What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Green Lacewing chrysoperla carnea

Granger2

Veteran
The larvae are ravenous and will travel far. They are seriously aggressive. They eat every bug/mite in site, then start on each other till last man standing. They wiped out a serious White Fly problem I had about 3 years ago-completely. None since. Good luck. -granger

moses wellfleet

Veteran
The larvae are ravenous and will travel far. They are seriously aggressive. They eat every bug/mite in site, then start on each other till last man standing. They wiped out a serious White Fly problem I had about 3 years ago-completely. None since. Good luck. -granger
I have these on order but I read somewhere that they are so aggressive they will start eating the plants once they have depleted their food source. Can you remember if they bred once they became adults?

N

noyd666

yes got them around my garden, plenty white fly on azalea plants, I read they were good . got a heap on w. widow plant, seem to leave sticky shit behind[ pun intended.

I ordered two cards of Green lacewings and some predatory mites, I have predatory mites but mine are lazy and slow. I cleaned my rooms well in anticipation for my new bugs and need to put screens on fans and lights, what esle can I do to help my invited guest thrive with the fresh spider mites juice til elimination. I'm going to breed the predatory mites in a separate area away from the Loins roar, until I introduce the new predatory mites or give to friends. Excited!

Andyo

Veteran
temperature n humidity for phytoselius

temperature n humidity for phytoselius

I raised temperature and humidity during veg to help phytoselius
70% humidity and 27 c seemed fine for them .A

Vash

Ol' Skool
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Had a recent bout with thrips. My grow environment allows me to utilize beneficial insects so I thought I would give them a try. Not only that, the ladies were in flower and the spraying was out of the question. I decided to purchase adult lacewings, and as a backup, I also acquired the larvae as well. Upon release of the adults, 24 - 36 hours later there were no thrips in sight - at least the plants that I checked. Below is a sheet of larvae. If you look closely, you can see a few of them.

chilliwilli

Waterboy
I use them quite often and they work wonderfull. When my thrypse got out of control i got fresh new growth in a few days. 20 euro for one cardboard with about 500 chrysoperla is cheap but overkill for my grow. Shop recomends 15-20/m2 of them for plants up to 4 feet so one cardboard per 25m2(270ft2) grow.

troutman

Seed Whore
The only issue I have with flying predators is them flying into the lights. I found a few ladybugs a while back outside and
brought them indoors figuring I had free predators. Sadly, within 2 days they kept flying into the MH and fried themselves.
Maybe, with LEDs they would live longer.

chilliwilli

Waterboy
The adults are no predator only the larvae for about 2 weeks. Not sure if they are attracted to light but the fly to find mates at dawn light. Only saw the adults a few times flying after use.

chilliwilli

Waterboy
I looked for it some time ago if they could be bred indoors but that won't work. They need honeydew and the yeast that comes with it for their reproduction. They have a special goiter for growing the yeast in the body to get essential amino acids. Without the amino the femals can't produce eggs.

Vash

Ol' Skool
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The only issue I have with flying predators is them flying into the lights. I found a few ladybugs a while back outside and
brought them indoors figuring I had free predators. Sadly, within 2 days they kept flying into the MH and fried themselves.
Maybe, with LEDs they would live longer.

Yes, I found that to be an issue as well. I think that's why they suggest you release them with lights out. I also purchased pirate bugs, but that was overkill.

Latest posts

Latest posts