What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Great American Coin Hunt: Millions of rare, valuable coins are being released into ci

Tudo

Troublemaker
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Start checking that pocket change because you may just find a valuable, rare coin.More than a million new and vintage coins will be dropped into circulation by collectors and coin dealers for the Great American Coin Hunt during National Coin Week, April 21-27.
The Willy Wonka-type stunt, sponsored by the American Numismatic Association (ANA), is being billed as the biggest coin drop in American history. It’s intended to spark interest in coin collecting.
The U.S. Mint and hundreds of coin dealers and collectors are participating, announcing their coin drops on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram using hashtag #GreatAmericanCoinHunt. There also is a map of where coins are being mixed into circulation posted at GreatAmericanCoinHunt.com
eep a sharp eye out for vintage coins from the 1800s, Indian and wheat pennies, buffalo nickels, silver dimes, Ike dollars, five and 10 dollar blue and red seals, and silver certificate bills will be spent at malls, grocery stores, restaurants and other establishments, according to a news release by the ANS.
The U.S. Mint also is participating, announcing it will circulate 10 million first-ever 2019 America the Beautiful Quarters bearing a W mark minted at West Point. The coins (some are listed on eBay for about $40) will be mixed in with other quarters produced in Philadelphia and Denver, according to a news release. The coins were shipped to banks on April 1 and likely will appear in circulation within four to six weeks, according to the mint.
“We want to encourage Americans to consider coin collecting by making the W mint mark quarters only available in general circulation,” said United States Mint Director David Ryder. “We’re fortunate to be able to feature the W mint mark quarters at the same time dealers around the nation are mounting a similar effort to celebrate and promote the hobby of numismatics.”
est Point coins, which have a “W” under the the words “In God We Trust” on the face of the coin, are valuable because they make up less than 1 percent of 2019-dated quarters. This is the first new mint mark to appear on circulating U.S. coinage since the Denver Mint opened in 1906.
The five 2019 coins, part of a 56 coin issue released from 2010-2021 to commemorate U.S. National Parks and historical landmarks, also celebrate the 227th anniversary of the United States Mint on April 2.
The first 2019-W Quarter recently was found by “Desperate Housewives” actor Shawn Pyfrom in California.
https://www.sun-sentinel.com/featur...-great-american-coin-hunt-20190417-story.html

Sunshineinabag

Start checking that pocket change because you may just find a valuable, rare coin.More than a million new and vintage coins will be dropped into circulation by collectors and coin dealers for the Great American Coin Hunt during National Coin Week, April 21-27.
The Willy Wonka-type stunt, sponsored by the American Numismatic Association (ANA), is being billed as the biggest coin drop in American history. It’s intended to spark interest in coin collecting.
The U.S. Mint and hundreds of coin dealers and collectors are participating, announcing their coin drops on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram using hashtag #GreatAmericanCoinHunt. There also is a map of where coins are being mixed into circulation posted at GreatAmericanCoinHunt.com
eep a sharp eye out for vintage coins from the 1800s, Indian and wheat pennies, buffalo nickels, silver dimes, Ike dollars, five and 10 dollar blue and red seals, and silver certificate bills will be spent at malls, grocery stores, restaurants and other establishments, according to a news release by the ANS.
The U.S. Mint also is participating, announcing it will circulate 10 million first-ever 2019 America the Beautiful Quarters bearing a W mark minted at West Point. The coins (some are listed on eBay for about $40) will be mixed in with other quarters produced in Philadelphia and Denver, according to a news release. The coins were shipped to banks on April 1 and likely will appear in circulation within four to six weeks, according to the mint.
“We want to encourage Americans to consider coin collecting by making the W mint mark quarters only available in general circulation,” said United States Mint Director David Ryder. “We’re fortunate to be able to feature the W mint mark quarters at the same time dealers around the nation are mounting a similar effort to celebrate and promote the hobby of numismatics.”
est Point coins, which have a “W” under the the words “In God We Trust” on the face of the coin, are valuable because they make up less than 1 percent of 2019-dated quarters. This is the first new mint mark to appear on circulating U.S. coinage since the Denver Mint opened in 1906.
The five 2019 coins, part of a 56 coin issue released from 2010-2021 to commemorate U.S. National Parks and historical landmarks, also celebrate the 227th anniversary of the United States Mint on April 2.
The first 2019-W Quarter recently was found by “Desperate Housewives” actor Shawn Pyfrom in California.
https://www.sun-sentinel.com/featur...-great-american-coin-hunt-20190417-story.html
Star notes, one dollar bills with stars at the end of the serial numbers........keep them! Good thread!:tiphat:

packerfan79

Veteran
Interesting, I had to sell my coin collection after the 08 crash. In hindsight I should have started growing more weed instead of losing my coin collection. I would love to start collections for my kids.

Time to start checking the pocket change.

Sunshineinabag

I have asincere fondness for the older artwork our American coins had, prime example is the older version of the buffalo head nickel......wanna make a necklace with one! Starting one for our kids is a great idea!

belleswell

I love collecting coins. It started for me in 64' when 90% silver coins were being replaced. I started again a dozen years ago. One coin in particular became my fave and that's the Walking Liberty Half dollar. The obverse is the same as the popular American Silver Eagle dollars ( 1986 to present). The Walking Liberties started in 1916 and went through 1947. There are a total of 65 coins in a compete set. Here is a 1916 which was the first year minted.

bua0pnQh.jpg

1929 S
TBgCeCyh.jpg

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
You can bet I'll be looking at my change.

I try to anyway but in my area I'm not likely to find muchsince I'm in an armpit in this country.

Thanks for the heads up Tudo. I'd have not known about this if you hadn't posted this thread.
:tiphat:

Dropped Cat

Six Gummi Bears and Some Scotch
Veteran
As a kid growing up I collected stamps and pennies.

Good to see this drop as an interest in collecting,
helps keep us busy with the mundane to offset the
climate of despair we as adults find ourselves in.

Latest posts

Latest posts