What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

I want to ditch the reflector and go vertical...

P

pine boy

Hey all, I would like to hear some input on this.My area is 4.5' x 4.5' x 7.
I have 5 plants ,2 weeks into flower.would it be a bad idea the put away the reflector and use my bulb vertical?I have alot of a/c...plenty of fans and I want to put some more light on my girls. Seems to me the reflector wastes better than 1/2 the light. My light is 400watt hps
Any input for me ?

P

purpledomgoddes

400w vertical for that area is ok. 1 k in that area will require @ least 5k btu ac.

maintenance is issue w/ vert gardens. work out before hand how you will water/feed plant in back corner.

not always easy to rig the light vert. have surplus light for plants if cant figure out in time for dark.

place 10-18" fan facing up towards ceiling, in middle of plants.

1 1k may be max for that room, but can add couple 2' uvb fixtures, or 1 4' fixture. would not try for more in that area. should be able to get nice supply of vegetables for 5 tomato plants though!

hope this helps. enjoy your garden!

P

pine boy

Good job Marlo. Thank you both for the advise. Manana,I'm going to hang that bulb right from the rafters.Got all the items Neccesary .
I have a feeling it will work out fine:jump:

Fluke

I was doing a vert right up until today, After a while it gets a tad monotenous turning and positioning your ladies so they get adequete light. I went back to horizontal today as I think the top colas will benefit more this way. I have mainly top colas and little side branching so this works for me. I suppose its all in the planning. I've seen some fantastic vert grows recently. I think a stadium set up is optimum for this sort of grow. I assumed I'd get a lot of variation in my plants and I could put the taller ones on the outside and the smaller ones on the inside. This diddn't happen though. All plants were very uniform apart from 2, and I have 4 different strains.
Funny when you want uniform plants it rarely happens from seed.

SuperConductor

Veteran
From what I've seen turning the plants is counterproductive in vertical growing, they do much better stationary/same side facing the bulb. They use a lot of energy turning towards the light (phototropism) that would be better used making buds.

P

pine boy

Thanks for that guys. Its been 3 days and the temperatures are good plants are flowering and life is good. Any more dirt on this"phototropism" thing? I would like to know a little more about it. I mean is it really impractical to move my plants? I have been rotating them on a daily basis for 2 years
Thanks for the input

C21H30O2

I have ridden the mighty sandworm.
Veteran
You will be better off in a vert grow if you do not rotate plants. It is better that you leave them in place and let buds develop, instead place a chicken wire cage around your bulb and weave branches into it. This will insure that all foliage gets the best light without having to rotate. Remember when you rotate a plant it takes time for growth hormones to redistribute. That is time that could be used to produce more bud.

as for reaching plants in the back of the box, I built a large lazy susan which I can turn without disturbing the plants positions relative to the light.
here are a few pics of my current dual 600w vert grow. check the signature for more info.

cool this is what im lookin for recently decided to do same do to money issues n not bein able to buy a bunch of cfls lol would a 400 w vert n a 40" (tall)place be a good idea i can get alote airflow through there and i have no real other limits on dim.... n C21 thts a sick setup you got there how you build that rotating thing that looks sick!! haha n do all you put chicken wire between yer plants n light?? cuz im thnkn tht the plant would grow into it eventually?? idk bout this tho nvr tried vert....any info is great thnx...sry dnt mean to jack yr thread

johnyhash

Cannabis Connoisseur
ICMag Donor
try some benches to really make use of the verticle space and the light. My four hundred.

Attachments

• pinders 781.jpg
    pinders 781.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 65
  • pinders 938.jpg
    pinders 938.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 62
I wouldn't go vertical just yet - since you've already vegged and started flowering horiztonally.

I've seen neptune do a grow which was done that way and the plants got confused and I believe the grow resulted in scraggly, loose buds.

If your going to grow verical - veg vertical.

C21H30O2

Veteran
you dont need to veg vertical, it will actually produce stubby plants that wont take up the vertical space in your box. You want tall plants not wide plants with a vert grow. the opposite of a horizontal.

C21H30O2

Veteran
cool this is what im lookin for recently decided to do same do to money issues n not bein able to buy a bunch of cfls lol would a 400 w vert n a 40" (tall)place be a good idea i can get alote airflow through there and i have no real other limits on dim.... n C21 thts a sick setup you got there how you build that rotating thing that looks sick!! haha n do all you put chicken wire between yer plants n light?? cuz im thnkn tht the plant would grow into it eventually?? idk bout this tho nvr tried vert....any info is great thnx...sry dnt mean to jack yr thread
there is an explanation of the lazy susan in my grow diary check the signature...

P

pine boy

Thanks again for all the input on this. I like the way thing are going here but two of my plants were streching and are over the light .the heads that are over are kinda trippin but every thing else looks great.Could be a Mg. prob but I think its the light being to low for the tops.I am not going to sweat it much, Buds are comming outta here in a while .

thnx c21 but hey 1 more thing....is 40 inch high enough 4 this vert wth 400 n also how much plants do you start to veg with???cuz looks like you got sum precut holes n wonderin how you vegem..other then tht i thnk im all set lol and also what would you through the screen at like how far around the light?? shld a 400er set her at....thnx man