What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Cloning Temperature

mean mr.mustard

I Pass Satellites
Veteran
I've read that temps over 75 degrees lead to pythium and general failure.

I've seen cuts root in 85 degree conditions.

I'm using plugs and a bubble cloner and will post results.

Disinformation may be parading as guidelines.

I don't want to lose cuts but I also don't have a choice if temperature is the determining factor.

So far rapid rooter plugs root well in about a week and a half. I placed cuts in the bubble cloner about five days ago.

Stay tuned and watch whether or not mustard can overcome high temps and misinformation.

negative37dBA

Veteran
What type of things are you using in the mix? I used to struggle with cloning. I use a aero cloner. I changed things up this time and used a new method/recipe.
Everything ran with bleach for 5 hours then rinsed with R/O water multiple times.
I then add to my 5 gallon cloner this:
3.5 gallons R/O water
35 ml of Clonex.
10.5 ml of Hormex
21 ml of Clear Rez.
I then take my cuts from healthy moms and put them under a t-5.
In 11 to 14 days this happens...
picture.php

The temps are not really a issue...my water was in the low to midish 70's the whole time.
Have a great day. Peace, negative.

mean mr.mustard

I Pass Satellites
Veteran
I just use water and h2o2.

I have perlite I suppose I should do that too.

My gut feeling is that the bubble cloner is more susceptible to temperature as my root plug group wilts and recovers but the cloner never cycles wet to almost dry like the rapid rooters.

negative37dBA

Veteran
I would go with additional hormones to help root. Mine literally blow up the stem to 3 times its normal size then roots shoot out like sharks teeth or a bottle brush. Hormex for the win.
Peace, negative.

I wood

I did a side by side test of temperature about 15 years ago. This was before ocean forest started comimg with free fungus gnats. Rapid rooter plugs were a new thing to me, i was used to rooting clones straight into ocean forest.
All clones were in their own beer cup with sandwich bag and rubber band.
Three sepeate boxes were made the same and put in three different temperature zones.
72-75 degrees f
76-80 degrees f
82-85 degrees f.
72-75 batch rooted well but took about 21 days and looked a little sad, some yellowing of larger leaves.
76-80 batch rooted in two weeks or less and were the healthiest, green and robust.
82-85 had some of the fastest to root and these were healthy. Overall this group had about 25% -35% loss to rot.
Rapid rooters and dirt were similar to each other in rooting time in all three temperatures.
What i took away from this was that temperature is the key factor after keeping them moist and providing a little light.

Last edited:

RB56

Veteran
I found a big increase in successful rooting moving to an aero cloner. That was in the winter. When summer came, the few extra degrees in the grow space was enough to push the cloner into trouble. Put the pump on a timer and that helped. When it came time to upgrade, I saw the TurboKlone system that has a small computer fan mounted to its side. Didn't seem possible that it would work but I ordered one anyway (Hooray weed!). It does work. Haven't had a heat issue since and leave the pump running all the time. Struggle for years to get consistent results with rooters and beer cups and variety of media. Humidity domes, misting - basically struggling to get the cuttings to root before wilted too much or succumbed to damp off. Now when I need clones, take cuttings, put them in the cloner and 7-10 days and they are ready to transplant. Incredibly reliable.

Zeez

---------------->
ICMag Donor
Nice job I Wood. Thanks

I did a side by side test of temperature about 15 years ago. This was before ocean forest started comimg with free fungus gnats. Rapid rooter plugs were a new thing to me, i was used to rooting clones straight into ocean forest.
All clones were in their own beer cup with sandwich bag and rubber band.
Three sepeate boxes were made the same and put in three different temperature zones.
72-75 degrees f
76-80 degrees f
82-85 degrees f.
72-75 batch rooted well but took about 21 days and looked a little sad, some yellowing of larger leaves.
76-80 batch rooted in two weeks or less and were the healthiest, green and robust.
82-85 had some of the fastest to root and these were healthy. Overall this group had about 25% -35% loss to rot.
Rapid rooters and dirt were similar to each other in rooting time in all three temperatures.
What i took away from this was that temperature is the key factor after keeping them moist and providing a little light.

Zeez

---------------->
ICMag Donor
Maybe different mediums do better at different temperature ranges. For example, Maybe at higher temps, rockwool cubes give better results with less losses.

JAWS

what do most growers put there timers on when using a water rooting process ?...got everything i need just not sure what to set the timer at, some one said 1 minute on 4 minutes off 24/7..

peace ..

Zeez

---------------->
ICMag Donor
Keep the lights on 24 hours per day. 18 hours on 6 off at a minimum.

SurfdOut

Veteran
Jaws-
I have tried all sorts of different schedules with my water pump timer. I have even turned the misters on for just a few minutes every couple hours. I think the main thing is to maintain an even cool temperature in your rez.

JAWS

ZEEz, sorry my friend i should have been clearer in my question...looking for timer times for the sprayers inside the done..

SURFD, ya timer on off is what i'm looking for and i can see where leaving it off to long would just dry out the cutting, so ya looking for a good general timing for the sprayers..

thank's guys ..

SurfdOut

Veteran
If you can keep em cool, Id run em 24. If not start cutting down the on time until you reach the desired temp.

So humid here that I never had to worry about the cuttings drying out as everything inside the cloner stayed wet.

Vanilla Phoenix

Super Lurker
ICMag Donor
what do most growers put there timers on when using a water rooting process ?...got everything i need just not sure what to set the timer at, some one said 1 minute on 4 minutes off 24/7..

peace ..

I keep my cycle timer set to 15on/15off in my aerocloner. I’ve heard of ppl doing 15on/45off, 1on/4off...you pretty much wanna set it with what will keep your water temps down enough in your space.

mean mr.mustard

I Pass Satellites
Veteran
I was correct in the assumption that the bubble cloner would be the most sensitive to temperature.

They are all dead.

My root plugs are still in a constant swing of wilt and recover.

A couple rooted a few days ago but many are still in flux.

I'm going to admit interest in jazzing up my mix for the cloner with negative's recipe.

I also would like to build a manifold sprayer type tub as well. If the fan helps I have two questions.

Light getting in through the fan doesn't matter?

Where does the pressure go? Is there any exhaust?

DARKSIDER

Official Seed Tester
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Aerocloner on 24 hours when using a little pump, water temperature doesn't go up to much for me to worry,,, but when using my bigger pump, ie maxijet 1000..half hour on half hour off. just takes a little longer to root imho.:tiphat:

Latest posts

Latest posts