What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

My best cannabutter recipe - enjoy!

Loc Dog

Hobbies include "drinkin', smokin' weed, and all k
Veteran
I have a bunch of bud that has turned brown with age. Would like to salvage it, so my only thought was making cannabutter and freezing till needed. What should I do to prevent losing trichomes while watering and changing water? Would coffee filters catch trichomes?

Really appreciate this thread!!! The butter I made from sugar trim was insanely potent. 1/4th of a cookie gets you wasted and sleep deeply. Full cookie was way too much, and tripping.

Loc Dog

Veteran
Can this method be used to extract CBD from hemp. Will it extract all of the other terpenes and cannabinoids?

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
Standard dose of NyQuil just b4 bed with an 800mg ibuprofin ...

With CPAP, KOed first 4 hours... Pee... then out for another 3-4 hours. I've tried melatonin and the other methods with little success... will try the half a grain canna steeped like tea though.

Don't know why it works so well as a whole, I've dissected the individual ingredients and have obtained and taken each separately. It must be some combination of those ingredients that makes it work because individually they did nothing..

Standard dose of NyQuil just b4 bed with an 800mg ibuprofin ...

With CPAP, KOed first 4 hours... Pee... then out for another 3-4 hours. I've tried melatonin and the other methods with little success... will try the half a grain canna steeped like tea though.

Don't know why it works so well as a whole, I've dissected the individual ingredients and have obtained and taken each separately. It must be some combination of those ingredients that makes it work because individually they did nothing..

The next one who caught an overdosage. As I said, be careful with the butter if you are not used to it.

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
The next one who caught an overdosage. As I said, be careful with the butter if you are not used to it.
I know about eating the oil, 3x ODed, felt like heart attack (not that I've ever had a heart attack) and have seen otherfirst timers eat to much.. when it happens, someone always wants to call an ambulance for them.

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
I love the idea of washing/rinsing the weed first. Everytime I make oil, it tastes like crap, but works wonderfully. Makes me sleep like I'm a 17 year old.

Thanks Coco. Great thread.

yardgrazer

Heh, when I was 18 or so I made brownies, didn't know a thing about it so I just sauteed some herb in some oil and used that to make brownies. And then I proceeded to eat the entire tray of brownies.

All I really remember about it at this point was feeling super nauseous and high to the point of feeling sick, and lying in bed with the old David Letterman show on and audio hallucinating for what felt like hours.

Decarb'd some purchased bud earlier today and made cannabutter... just had some on some toast. Truthfully it doesn't taste bad at all. Will see about the effects. I imagine I'm gonna sleep good tonight.

Sign

Great thread, while reading peoples experiences in reclaiming as much butter from the leaf as possible I was thinking this might work.

After cooking step is finished place colander sized to fit inside the pot upside down over the leaf mass with water level above colander. Maybe collect oil on surface at this point. I would think additional cooking at this point where the leafy mass is trapped under the screen might allow the fat to separate from the leaf and float up through the mesh that is holding the leaf down allowing further collection without repeated transfers and squeezing.

Just a thought though

Loc Dog

Veteran
Regarding optimizing the procedure to get as much a s possible. I bought potato ricers on E-bay to really squeeze the butter out of the material. I put a few layers of cheesecloth in it. The cheap ones handles may bend from pressing heavily, but found one made by Acutos that is very heavy duty.

It is always better to try too little, than too much!!!!

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
I have been making butter for some time now - what is the end quanity u get?? - I use 2 sticks unsalted (8oz) and at the end I usually end u with 5.7/5.9 oz's ….

seems like I lose about 30/35% - and I sweeze over a colander , and pour add hot water over the weed and then sweeze again... thanks

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
I have been making butter for some time now - what is the end quanity u get?? - I use 2 sticks unsalted (8oz) and at the end I usually end u with 5.7/5.9 oz's ….

seems like I lose about 30/35% - and I sweeze over a colander , and pour add hot water over the weed and then sweeze again... thanks
I've found that the bigger the quantity of bud put in the lesser I received but if I put 2.5 sticks in (10 oz) I get 8oz return).. use ricer to squeeze. Yes, I figure 20% loss. Throw the squoze puck away. It is what it is.. maybe others do better...

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
I've found that the bigger the quantity of bud put in the lesser I received but if I put 2.5 sticks in (10 oz) I get 8oz return).. use ricer to squeeze. Yes, I figure 20% loss. Throw the squoze puck away. It is what it is.. maybe others do better...

thanks... yeah my loss is def more then 20% - next round i will try a rice.. thanks

White Beard

Instead of throwing away the pressed mass after squeezing, you could make bhang with it: add the ‘puck’ to 500ml milk/half’n’half/cream, and heat it up to ~180f for 5min (don’t boil), then take it off the heat, stir in a spoonful of honey, strain and drink. The strength of the bhang should be comparable to the strength of the ghee.

Might be just the thing to share with a friendly bedmate

Last edited:
Instead of throwing away the pressed mass after squeezing, you could make bhang with it: add the ‘puck’ to 500ml milk/half’n’half/cream, and heat it up to ~180f for 5min (don’t boil), then take it off the heat, stir in a spoonful of honey, strain and drink. The strength of the bhang should be comparable to the strength of the ghee.

Might be just the thing to share with a friendly bedmate

This is for sure the best way to get the very last rests of THC out of the cooked herb.

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
Decarbilizing

Decarbilizing

Is that how you spell it?:dunno:

This decarbilizing step? When I do it (10 min at 200*F) the bud gets burnt looking and after, the butter too. Back in the day before I heard of decarbing, I made some hell fire butter without Decarbing but let it simmer for 24 hours before straining, cool, refrig and green puck ona water! am I doing something wrong, decarbing. Tere are many ways written about how long and what temps decarbing should be done at, 200*F for 10 min sounds logical (to me) starting point. Keeping the butter pot 'boiling' for 24 hours is a PITA.

MedFaced

There is no need for a predecarb. The same reaction happens during the simmer. It’s an added step that is completely unnecessary in my experience.

Decarbing became a huge issue a few years back, coincidentally around the same time decarb boxes and merchandise for the oven hit the market.

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I'm taking farmerlion's suggestion. I have untold amount of fan, 2ndary leaves, trim....coconutcurry's recipe....going to get some ghee and clean (de-chlorphiling) the leaves in cold water, making cannabutter and donate to a few covert associations that deal with those with chronic conditions.

I won't bake, but will make a nice low/medium thc ghee product for others to bake sweet breads or other baked goods that use butter.

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=372352

Latest posts

Latest posts