What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Tell me what you think of this compost (soil analysis) please!

roughnice420

https://www.icmag.com/ic/photo_popup.php?e=vB_Editor_001#

So I've used this locally-available (free) compost made of biosolids (human waste) from the sanitation plant in my veggie gardens for the past 5 years with good results. It is rigorously tested, organic, and safe. We just filled raised beds with it and planted directly in it. Grew some bomb tomatoes! Some years were better than others, I think it varies a bit year to year depending how 'hot' it is.

I am thinking of how to use it for my MJ crop this year? The only downsides I can see in using it is that it looks kinda low in K? So would likely need to add that later in flower? It also holds a lot of moisture, so I would probably cut it 1/3 with perlite to improve drainage. Think I should add anything else, or could I get away with the straight compost/perlite mix?

For my weed, I've always done FFOF and used their line-up of organic and inorganic nutes. But I've also done mostly indoor and small plants. I'd like to do a couple large plants in 60-100 gal fabric pots this year and don't want to spend a small fortune on FFOF! I'm OK with supplementing the grow with chemical ferts (FF grow big/tiger bloom) if I have to, but it would be nice if I could minimize that somewhat.

In the next few months, I plan on doing a couple little test plants (5 gal pots) with 1/3 compost, 1/3 FFOF, and 1/3 perlite. I'll probably top dress a FFOF plant only with the compost too, and if I get good results, I'd like to apply what I learned to the full season grow, or ideally, not have to use an FFOF in the big plants at all.

Just looking for suggestions/ideas about how to utilize this stuff for an outdoor soil mix, thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_2204.JPG
    IMG_2204.JPG
    40.6 KB · Views: 39

kritios

It looks good, I think it will work-whatever that's worth.

May want to bump up the calcium, and add sulfur. Gypsum would give you both.

Salt level may be a bit high? I probably wouldn't re-use the potting mix.

roughnice420

Thanknyou kritios, that’s worth a lot actually!

I like the idea of adding gypsom. I was thinking of adding dolomite lime and/or epsom salts, but gypsomnsounds even better. How much gypsom would you add by volume?

I’ll try and get some gypsom this week and I am thinking of transplanting a plant I have vegging in a 1 gal into a 5 gal with 2/3 of this compost, 1/3 perlite, and the gypsom, and see how it does compared to a FFOF plant side by side.

troutman

Seed Whore
pH is high enough. No need for more limestone for now. Epsom salt is very soluble and can be just added to the water you use.:tiphat: