What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Hi ppm of runoff but not input

Hi guys,

So I grabbed some clones from a buddy. I have them their first feeding last night and followed Canna’s chart for light feeding.

The target ppm was 620 of input solution. I tested the ph and the ppm’s of the input water and everything was perfect. However when I tested the runoff of a few plants the ppm’s were at around 1680!

Was my friend way over feeding and that’s what I’m seeing come out?? They were pretty dry from the drive and I’ve read that will raise the EC a bit.

What should I do? Use half strength solution u till the runoff is close to the input? And yes I know I need to start reading the EC instead of PPM Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks

Lyfespan

ok so you only tested after planting and watering with nutes? what about knowing what your baseline was? did you test for that? eliminate variables. science has protocols that always answer these questions.

never let coco go dry, it mess everything established, and forces you to restart loading

Lyfespan

Yes I did test input of the solution. It was 620.
Before the nutes were mixed the water was at 120ppm out of the faucet

those numbers are inconsequential, the number you needed was your starting coco only run off number. this is the variable that's missing from your equation

MedFaced

I’ve never done coco, so the purpose of measuring ppm of the run off confuses. Wouldn’t the coco release stuff into the runoff changing the ppm readings?

MedFaced

I have done lots of hydro in rockwool. Never measured run off—ever. Just made sure the res remained stable.

Lyfespan

I’ve never done coco, so the purpose of measuring ppm of the run off confuses. Wouldn’t the coco release stuff into the runoff changing the ppm readings?

yes, coco has its own EC and will change runoff, hence needing to know the only cocos EC as well

MedFaced

Ok. That helps me makes sense from whats posted above. So his readings are picking up salt and stuff in the coco? It drying out made it worse. Having a clean slate to build up from scratch helps get things stable it sounds if I’m understanding correctly. That’s why the need for a clean Ec reading of starting material.

Ok no I did not check the coco only runoff. That makes sense. So as long as my input is ok and I’m getting 20-30 percent runoff I should be ok I’m guessing.