not use the traditional drippers found in outside irrigation. I use angle drip stakes that simply split the water stream into a Y shape to better coat the medium.

Your plan sounds complicated and I worry about salt and gunk buildup in pressurized drippers. I understand your concern for exact same amount of water and that it should be scaleable. These are not exclusive to pressurized systems.

I use pico's style PVC manifolds connected to a CAP ART-DNE recycle timer that turns on 3 times per day for 30 seconds. This provides enough water to generate a little runoff on all 56 plants in my sog.

ibreza

hey stemznseedz, you might want to hook your pump to a pressure tank. It will prevent your pump from wearing out due to the constant on/off pulsation.

noreason

Natural born Grower
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Exact same amount of water to all 24 sites

I guess it's better to take into account a run-off for every watering cycle, so you don't need the very exact amount of nutritive solution, it's enough for each pot being well drenched and that's it.

Easier, no?

DunHav`nFun

Once a loopfield manifold Pico style is pressurized with each and every piece of 1/4" driptubing being equal length to each plantsite , it`s impossible for each plant to receive different flow or pressure....

You need an inline filter , anti-siphon valve above solution level in rez , and basket stakes that spray 360 degrees around perimeter of each container , or some way to anchor each driptube....

I always used over sized pumps with a ball valve above solution level to control pressure to the manifolds while having a "tee" beneath the ball valve that extended couple inches with an elbow to force the overflow back down to rez for constant stirring and extra O2 to solution with every feed sequence....anyways.....

Just trying to help and show ways that worked for me many yrs.....

Peace.....DHF.....:ying:.....

The pressurized method seems to provide consistency unrivaled by other methods. I guess I'm overthinking it if i'm going to water to 20% runoff there will really be no difference if one has 15% runoff and another has 25% runoff. I'm just approaching this new room from the perspective of make everything perfect the first time and perfect would be consistency. Old systems i've ran seemed to have the issue of not watering plants enough but that was in soilless and i wasn't watering to runoff.

DannyHB7

You can kill 2 birds with 1 stone by getting a 45psi pressure regulated Y filter. Your pump might be a little undersized, plus you would need a pump start relay and timer for that if you want to fully automate. Have you looked into the Leader Ecotronic pumps? They have a pressure switch on top that activates the pump when it senses a pressure drop (when your solenoid valve opens). I would look into Octobubblers too, you'd only need 3 of them. Netafim sprayers are the best. For a 2 gallon pot you'd probably want to go with the plum colored one. Good luck!