What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Mohan Ram, Wild Rose, Psicodelicia, and Vanilla Kush Grow

Tony Aroma

Let's Go - Two Smokes!
Veteran
Since three out of four of the strains I'm growing this time are Sweet Seeds, I figured I post my grow log here. I've grown Cream Caramel before, twice now, and really like it. So I wanted to try some other SS strains. These sounded the most interesting (and exotic) to me. So here we are.

First, a brief description of my set up and methods. Unfortunately, I can't get a good picture of the cabinet, so this 3D rendering will have to do. The space is so narrow I only have about an inch clearance when I open the doors, which means I can't get far enough back to get the whole cabinet in a picture.

picture.php

I'm using a standard double-wide wardrobe, about 48" w x 72" h x 18" d. I left the top shelf in and took out the vertical divider. In the top compartment I have a Panasonic Whisperline fan pulling through a homemade carbon filter. A power strip and the timers are also in the top compartment. I cut a hole in the left side of the shelf for intake from the grow area. In the chamber below I have two darkroom louvres for input on the right side (opposite the exhaust hole in the shelf). For circulation, I have 2 PC fans -- one on the left side blowing upwards, and one blowing on the lights. The entire inside of the grow area is painted flat white.

I have a single 400-w dual (MH/HPS) ballast, a Super Sun 2 reflector, an EYE Metal Ace bulb for veg, and an EYE Hortilux bulb for flower. I have the one PC fan blowing into the right side of the reflector, and some ducting on the left (not shown) taking the air up into the top chamber. The reflector is on chains so I can adjust its height as necessary. That's the ballast sitting on top of the cabinet.

I'm now a devoted grow bag user. I can fit 8 3-gal bags in my cabinet, as opposed to 4 of the same size pots. Although now I typically grow only four plants at a time, so it's not as big a deal, though I do have some flexibility in moving them around. The bags are sitting on a piece of eggcrate for drainage, and underneath the bags the bottom is lined with a piece of heavy drop-cloth plastic.

My medium is organic soil. I start with Fafard's soil in the purple bag, which has no additives. It lists its ingredients as top soil - 75%, compost - 15%, and peat moss - 10%. I like it better than MG organic soil, which is the only other organic soil I can get around here. It is a very rich, dark soil. To it I add perlite (about 5 to 1, soil to perlite), a little vermiculite, bone meal (flower), blood meal, ground egg shell, epsom salts, dolomitic lime, and kelp meal. Also, in the bottom half of the bags, I added mushroom compost about 50/50 with the soil mix. The seedling mix, in 18 oz plastic cups, is just straight Fafard's with some perlite added to it.

For ferts I use General Organics liquid. For veg I use their grow formula, for flower I use their bloom formula. I also add molasses to my regular water every once in a while.

Last edited:

Tony Aroma

Let's Go - Two Smokes!
Veteran
First Picture

First Picture

I started one seed of each strain in paper towels. All germinated within 48 hours and went into the soil. Within another 48 hours, all had sprouted (day 1).

Here we are at day 18, and I just transplanted the gang from their party cups to 3-gallon bags, their permanent homes. That's why they look a bit droopy, in case you were wondering.

picture.php

From left to right: Vanilla Kush (Barney's Farm), Mohan Ram, Wild Rose, and Psicodelicia.

All are about the same size, except the MR, which is noticeably smaller. It was however just as rootbound as the others when I transplanted. Nothing much else to say at this point, except that they all have VERY wide leaves. Interesting, since two are supposed to be mostly sativa and two mostly indica. We'll see how things develop, so please stay tuned.

BTW, how do you pronounce "Psicodelicia"? That "ia" on the end makes me wonder if it rhymes with "militia"?

Tommy G

:|Sweet Seeds®|:
Vendor
Veteran
Hi Tony! :tiphat:

Thanks for sharing this with us my friend :thank you:

Yep, you're in the right place to post this ;) Even the strain that is not from Sweet Seeds is very probably a nice strain, I've tried it last summer in Amsterdam in the coffeshops of the seedbank that owns and sells the strain and I loved the quality smoke. I don't know how the plant behaves, but I really appreciated the taste and effect.

About the others (Mohan Ram, Psicodelicia and Wild Rose) I have not much more to say besides what you can find in the Sweet Seeds Test Grows subforum. All great strains, easy to grow and productive. As an Indica lover Mohan Ram is one of my favourites :biggrin:

Will be interesting to watch, see you around, sweet smokes!

tommy

Tommy G

Vendor
Veteran
BTW, how do you pronounce "Psicodelicia"? That "ia" on the end makes me wonder if it rhymes with "militia"?

Yep, I think you can pronounce it with the same ending as "militia", I actually think it sounds exactly the same ;)

Keep it sweet :peppermintstick:

tommy

Tony Aroma

Let's Go - Two Smokes!
Veteran
It occurred to me that temperature might have something to do with the MR being smaller. During their second week, we had some cold temps. When the light was off, it was down around 60 F deg., maybe a little below. Maybe the MR is more sensitive to lower temps? Hopefully the cold snap is over, so it won't be an issue.

Tommy G

Vendor
Veteran
Hi again Tony!

Yeah... it could be, or not... you know that in the first stage many things can delay them a bit but after a while they usually catch up. And, anyway, Mohan Ram will always be the smaller plant from the Sweet Seeds trio you've got there, they usually don't stretch much and stay short and bushy but with very compact flowers with much more resin than the other 2 Sweet Seeds strains you've got there. You'll see :)

Sweet smokes!

tommy

jaypp

Vendor
Veteran
Hi Tony aroma,
Thanks for starting this thread and for sharing with us.
You've chosen a very nice strains and hope you enjoy them.
I'll keep passing by.
cheers!
Jaypp

Tony Aroma

Let's Go - Two Smokes!
Veteran
Update @ Day 25

Update @ Day 25

The girls are now 25 days old and enjoying their spacious new (and final) homes. (Forgot to mention, all are from feminized seeds.) No more drooping. They're all standing straight and proud, reaching for the light, which is now as low as it's going to get. (I start the light out high, the gradually lower it over the first two weeks.) All are very healthy, very sturdy-looking plants. They look a lot less lost in those 3-gal bags than they did a week ago. Except, maybe the Mohan Ram.

picture.php

They're in the same positions as before, from left to right: Vanilla Kush (Barney's Farm), Mohan Ram, Wild Rose, and Psicodelicia.

They all still have pretty wide leaves, especially the Psicodelicia. It has about the widest leaves I've seen. Hard to tell now, but on its first set, the center leaf almost completely covered the side leaves! Its second and third sets are just slightly less wide.

The Mohan Ram is still the runt of the litter. It has as many nodes as the other plants, but it's significantly smaller. I hope it doesn't end up producing significantly less.

That's about it for now. More next week, "same Bat time, same Bat channel."

Tony Aroma

Let's Go - Two Smokes!
Veteran
Update @ Day 31

Update @ Day 31

Here we are in the 5th week already. I plan to let them veg for about 9 weeks. Up till my last grow, I usually vegged them for 6-7 weeks, and I never quite made an oz per plant with 6 plants. Last grow they vegged for 9 weeks, and I got over 6 oz from just 4 plants. That extra couple of weeks makes a BIG difference! So my new strategy is to grow fewer plants and let them veg longer. I'll put the SCROG screen in when they get a little taller. With 9 weeks veg time and the stretch in flower, they should fill in the cabinet with a nice, solid canopy.

picture.php

Here they are, from left to right: Vanilla Kush (Barney's Farm), Mohan Ram, Wild Rose, and Psicodelicia. Mohan Ram is still bringing up the rear size wise, but it still has the same number of nodes as the others. I'm expecting them all to take off over the next week or so.

So far, they've had only plain water. I'll probably start feeding around week 4, since the soil was pretty well amended to begin with. I did give them their first shot of molasses in their last watering. I usually use molasses in their first watering after transplant to give the critters in the soil a jump start, but I forgot this time.

jaypp

Vendor
Veteran
Looking good there!
Mohan Ram is the most indica strain that you have, and she will be the smaller, but she have very hard and compact buds :smokeit:

Great job Tony!
Jaypp

Tony Aroma

Let's Go - Two Smokes!
Veteran
Update @ Day 40

Update @ Day 40

Here we are at day 40, and I think they should be a bit further along by now. Maybe it's the continuing cold weather, who knows? I do think their growth spurt is starting, at least for two of them, it's just not that spectacular. I just gave them liquid ferts for the first time yesterday (General Organics Grow Formula), so maybe that'll get them going. They are quite healthy though, so I don't think they're hungry. And they all have some very well-developed side branches, which you can't really see too well here.

picture.php

Here they are, in a different order this time, from left to right: Wild Rose, Mohan Ram, Vanilla Kush (Barney's Farm), and Psicodelicia. I moved the shorter plants toward the center, under the light, and the taller plants toward the outside. That way I can train them to all grow toward the center and have their main colas closest to the light. Just after this photo, I tied down the Wild Rose and the Psicodelicia, since they're just about up to the level of where the SCROG screen will go. The Mohan Ram is still the shortest. It may need a booster chair to reach the screen. The Vanilla Kush hasn't really started taking off yet, so the Mohan Ram is starting to catch up.

picture.php

Here's something I've never, ever seen before. The Wild Rose has spontaneously become a triplet! When I went to tie it down, I noticed it now has three main shoots. And I didn't top it! It just split into three all on its own. I also noticed it is by far the thickest main stem of them all. I had a really tough time bending it down, while the others are still very flexible. Always something new.

jaypp

Vendor
Veteran
wow, thanks for the update, and the beatifull pics.
I can see a very green, healthy and clean grow as usual in Tony Aroma!

Wild Rose is a very wild strain as we can see jejeje

Cheers!
Keep it Sweet and green!
Jaypp

Tony Aroma

Let's Go - Two Smokes!
Veteran
Update @ Day 45

Update @ Day 45

We're now in the 7th week, and they are definitely growing slower than usual this time. I'm starting to wonder if 9 weeks veg time is going to do it. Doesn't really matter that much, I guess. I'll put the SCROG screen in when the side branches are up to the level of the screen. Then soon after, I'll flip to 12/12.

picture.php

Here they are, same order as before, from left to right: Wild Rose, Mohan Ram, Vanilla Kush (Barney's Farm), and Psicodelicia.

All are now tied down, the two on the left bent over toward the right, and the two on the right bent over toward the left. I did the Wild Rose and Vanilla Kush last week, and they are turning back up. I did the Psicodelicia the day before this picture, and the Mohan Ram right AFTER I took the picture (in case you're wondering why it doesn't look bent over).

Until I put the screen in, I just loop a string around a branch and clip it to the top edge of the bag with a binder clip. (You can see the string hanging down from the clip on the left side of the Psicodelicia bag.) After I put the screen in, I'll remove the strings. You can now see the side branches a bit better. Which also means they're now getting more light. That's all for now.

Tony Aroma

Let's Go - Two Smokes!
Veteran
Update @ Day 52

Update @ Day 52

We're now in week 8, and it's still slow going. They still aren't tall enough to reach the SCROG screen height. Unless they have a major growth spurt, 9 weeks is not going to be enough for these four to fill in a solid canopy.

picture.php

Here they are, same order as before, from left to right: Wild Rose, Mohan Ram, Vanilla Kush (Barney's Farm), and Psicodelicia.

That's not to say they're not growing at all. You can see a clear difference in the past week. Most noticeable are the side branches, which are getting more light since the tops have been bent over. I'm guessing about two more weeks until most of those side branches are up to the height of the screen. (You can see the brackets where the screen will be mounted in the upper left and right corners of the photo.)

Also interesting is that Wild Rose triplet. Two of the three main stems are growing, but the one in the middle is still just one set of leaves. It is also by far the sturdiest of the group. Its main stem is about twice as thick as any of the others.

I've been feeding them regularly now (General Organics Grow formula), with the occasional shot of molasses. So it's up to them when they're going to be ready.

Tommy G

Vendor
Veteran
Wow Tony, really sweet :)

Next time I need to use the term "healthy plants" I may consider using this picture instead of words, hehehe ;)

Keep it up my friend, sweet smokes!

tommy

Tony Aroma

Let's Go - Two Smokes!
Veteran
Update @ Day 58

Update @ Day 58

We're in week 9 now, and still no major growth spurt. Just slow and steady. At least they look very healthy and happy.

It was getting to the point where I could no longer tie down all the side branches, so I put the screen in this week. It is now even more obvious how NOT filled in the screen really is. I think about one more week to let some off the smaller side branches get up above the screen should do it. That will allow for some continued growth after flipping to 12/12.

picture.php

Here they are, same order as before, from left to right: Wild Rose, Mohan Ram, Vanilla Kush (Barney's Farm), and Psicodelicia. Now that that the screen is in, it's going to get harder to tell which plant is which (for me too) as I continue bending an tucking to get the most light to the most leaves.

Tony Aroma

Let's Go - Two Smokes!
Veteran
Update @ Day 2 of 12/12

Update @ Day 2 of 12/12

Here we are on the morning after the second full 12-hour night. I imagine the hormones are already flowing, and these girls are getting their first taste of puberty. Little do they know that they're destined to die with their virginity intact.

picture.php

After 65 days of vegging, I flipped to 12/12. As you can see, the screen has filled in reasonably well. Should be several nice bud sites on each plant, and they're all getting plenty of unobstructed light.

I don't know if the others slowed down or what, but the Mohan Ram has caught up. It's the Psicodelicia that is now the smallest of the group. And the Wild Rose is still the biggest. It's main stem is about twice as thick as any of the others. Only 9-10 more weeks to go!

Tony Aroma

Let's Go - Two Smokes!
Veteran
Update @ Day 8 of 12/12

Update @ Day 8 of 12/12

Not much has happened over the past week. There are a few white hairs showing up here and there, but not really too many more than before 12/12. All have been showing pre-flowers since around week 3-4. And I wouldn't exactly say they are stretching. But they are continuing to grow and fill in, slow and steady as before.

I finally got around to changing the bulb yesterday, about a week into 12/12. The 400 w EYE Hortilux is now in place, filling my cabinet with orange light. Always makes me think of Halloween the first time I open the cabinet with that bulb. I've also started phasing out the grow ferts and will be ramping up the flower ferts (General Organics bloom formula) over the next few waterings. I've been feeding pretty heavily the last few weeks, and none of them seem to be having any problem with that. They're apparently very healthy, just slow growing.

picture.php

Hopefully by next week we'll start to see something resembling flowers.

I see I misspelled Psicodelicia in the photo. I'm not going to re-edit and re-upload it, so I guess I'll just have to live with that embarrassment on my permanent record.

Latest posts

Latest posts