What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Low Runoff EC

Hey guys,

So I did a transplant last night into 1.5 gallon pots of Canna coco. After I transplanted I watered with mild nutrient solution@ 410ppm ph'd to 5.9. When I checked the runoff it was like 130ppm. Is this normal to have in fresh Coco? I only did one rinse of the coco the day prior to transplant and that runoff was around 130 then too. Is the coco stealing those nutrients from the solution?

Also today I noticed some of the tips of the leaves were bent down at like a 90 degree angle and some of them with just a hint of yellow in the tips. A few leaves have like white dots on them too. Im just wondering what could cause symptoms like that.

My room is 8x8 with 4 315w cmh with only two powered on at the moment. Lights are like 3 feet away.
My temps are about 75-79 RH 50-55 with good air circulation. Any advice would be awesome.

Attachments

• IMG_1334.jpg
    IMG_1334.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_1333.jpg
    IMG_1333.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_1336.jpg
    IMG_1336.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 36

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
Meters don't measure ppm, they calculate it from ec. There are two ways to do so, giving very different results. As such, I can't use your figures, or convert them back to the value of ec your meter read. However, the more common method is divide by 700, giving an ec of 0.6 Which is rather low.
What was your source for coco? It could indeed be loading up on the metals that an ec meter is likely to respond to. It being an Electro Conductivity meter. And metal being conductive. The idea doesn't seem a great jump. I'm mashed, but it's this ere cec thingy. The Cation (+) Exchange Capacity. The coco is like the minus (-) and they want to go together. The shit sticks.

Edit:

As a guide, I root cuttings around 410ppm. They just sit there doing squat for days on end. So it's enough. Any sort of growing and I need 700ppm. You have 315w over a 4x4 area, but are only using half the lights? I wouldn't expect to ever go past 1000ppm with your setup, unless it's because of a PK boost. I have seen people replacing 600s with these 315s, but per 4x4? I would get the lights on and double up the food to about 800ppm, and leach them with that. Then make them drink it. Quick as you can. Full marks if you stand there and hold a tissue under each one for 5 minutes. Waterlogging is still a problem if the plants are slow. The floor of a tent, is often over carpet, and pots placed upon it, are as good as cups. I will often flip a propagator tray over, and use it as a plant stand. It's bigger and drier than using it the right way round. Let them drain, and for now, let the roots see some air. Hydrogen peroxide would be lovely.

How did you get this far.

Last edited:
I used Canna coco bags. Seems like the batch I got was very low Ec .03 Maybe I’ll slowly increase till about 650 700 and see how they respond. I did do one test plant loaded up with all the goodies so I’ll see how well that one does.

Ratzilla

Veteran
It is not uncommon for some coco coir to have a high EC being that the coconut grows close to the ocean.
We all know that the ocean is very salty .
This can cause EC meters to read very high.
This is why they tell you to rinse coir before using.
Most coconut coir is rinsed by the monsoons so depending how many times the coir pile gets turned determines the EC of the coir!
I have had two bricks of the same name coir read very different on the EC side.
Ratz :tiphat: