What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Cannabis Hard Apple Cider made with Canna-Caramels... Just in time for Halloween

Ringodoggie

Premium user
420giveaway
I have made a couple batches using this technique and it has worked REALLY well each time.

I made Cannabis Caramels the normal way. Canna-butter, Brown Sugar, Light Corn Syrup and Sweetened Condensed Milk (with a touch of Salt and Vanilla). I heat my caramel to just under 250F. That's just about "Hard Ball" temp.

You can use any apple juice that has NO PRESERVATIVES in it but this is Halloween and Fresh Apple Cider is everywhere. We have road stands selling fresh cider every few miles as far as the eye can see. LOL

To ferment the cider, you can buy a little one gallon fermenter for about 20 bux or, if you want to do it on the cheap, you can use the bottle the cider came in.

For cheap https://www.northernbrewer.com/products/little-big-mouth-bubbler and an airlock https://www.northernbrewer.com/collections/fermentation-airlocks

For almost free, use the bottle the cider comes in. Pour a little out to leave headroom and put a condom over the top and poke a pin hole in in.

The idea is to let out CO2 and not let O2 into the bottle. Balloons, condoms, whatever. You cab even use a cork with a hose that goes into a bottle of water.

I put the cider in the fermenter and, instead of adding sugar, I drop a cup of cannabis caramels into the cider.

As far as yeast goes, there are special kinds for cider and beer and wine and whatever. For this experiment, you can use any yeast you can get your hands on. Even bread yeast will work, although bread yeast is not breed to produce maximum alcohol. But, for your first time, it will work.

The caramels COMPLETELY disappear during the fermenting process. About 1 week to 10 days. I always leave it in for 2 weeks just to make sure all the sugar has been converted to alcohol.

After it's done fermenting, I bottle it with some priming sugar to give it carbonation. Another 2 weeks and it's done and ready to drink.

I just made another batch of caramels today and they will go into some cider tonight.

The last batch was very tasty with only a touch of cannabis taste.

I'm just posting it because I don't believe I have seen this method used before. Mostly, everything says..... make tincture and add it to whatever. This method seemed to really put it all together naturally.

Just FYI

Nice, I used to do a similar thing by making small hard candies and melting them into my morning coffee.

I have also read that when adding THC to alcoholic beverages, you can simply add a carefully measured amount of alcohol based tincture during the bottling stage.

Ringodoggie

Premium user
420giveaway
Hey gang, just an update...

I tried a little experiment. A cup of canna caramels in plain water. Pitched yeast and let it ferment 2 weeks. Today I pulled out the result and things look promising.

The caramels appear to have pretty much disappeared except for some cocoa and yeast crust on top.

The taste is not bad at all. I can taste the alcohol. Very weak. Probably between 2% and 4% ABV. I can taste the cannabis but, very slightly. I can imagine this being used in a mixed drink. With some cranberry, pineapple or even ginger ale I don't think you would taste the alcohol or the cannabis.

OK, now the big question.... how strong is it?

Unfortunately, my tolerance issues make me an unsuitable test subject. And, since the Corona party started and I don't get out, my "edibles testing panel" is MIA. LOL

I put it in some jars and I'll figure out what to do. I need to run to Lowes and get some HCl and denatured alcohol. Duquenois-Levin is not great for edibles but it should, at least show the presence or absence of THC.

Here are some shots.....

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 114
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 116
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 104
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 115
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 110
  • 22.jpg
    22.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 107
  • 23.jpg
    23.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 115
  • 24.jpg
    24.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 105
  • 25.jpg
    25.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 112
  • DSCN0790
    DSCN0790
    56.1 KB · Views: 113

mean mr.mustard

I Pass Satellites
Veteran
I'm glad you upgraded to the airlock from the condom! :D

I'm always wary of fats and oils in brewing.

That's kept me from trying this.

Decarbed hash should extract into the alcohol postfermentation.

I'm not sure how well that would pass into the bloodstream without fat.

Sunshineinabag

I have made a couple batches using this technique and it has worked REALLY well each time.

I made Cannabis Caramels the normal way. Canna-butter, Brown Sugar, Light Corn Syrup and Sweetened Condensed Milk (with a touch of Salt and Vanilla). I heat my caramel to just under 250F. That's just about "Hard Ball" temp.

You can use any apple juice that has NO PRESERVATIVES in it but this is Halloween and Fresh Apple Cider is everywhere. We have road stands selling fresh cider every few miles as far as the eye can see. LOL

To ferment the cider, you can buy a little one gallon fermenter for about 20 bux or, if you want to do it on the cheap, you can use the bottle the cider came in.

For cheap https://www.northernbrewer.com/products/little-big-mouth-bubbler and an airlock https://www.northernbrewer.com/collections/fermentation-airlocks

For almost free, use the bottle the cider comes in. Pour a little out to leave headroom and put a condom over the top and poke a pin hole in in.

The idea is to let out CO2 and not let O2 into the bottle. Balloons, condoms, whatever. You cab even use a cork with a hose that goes into a bottle of water.

I put the cider in the fermenter and, instead of adding sugar, I drop a cup of cannabis caramels into the cider.

As far as yeast goes, there are special kinds for cider and beer and wine and whatever. For this experiment, you can use any yeast you can get your hands on. Even bread yeast will work, although bread yeast is not breed to produce maximum alcohol. But, for your first time, it will work.

The caramels COMPLETELY disappear during the fermenting process. About 1 week to 10 days. I always leave it in for 2 weeks just to make sure all the sugar has been converted to alcohol.

After it's done fermenting, I bottle it with some priming sugar to give it carbonation. Another 2 weeks and it's done and ready to drink.

I just made another batch of caramels today and they will go into some cider tonight.

The last batch was very tasty with only a touch of cannabis taste.

I'm just posting it because I don't believe I have seen this method used before. Mostly, everything says..... make tincture and add it to whatever. This method seemed to really put it all together naturally.

Just FYI

I live a half mile from.. vermonts citizen cider.....I'm having thoughts