What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Huge Marijuana Field Found On Chicago’s South Side

amannamedtruth

Veteran
Someone in Chicago is having a bad, bad day.

CHICAGO (CBS) - Chicago police have located a massive marijuana field on the South Side, with an estimated street value of $7 million to $10 million.
Officers say they discovered a field of pot that spans the equivalent of two football fields at 107th Street and Stony Island.
The field is near the Harborside International Golf Center.
LISTEN: WBBM Newsradio’s Bernie Tafoya Reports

Authorities say more than 1,500 cannabis plants, with a value of up to $10 million, were discovered during a helicopter operation Tuesday.
Some of the plants were as tall as Christmas trees.
marijuana_plants.png
Police location this field of marijuana plants near Stony Island. (Credit: Susanna Song/CBS)

The field was discovered yesterday around noon by a pilot Edward Graney, who was flying a Cook County Sheriff police helicopter.
It is located about 100 yards away from street, but was hidden by wild flowers. Police also found evidence of a camp, with a tarp, sleeping bag and even some orange soda and Cheetos, which suggests somebody may have been guarding the field.
Graney, who was flying overhead after a training exercise, said he spotted “five rows of plants, straight line configuration. It didn’t look normal for wild growth.”
Lt. Michael Ryle, of the Chicago Police Narcotics Unit, said of the discovery: “This would be one of the biggest in recent years.”
Police Supt. Garry McCarthy said the operators of the field likely would have sold the pot and used the cash to buy weapons, which fuels violent crime.
Police have not made any arrests but are using DNA testing and other investigative strategies to try to find the person who had been watching over the pot farm.
A city truck driver tells WBBM Newsradio he called police yesterday afternoon when he saw a man running from the area while the helicopter was overhead.
The Department of Streets and Sanitation cut down the plants on Wednesday morning, and the city’s Bomb and Arson Unit will be in charge of destroying them.
pot_field_.png
Front-end loaders arrive at scene of a huge marijuana field on the South Side. (Credit: Susanna Song/CBS)

Video:http://chicago.cbslocal.com/video?autoStart=true&topVideoCatNo=default&clipId=7796934

rangergord

Police Supt. Garry McCarthy said the operators of the field likely would have sold the pot and used the cash to buy weapons, which fuels violent crime.

Yeah because marijuana growers have nothing else to spend money on.... They never do anything good like feed children or pay mortgages.

Bomb Squad and Front end Loaders....what a bunch of idiots..

nameless

bowlbreath
Veteran
yup beat me to it. what an asshole. just trying to make sure the public thinks that pot fuels murder and crime. fuck garry mccarthy. i bet it cost taxpayers a fortune for them to use all that dumb shit to clear it out too.

PoopyTeaBags

State Liscensed Care Giver/Patient, Assistant Trai
Veteran
the fuck up part is it would have never b een found if they would have planted them speratically like normal shrubs grow up...

the strait line configuration is what tipped of the rookie pilot... sucks shit that was gonna be a pull

Drift13

This type of reporting is how the blue-gang in Chicago keep some folks from bitching about the major budget increases seen EVERY year. And some folks wonder why I move far away from Shitcago.....

Lawrenceh401

Does anyone remember this field being found. I found pictures of the grow in google earth. The fact was there were 6 fields the one found which had limited water and 2012 was a really dry year and an election year. There were 5 more fields within half a mile that were never mentioned and im sure got harvested. Why do you think one field was destroyed by cops yet 5 more were never mentioned that if they found one they could see the others across the road. Corruption in Chicago. I even looked at street view and you could see the road they cleared to get to the field. But the other fields a road wasn't pushed out to them. The march where the 5 fields were was being turned into a bicycle park with a dirt course so the grow area was being shut down either way within a year or so. Just some detective work IV e done. I wish I new a reporter who wanted to do a 10 year anniversary story.