What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Old School Kentucky Strains

appy skunk

appy skunk

I am not sure the lineage of the appy skunk, but it was handed down to me from an old timer that preserved these genetics, doing open pollinations every season. He only kept the seeds from the best females and always choosing mothers that exhibited the 2 original phenos. One has thinner leaf structure and the other slightly Indica leaning. To this day the lines are very stable while still maintaining little variation. I see similarities between the old strains and appy skunk.
You still have these?

Jonestown88

I still feel there's some old timer that's in his 80-maybe 90s that would probably say I stopped growing 15-20yr ago.....but Ive got the seeds I uses to cross. My bet is there's somebody in these hills/hollers with that skunk. But finding a TRUTHFUL person would be another thing. That's why it's gonna be near impossible, because oldtimers worked there asses,off in these coal mines and they value there stuff, ie there weed, seed, strain. I figure alot of guys passed away with that skunk we want in there sock drawer or fridge.....old lady through them away. There's always hope though. No pal theres still skunk in ky and wv this bud with the peach hairs is the rks it herms if stressed but you might get two seeds an oz but one small bud can stink up an entire house of pure skunkspray and taste of pure skunky lemon deliciousness with a hint of sour rubber

Attachments

• 65E70DBD-531C-48EB-906B-F2D6E2CC03F1.jpeg
    65E70DBD-531C-48EB-906B-F2D6E2CC03F1.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 56
  • D71731D7-7EA1-4E20-A8EC-8EBC0DC6D04C.jpeg
    D71731D7-7EA1-4E20-A8EC-8EBC0DC6D04C.jpeg
    667.5 KB · Views: 68
  • 7C8AB446-4608-4BE7-B42F-1CFF3B892FA9.jpeg
    7C8AB446-4608-4BE7-B42F-1CFF3B892FA9.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 64
  • 00CAC9D6-5358-4844-867A-8C6BDAF22547.jpeg
    00CAC9D6-5358-4844-867A-8C6BDAF22547.jpeg
    401.5 KB · Views: 64
  • 42A03C07-A517-4C04-BD58-D0E16360DB8C.jpeg
    42A03C07-A517-4C04-BD58-D0E16360DB8C.jpeg
    284.2 KB · Views: 62
  • 0BA19747-ADD3-4434-A5A6-DF65A1489BFD.png
    0BA19747-ADD3-4434-A5A6-DF65A1489BFD.png
    867.1 KB · Views: 69
  • CA463B19-F515-41B0-A21E-28CF92D80388.jpeg
    CA463B19-F515-41B0-A21E-28CF92D80388.jpeg
    366.5 KB · Views: 59
  • D9901A35-A974-40FB-A96D-22A013296A4E.jpeg
    D9901A35-A974-40FB-A96D-22A013296A4E.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 54
Curious if this rings a bell with anyone with anyone from Kentucky or Florida, as I have some stories from a couple of older east coast growers who moved to KY in the early 70's after their tours in Vietnam.

There was a strain and/or strains that went around Ft Lauderdale/Miami, and eventually up to Jacksonville in the mid 70's to late 90's called "Okeechobee Purple. This stuff wholesale was doing $2000 per pound in 1975. Up until the mid 80's large portions of that product were coming from several semi connected Lexington/Irvine, Kentucky area farms. I don't know the naming dynamics regarding whoever was selling "Okeechobee Purple" in South FL at the time (were they sourcing from multiple groups, or just the KY crew?), but I know for sure that it was named by the initial Florida buyer not the growers. The KY dudes hadn't named it anything when they first started selling it in KY. After 83-84 whatever was being sold as Okee Purple in Florida was sourced elsewhere or bagseed grown out (which at first would have been the same seeds the KY crew were using if that's the case).

So I've been told that the Kentucky stuff sold as Okee Purple was the first plant these dudes were growing, and it started with them near Irvine and was basically something with thin leaves that grew on the hill farms and only purple'd up if it if it frosted early. 6-7 ish foot tall, and they had it down to finish late September-mid Oct. They couldn't say if it was Mexican, Afghan, etc. Rules out most sativas around at the time other than some Mexican, maybe Durban if that was even going around. Maybe one of the thin leafed Afghani or Indian plants? They are not sure of the origins, but they had been choosing seeds from early big yielders every year for a long time. To the KY crew this wasn't their good stuff, but the Florida buyers offered 4x the price over their other plants even when it stayed green.

By the late 70's they had another plant that was more popular in KY and with most of the growers themselves, but it didn't sell as well with their main FL buyers (maybe more pop in KY because it didnt sell as well in FL?). They sold it vaguely as "Indica" for most of the time, then "Kentucky Indica". One of the farms started calling their version "Bondo Connie", but it was all the same semi open pollinated stuff. This was a 4-5' bushy plant with wide leaves, and it was done at the end of August. To the KY crew this plant made nicer buds and was more potent.

There are probably still people in that Irvine area growing Ky Indica/Bondo Connie in their backyards, but if Okeechobee Purple still exists it's probably bagseed in Florida, or under a different name in Kentucky.

nick11

Veteran
So why has nobody made Kentucky heirloom seeds. The area is as famous as Humboldt for cannabis growing. There has to be somebody with local cultivars right? I want Kentucky red hair! It's really shocking that seeds arent offered from this region. I mean everything I smoked in the 90's was outdoor Kentucky herb. Alot of it was really good especially this blue hued herb that made the rounds, it was real leafy looking but fire. Way better than Mexican turd weed of the day lol. Mexican bags would have so many holes from all the damn stems. Basically have to put it in a coffee grinder, and roll 7 gram blunts. Ahh the glory days of my youth.

Last edited:

Jonestown88

Pure foul ran over dead skunk soak in skunkspray with a slight lemon on the backend and the smell translates in the taste in my humble opinion she is the goat but if your looking for rks be careful they are some people in ky claiming they have skunk that dont that ky rhs isnt rks or skunk and neither is the 96 ky skunk from og guerilla grower it has the skunkspray smell while growing but doesn’t hold it after cure but what i have here is the real rks or ky skunkbud aka ky skunk weed that made ky famous my family has been holding this cut since 88 and resides in johnson county ky and southern wv me and my brother are the only people who have this cut except for the two breeders we gifted them to! It was a hard decision to make but we dont wanna lose this valuable heirloom she is un replaceable! And bf any one ask i dont sell cuts or weed i do gift like minded people who love what i live with special things but in my world theres things that are priceless so dont come at me waving 100 dollar bills bc that will get you know were

Attachments

• 29E1E3CC-9DD9-476D-AC2B-28E577144214.png
    29E1E3CC-9DD9-476D-AC2B-28E577144214.png
    4.4 MB · Views: 26

Jonestown88

So why has nobody made Kentucky heirloom seeds. The area is as famous as Humboldt for cannabis growing. There has to be somebody with local cultivars right? I want Kentucky red hair! It's really shocking that seeds arent offered from this region. I mean everything I smoked in the 90's was outdoor Kentucky herb. Alot of it was really good especially this blue hued herb that made the rounds, it was real leafy looking but fire. Way better than Mexican turd weed of the day lol. Mexican bags would have so many holes from all the damn stems. Basically have to put it in a coffee grinder, and roll 7 gram blunts. Ahh the glory days of my youth.
Im gonna be honest with ya 90 percent of the old guerilla growers are retired strung out on meth or just gave up just like the moonshiners before us prohibition and meth has just about wiped us completely out thats why i sent my rks cut to some breeders to preserve the genetics its damn near extinct now theres a few of us still around but most are long gone and whats left are mostly new farmers popping up but they are starting with genetics bought online!

Jonestown88

Curious if this rings a bell with anyone with anyone from Kentucky or Florida, as I have some stories from a couple of older east coast growers who moved to KY in the early 70's after their tours in Vietnam.

There was a strain and/or strains that went around Ft Lauderdale/Miami, and eventually up to Jacksonville in the mid 70's to late 90's called "Okeechobee Purple. This stuff wholesale was doing $2000 per pound in 1975. Up until the mid 80's large portions of that product were coming from several semi connected Lexington/Irvine, Kentucky area farms. I don't know the naming dynamics regarding whoever was selling "Okeechobee Purple" in South FL at the time (were they sourcing from multiple groups, or just the KY crew?), but I know for sure that it was named by the initial Florida buyer not the growers. The KY dudes hadn't named it anything when they first started selling it in KY. After 83-84 whatever was being sold as Okee Purple in Florida was sourced elsewhere or bagseed grown out (which at first would have been the same seeds the KY crew were using if that's the case).

So I've been told that the Kentucky stuff sold as Okee Purple was the first plant these dudes were growing, and it started with them near Irvine and was basically something with thin leaves that grew on the hill farms and only purple'd up if it if it frosted early. 6-7 ish foot tall, and they had it down to finish late September-mid Oct. They couldn't say if it was Mexican, Afghan, etc. Rules out most sativas around at the time other than some Mexican, maybe Durban if that was even going around. Maybe one of the thin leafed Afghani or Indian plants? They are not sure of the origins, but they had been choosing seeds from early big yielders every year for a long time. To the KY crew this wasn't their good stuff, but the Florida buyers offered 4x the price over their other plants even when it stayed green.

By the late 70's they had another plant that was more popular in KY and with most of the growers themselves, but it didn't sell as well with their main FL buyers (maybe more pop in KY because it didnt sell as well in FL?). They sold it vaguely as "Indica" for most of the time, then "Kentucky Indica". One of the farms started calling their version "Bondo Connie", but it was all the same semi open pollinated stuff. This was a 4-5' bushy plant with wide leaves, and it was done at the end of August. To the KY crew this plant made nicer buds and was more potent.

There are probably still people in that Irvine area growing Ky Indica/Bondo Connie in their backyards, but if Okeechobee Purple still exists it's probably bagseed in Florida, or under a different name in Kentucky.
And ive been growing in eastern ky since the early 90s and i never seen any purple strains ever until the 2012 and up and when i say never i mean never we never was fans of weak fruity strains most hillbillys had customers who was drug addicts and they enjoyed potent skunky weed i didn’t even believe purple cultivars was real until i seen one my self i grew 1000s of plants between 1990-2012 and never seen one purple bud i seen some fire blue berry strains that had hints of purple leafs from senescence at harvest time but we always grew green skunky kind bud and I believe breeding with purple strains is what ruined good weed but thats my 2 cents and opinions

Jonestown88

And ive been growing in eastern ky since the early 90s and i never seen any purple strains ever until the 2012 and up and when i say never i mean never we never was fans of weak fruity strains most hillbillys had customers who was drug addicts and they enjoyed potent skunky weed i didn’t even believe purple cultivars was real until i seen one my self i grew 1000s of plants between 1990-2012 and never seen one purple bud i seen some fire blue berry strains that had hints of purple leafs from senescence at harvest time but we always grew green skunky kind bud and I believe breeding with purple strains is what ruined good weed but thats my 2 cents and opinions
I would look for ky bluegrass that’s probably what your talking about but just a guess

Jonestown88

Here’s Kentucky Red Hair Skunk... 34 days in.. smells like burnt hair and fresh dug fertile soil.

View attachment 12972221
Beautiful cultivar but its not ky skunk weed and does a disservice marketing it as something its not i hate the name thats afghani x burmese and was made a few years ago this is not a cornbread mafia strain its a con that’s riding the coat tails of real applachian guerilla growers that spent there life fighting for the right to grow what we want and risking it all to preserve ky skunk weed i have the rks and this isnt close and neither is puking red

Jonestown88

Bunch of homegrown honky cornbread eatin roadkill skunk havin god fearin good appallachian folk in here. Hells Bells! My kinda thread good ole boys. Sorry if i offended anyone but i love where im from! And our mountains hold some pretty rare gems genetic wise!
U damn right it does and as long as im alive and breathing it always will but sadly i did have to gift the rks cut out to preserve it but shes in good hands and shes not at risk of going extinct anymore and shes were the suits cant find her!

nick11

Veteran
Pure foul ran over dead skunk soak in skunkspray with a slight lemon on the backend and the smell translates in the taste in my humble opinion she is the goat but if your looking for rks be careful they are some people in ky claiming they have skunk that dont that ky rhs isnt rks or skunk and neither is the 96 ky skunk from og guerilla grower it has the skunkspray smell while growing but doesn’t hold it after cure but what i have here is the real rks or ky skunkbud aka ky skunk weed that made ky famous my family has been holding this cut since 88 and resides in johnson county ky and southern wv me and my brother are the only people who have this cut except for the two breeders we gifted them to! It was a hard decision to make but we dont wanna lose this valuable heirloom she is un replaceable! And bf any one ask i dont sell cuts or weed i do gift like minded people who love what i live with special things but in my world theres things that are priceless so dont come at me waving 100 dollar bills bc that will get you know were
Cmon don't tease me man, do yall have any extra seeds? I'd love to run a few of those in a grow diary. Sounds nice being it's an older variety yall have had for a while. Share more pics too plz you got me interested.

Vallen

We still have roadkill skunk in eastern ky and southern wv Ive gifted a couple of honorable breeders with the rks this month so u should be seeing some new rks hybrid in the next couple if years
You have clones or seeds available? Im in ohio, and would meet up.

Painter

Obviously not, just hype like always lol. All these people claim they have real skunk but they really don't. This is the last rks thread I ever look at hahahai ju

Im gonna be honest with ya 90 percent of the old guerilla growers are retired strung out on meth or just gave up just like the moonshiners before us prohibition and meth has just about wiped us completely out thats why i sent my rks cut to some breeders to preserve the genetics its damn near extinct now theres a few of us still around but
Seems I found some locals. I’m new here and From north eastern Kentucky myself.