What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Diary Lets grow some weed

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
Did another round of bondage and tied all secondary shoots down as well. Had to remove some of the older fan leaves in order to create space to tie the shoots and give them the best light, I know it's not good to defoliate autos but they should take it and grow back stronger.
No new fungus gnats seen. No need to water them, still more than enaugh water in the soil. Next "watering" will be a mix of foliar cal mag and a fpe. But said watering is probably happen after the next picture update that's gonna come at the start of next week.
Still 21C at "night", 24-25C on light on, and vpd steady at 8 to 9 mbar.
See u guys and gals! :wave:

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
Time for another picture update!
Plants are 25 days old. I tied all the secondary shoots a again hours before I took the pics. I also took out some of the bigger fan leaves on the main stem for better airflow and easier tieing. I would say I removed 20-30 fan leaves in total from the 4 plants over all lst/bondage sessions. They don't seem to mind it, cause in a day or two they are even bigger and fuller than before, with new fan leaves grown out to take the spots of the lost ones. Anyway, here they are:
picture.php
picture.php

Environment right now:
picture.php

I haven't found the bigger screen for the environment controller yet so I made it to display data over the network on any browser. Seems like a better ideea than the screen, I might just leave it this way and ditch the screens all together.
After the picture was taken I sprayed them with calmag and algae extract solution. Also watered the rest of the mix to the pots. 2 liter total spray + watering for all plants.

Chevy cHaze

Out Of Dankness Cometh Light
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hehehe heavy canopy control!!!
Are you doing ambient temps or leaf temps? I've used my laser thermometer I use to make hash oil and checked the leaves and they're about 2-3 Celsius colder than the surrounding air.
Looking great hombre, best of luck
CC

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
I am using room temps because it's easier to measure. But I did play with my laser thermometer as well and i must say the error from the leaf temperature values to the adapted room temperature values is minimal. I mean I keep my environment 1 mbar +/- compared to the recommended vpd, and the worst difference that can appear from not using true leaf temp is under 1 mbar. I am still under 2 mbar away from perfect vpd at all times. To be honest that's more than enaugh for me and I worry more about finding out which is the perfect vpd for different growth stages of the plant than about that.
I'm also not sure for how long to keep retieing them that low, i just want canopy height under 60 cm, not horizontal buds. :D
Thank you guys for the visit! :wave:
Later.edit: Also keep in mind that you will see bigger variations between leaf and air temp and between leaf temp vpd and air temp vpd when the vpd is high, because leaves will evaporate a lot of water and cool themselves more. If environment is stable, variation and difference is low.
And since I edited this, let me post a newer measurement. (Now i can get them on my tablet.)
picture.php

Last edited:

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
Well I hope I have enaugh plastic clips..
The rest is easy. :muahaha:

Later.edit:
Had some spare time so I added soil humidity and atmospheric pressure to the data that is being displayed remotely.
picture.php

Next I want to add data logging and graphs. Data logging I've done it before for my other growroom controller, but for graphs I have to study a bit more. I only done them before by importing data to a computer and plotting the graphs there. I want to do it on the microcontroller now.

Last edited:

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
Things going good, plants started throwing out pistils, also growth seems to as have slowed a bit (i guess they're focusing on flowering things right now) and also spread over all the tops more equally. Now they all grow instead of just the main tip getting 2-3 nodes a day they all get 1-2 nodes every day. I will continue tieing them but not as often as before. Depending on how much stretch I see coming in the next weeks I hope I can find the proper moment to stop tieing them and let them start get some height.

Here is the environment right now:
picture.php

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
Time for an update. Plants are 31 days old. They managed to stay pretty equal as canopy height goes. I only had to tie 2 or 3 side branches since last update. Buds are starting to form at the tops.
They received their last cal mag spray 2 days ago and they started using about 200 ml of water per pot daily. They had a watering with 200 ml compost tea and a 500 ml watering with seaweed extract (each) since last update.
I am thinking I should set the controller to lower the humidity a bit more in about 2 weeks, since I will have buds in there and I don't want mold.
Here are the pics, kinda rushed when taking them so not perfect but i tried to get as many angles so you can see how the plants are doing.
I also had to raise the light 2 or 3 times since last update.
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

See you soon! :wave:

Last edited:

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
Thank you man! I hope I did enaugh with the bondage so that they stay under control in flower.

bibi40

expect 10 days more of stretch (it' s just the beginning ) but for now you contain them really well :good:

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
Everything is going good, I set the maximum humidity level at 70% and the minimum VPD at 8 mbar and they just keep it right there on the edge
(Temperature: 22.20 C; Relative Humidity: 69.78 %; VPD: 8.09 mbar). Plants have started to evaporate a lot of water, so I guess I have to tweak the microcontroller settings a bit more to be able to keep removing the extra humidity efficiently. Soon I will set minimum VPD at 10 and humidity at 65% or so. But I will probably have to tune up the vent speed settings as well to make it work.
I didn't have to tie any new shoots yet. We'll see how it's going at the end of the week.
Later.edit:
Today I also cleaned and sealed the electronics of the soil humidity sensors again. After last cal mag spray I did a week ago some water got into the wrappings they had before and was influencing the readings. I was thinking they must be broken if water got into them, but a cleaning in 99,99% iso alcohool and a good drying makes them like new. I tested and recalibrated them and it was a succes.
I calibrated them even better this time, for more accuracy in the useful range (50 to 100%). Before they were calibrated for full range, but soil is never drier than 50% (unless you want to kill the plants), so this is better for real use. Now they are also watertight, so i could spray on them without fear of breaking them.
I also watered each pot with 500 ml of compost tea.
After watering both sensors showed same value for both pots, so calibration was good.
From now on 70% or less means they need water, 95% means they are fully saturated but not waterlogged.
They sit like this after the 500 ml each watering:
picture.php

Before watering one pot was 68-69% and one was 71-72%. Can't wait to see how much time they take now to use the 500 ml of water..

Last edited:

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
Played a bit more with the controller and looked at the data. The controller barely keeps the vpd in range now, I think I have to work more on the vpd and fan control rules before I make it keep vpd over 10.
As you can see soil humidity already dropped 5% in 8 hours. That's more than I would have though it will drop.
picture.php

Later.edit: Update, they used 9% in 18 hours. So about 250 ml each. They are at 83% soil humidity now.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts