What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Real OLD SCHOOL - Cherry Oil

Tynehead Tom

420giveaway
thanks for your post, my friend...

what is that stuff...?
source material...?

and what does it taste like ?
what color as spread on a paper..?

thanks, pal...

-axle

It is Red Oil.
It is very thick but is traditional Red Oil
It does not require a light shining thru it to reveal the deep red colour. It is like a deep red amber color.
It was made by curing premium trim and small bud from a multi strain run. The trim was cured for about 6 months before the hashmaking. The hash was never pressed it was instead allowed to fully dry and cure again.
Then it was frozen and added to frozen everclear for the wash.
Once drained, the solution was winterized over night and then filtered.
Then the solution was evapped at a simmering boil in a water bath untill 95% evapped.
2oz of cherry brandy was added to the roughly 2oz of oil and then transferred to a purging vessel for a proper vacuum purge.

The product is a thick, very potent oil with a rich hashy flavor accompanied by a slight hint of the cherry.

axle2u

It is Red Oil.
It is very thick but is traditional Red Oil
It does not require a light shining thru it to reveal the deep red colour. It is like a deep red amber color.
It was made by curing premium trim and small bud from a multi strain run. The trim was cured for about 6 months before the hashmaking. The hash was never pressed it was instead allowed to fully dry and cure again.
Then it was frozen and added to frozen everclear for the wash.
Once drained, the solution was winterized over night and then filtered.
Then the solution was evapped at a simmering boil in a water bath untill 95% evapped.
2oz of cherry brandy was added to the roughly 2oz of oil and then transferred to a purging vessel for a proper vacuum purge.

The product is a thick, very potent oil with a rich hashy flavor accompanied by a slight hint of the cherry.

that does sound good...

I thought of making my own cherry brandy, moonshine
through a still....and try to infuse some flavor with the solution of cherry brandy.....good points

-axle

axle2u

Great stuff

thank you....

if anyone else out there has anymore info to add, or even speculate
feel free to post, this is still an active post, and im still in pursuit of the ever elusive real 70s cherry oil recipe, or tales of...

what materials do you think were used ?
PCK, red leb, cherry pie, red congo, pananma red ??

it had to be of abundance during late 70s early 80s

-axle................................:biggrin:

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
GrayWolf is going to have D. Gold on his web site on the 15th. "Gray Wolf's lair" thread in concentrates. There you may find the answer to making old school red oil

Last edited:

axle2u

picture.php

red flower

axle2u

picture.php

this hybrid strain is called red mandarine, and in its data sheet
states it produces a red extract....interesting

recently aquired from my friends in spain
below is the data sheet on this hybrid...
pretty cool, cant wait to grow, she is in germ. mode right now

data sheet below...

picture.php

axle2u

hello again folks,

I am honored to announce here, that this red oil thread, has gained the attention of D.Gold author of Cannabis Alchemy.
D.Gold has made reference and comments recently referring to this thread, via Greywolf's new site Greywolf's Liar.

Very interesting comments, that I enjoyed reading and confirmed some beliefs i had about the elusive cherry oil
-the real stuff, not the crap they pass off today as cherry oil at dispensaries, (they have no clue what real authentic cherry oil was)

with permission the
thread is below

https://graywolfslair.com/index.php...4-6-2-red-oil-in-the-late-60-s-and-early-70-s

very good read there.....and thanks Dave
i greatly appreciate any insight you may have...

and im glad to learn that you have actually experienced the oil yourself first hand, you know what I'm talking about here..
that oil, was the best ive ever had as far as taste, flavor,
(bag appeal-looked great), good pleasant buzz...smelt great too
bright red, even a smeared paper smelt like cherry ..raw

anyways moving forward, Dave refers to red leb hash....
i also was thinking this way, over a year ago, and have tried twice now with 2 different seed companies to grow red leb
(the exact material i suspect that was used to make extract)....
all attempts thus far failed, the plants that did survive my grow turned out to be male, everytime...im out of seed and have only 1 plant left
to this day i dont know if its male or female...

what i did last year with the one surviving red leb male plant,
was create my own hybrid and crossed a red leb male X cherry bomb female
(of which i have several of these hybrids growing now)....and 1 pure red leb, sex unknown yet

also, id like to mention again another strain that fits the bill
of a hippy trail connection...PCK (pakistan citral kush) another hash plant with potential anthocyanins that turn pistils pink and red

i agree with what Dave is saying and suspected alot of it myself too.
i think the oil that i did get way back in high school days, was mass produced somewhere on the hippy trail, and exported in bulk
red leb and pck are part of the fabled hippy trail, as are numerous other strains....but these 2 strains have my attention

also isomerization and acid reflux of the extract also has my attention, and will be doing the experiments in the future

again Id like to thank D.Gold for his comments,
and a big shout out to Greywolf for making this happen and collaborating this thread with Dave -thanks guys

my 1 pure red leb, as current
(still dont know if its a boy or girl)
suspect male tho, hope for female, but ive been here before..
my reb leb X cherry bomb hybrids are doing well
as a consolation prize

my red leb below...

picture.php

picture.php

-axle bot

Last edited:

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
Leb hash came from the Bekka Valley. You can actually use sats from websites to zoom in on places where they still grow plants all over their yards. The soil looks red from afar, and green plants. Baalbek has an ancient temple, way older than the current religous BS that has torn the area apart. It was also the hotbed of hash. Zoom in, with satellite selected on the maps. I found Ballbek on the cultural link, and zoomed there. From afar you can see the red, and green.

Red red red here:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/D...ff659a!8m2!3d34.0234415!4d36.1756789?hl=en-US

Zoom closer and you can see the farms there - across the street is a red one.

What a shame the ME has torn apart. Seems to have accelerated after the anglos came in and decided to civilize the place, with some democracy thrown in, for good measure. Messed up some good dope in the process.

https://www.lonelyplanet.com/lebanon/bekaa-valley-1342227

Last edited:

axle2u

Leb hash came from the Bekka Valley. You can actually use sats from websites to zoom in on places where they still grow plants all over their yards. The soil looks red from afar, and green plants. Baalbek has an ancient temple, way older than the current religous BS that has torn the area apart. It was also the hotbed of hash. Zoom in, with satellite selected on the maps. I found Ballbek on the cultural link, and zoomed there. From afar you can see the red, and green.

Red red red here:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/D...ff659a!8m2!3d34.0234415!4d36.1756789?hl=en-US

Zoom closer and you can see the farms there - across the street is a red one.

What a shame the ME has torn apart. Seems to have accelerated after the anglos came in and decided to civilize the place, with some democracy thrown in, for good measure. Messed up some good dope in the process.

https://www.lonelyplanet.com/lebanon/bekaa-valley-1342227

thanks buddy.....sure is some red dirt all over there
be nice if i could buy some red dirt, and try grow some red leb in it
i have looked into it a bit....to see where i can buy red soil
but not that easy to source....it has crossed my mind tho

hezbulla.....and their own lebanese
government seized farmers grows....hash presses, all kinds of things by different parties for over 40 yrs, plowed down fields,
i believe i read somewhere that area has been in political turmoil for decades...

all one can do is feel empathy towards the farmers...
trying to grow and provide for their families....
its no different then a potatoe farmer trying to make an honest living for his family in north america....or a dairy farmer

these people are the same, trying to make ends meet..
thats my personal take on it....others may disagree

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
I have read that it was an element the soil that made Santa Marta gold that color. That is why I made the wild guess about the Leb. Not a bad book, that talks about the hash there in that valley before the wars, called "Smugglers Blues".

axle2u

I have read that it was an element the soil that made Santa Marta gold that color. That is why I made the wild guess about the Leb. Not a bad book, that talks about the hash there in that valley before the wars, called "Smugglers Blues".

i have read that somewhere too, about the red soil, making the plants a red,
however i have on good authority with my italian connection that sold me seed (2nd time, 2nd seed company),
that there are at least 2 different pheno types possibly a 3rd pheno. My italian source that i collborated with,
has been to bekka valley, and on farms to aquire their seed, and told me that it is a pheno type that is the red,
because they noted green plants everywhere (in red soil) and a few red ones, in the same fields with the same soil.
This is in support of their claim of it being more of a pheno type then a soil issue....
but then again, to me it is a worthy experiment to conduct, if one could get red soil, to prove myth or fact

now in canada (i live in ontario)...our province PEI has red dirt, they typically grow potatoes over there.....
but even to try and get red dirt from PEI would be a challange....and perhaps involve alot of red tape in the process,
i can hear the government asking me already, why do you want red dirt ??......lol

but it sure was interesting to clearly see all them red fields of dirt over there from that link you posted

now currently i only have 1 red leb plant, growing (very last one)
ive had terrible luck, ive bought seed twice now from 2 different sources, and ive yet to get a female.
It seems that i have loss(s) at germination, perhaps more loss(s) at transplanting...
and it seems that the only plants that did manage to survive have been male
(which last year i made my first hybrid with (red leb male X cherry bomb female) -should be good im hoping

but now onto pure red leb, i will have to order in more seed
from italy and try it again, this time with more success i hope
(3rd time is the charm they say)....i suspect the 1 remaining red leb i have currently growing outdoor is going to be another male,
i see no hairs and i see no sacs, but i have been here before....and it turns into male

i was hoping to get several ounces of material to experiment with
to see if this could be the material used to make cherry oil with
if it has the same characteristics as the oil i remember....
the color of a bright red oil, i also speculate is a byproduct of the manufacturing process by the alchemist, of said material.....
trick is first find the right material....

ps... i also assume that red soil is high in iron content, and the percieved red or rouge color is actually an iron oxide in the soil

thanks for the comments, pal...
i appreciate everyone's speculation and comments here

ax-bot

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
We have red clay around here, and I am not sure clay counts for the redness. It will grow stuff if you get enough humis mixed in to breakit up. Yellow clay, not so much.

For all I know, that redness in those sat pics is some kind of filter.

What a shame, that in my lifetime there has been such a concerted effort to rid earth of such a wonderful resource as Cannabis. Wars in the ME do not help at all.

I never appreciated the medicinal aspects of Cannabis until I got old and worn out, just liked getting high.

draztik

Veteran
I've been following the thread since the start and I have a theory. What if the process is really old, like before cannabis prohibition old. I'm assuming many pharmacist/chemist back in the day before prohibition had a lot of time and zero regulations to develop thousands of cannabis based products until they found what worked. Old process just using what hash they had available at the time.

axle2u

I've been following the thread since the start and I have a theory. What if the process is really old, like before cannabis prohibition old. I'm assuming many pharmacist/chemist back in the day before prohibition had a lot of time and zero regulations to develop thousands of cannabis based products until they found what worked. Old process just using what hash they had available at the time.

the fact that you have followed the thread from the start,
and make a comment....is great, thank you for that and thank you for your interest in the subject....there could be some merit to your point of view

you are correct in saying and pointing out to everyone involved with this thread, that ancient cannabis, its manipulations, was unregulated...for sure

good point....

however, this concoction , was/is not that ancient, it was around
70s, 80s....what makes it really difficult, is that there are no records of it whatsoever, no photographs of it....no paper trail, no videos
no information on a very taboo subject of the era...there is absolutely nothing on it....
only memories of those lucky enough to have it...
and thats me, and only 6 other people i know of....
and 3 of them, those that i shared mine with....lol

but we shall, march forward...with it
maybe one day, new avenues will present themselves

cheers mate,

-ax bot

I’ve often thought about red clay soil also adding color to finished bud. Panama red was a brick red colored bud and the soil of Panama is predominantly red clay.
I grew a zamal strain plant that I made ISO hash oil from years ago that produced red colored oil. The plant would ooze a reddish sap if a leaf stem was broke off.

axle2u

I’ve often thought about red clay soil also adding color to finished bud. Panama red was a brick red colored bud and the soil of Panama is predominantly red clay.
I grew a zamal strain plant that I made ISO hash oil from years ago that produced red colored oil. The plant would ooze a reddish sap if a leaf stem was broke off.

interesting points, thank you...

panama red is another strain on my radar as a potential source of material to produce cherry oil.....interesting comments about red clay/soil too....

now i did look up some zamal strains as you mentioned, but noted there are alot of different types of phenos and strain variations

do you happen to remember the specific strain ??

thanks,

-axle

Lrus007

Veteran
i am not saying that red or local soil makes pot different.
but i have grown red and gold pot in bagged soil.
i think it is color of the plant. not the soil it is in for color.
but different soil will change a plant. say a super soil
vs a pro mix. the same plant will be different in each soil.
Lrus007

interesting points, thank you...

panama red is another strain on my radar as a potential source of material to produce cherry oil.....interesting comments about red clay/soil too....

now i did look up some zamal strains as you mentioned, but noted there are alot of different types of phenos and strain variations

do you happen to remember the specific strain ??

thanks,

-axle
I had Seeds of Africa Zamal Reunion, but I don’t think they make anymore.
I would look to Lebanese strains also. I am almost sure there was a red hash from Lebanon in the seventies or early eighties. Lebanon was a major hash producer and North America saw a lot of black and blonde hash.
I think the combination of strain, soil, nutrition, and the way they picked and dried.
From what I’ve seen hash producing plants are cut whole plant at base, sun dried and then stored before they sift. Sun dried and long storage could oxidize the trichs or amber red color.

Latest posts

Latest posts