What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

What exactly is in cannabis smoke & how is it affected by cotton & cellulous filters

Phaeton

Speed of Dark
Veteran
Dried bud that has been water cured for seven days weighs 25% less than dried bud that has been air cured.
The loss of weight is water soluble resins and plant sap not related to the high. ALL the THC remains in the bud.

Water cured bud should have significantly fewer contaminants any other curing method.

The Hexane extract is cleaner yet, the 80% THC level allows for even fewer contaminants than the 35% water cure.

Still, with over 80 variations on the basic cannabinoid molecule being produced in the bud, I would be interested in what the heat products are.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
"very frustrating project" and that is because the powers that be WANT researchers to be frustrated. if you are not doing research on the HARM that smoking cannabis does, you will not get to do your research...not in THIS country anyway. i would hazard a guess that the research has already been done in a govt lab, & the results squelched/buried because they did not get the desired results- "harmful, harmful, harmful...".

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
There is no such thing as clean combustion. I have grown and smoked enough of my own to know it's not going to get anymore pristine.
Compared to what I grow, most of you are growing way too much plant underneath your trichomes. The plant material is also laden with unconverted npk and micros. It's waaaaay pickier of a plant than your common veggie or fruit and this isn't common knowledge.

Go look through my other posts, you'll start to see what I'm talking about. :tiphat:

Ringodoggie

Premium user
420giveaway
Here is another twist..... (remember to remove the s in https for the link to work)

https://www.efficientcigarettefilters.com/how_do_efficient_work.html

I ordered some of these and received them today.

The link describes how they work but in summary...

Our cigarette filters DO NOT contain any chemicals, they simply use centrifugal force. As the smoke is drawn into the cigarette filter it passes through small holes which causes the smoke to spin at speed in a whirlwind effect, this forces the heavier particles (mainly tar but also other hazardous substances) to the outer edge, where it sticks to the inside of the cigarette filter wall.

Couple comments..

The draw through this tip is a very hard draw. Nothing like a joint or unfiltered cigarette. A little more than a filtered cigarette.

For me, that is awesome. I have been told I take giant hits and I can run through a regular cigarette in about 5 hits. So, having a hard draw is great for me because I get the feel of a giant hit.

The company claims each filter is good for up to 5 cigarettes but after one joint, the filter I tested is full almost to the top. So, it looks like 1 joint per filter. I bought 150 of them for $7 off eBay.

The smoke is definitely cooler from the filter because I can take a giant hit with no cough or irritation at all.

As HasmastaKut said in the rosin thread, no smoke is going to be good for you. But, the worse part about smoke is the tar so, removing tar from the smoke is not a bad thing.

Now, what else is being removed from the smoke via this method? Are any of the cannabinoids or terps being held back with the tar?

Inquiring minds want to know. LOL

I am testing my second filter and this one draws a tiny bit easier. We'll see if this joint fills a filter again.

My band is playing tonight so I can get some various opinions tonight since I'll be smoking with a bunch of different people.

Curious twist. I must say, I like these better than the cotton alternatives.

Comments?

Ringodoggie

Premium user
420giveaway
Popular opinion from last night indicates that most people think this filter makes the draw way too hard.

Like I said in my last post, I like a harder draw than most. However, I have to admit, about half way though the joint, when the tar starts to build up, the draw gets pretty darn tough.

The other question of what else is trapped in the tar was also addressed. Albeit, I am using musicians as test subjects and not scientists. Or, even real people. These are mostly musicians so take it all with a grain of salt. LMAO

But... every one agreed that during the 60's and 70's if you ran out of pot, you went to your drawer and pulled out a pipe and cleaned it. And, EVERY TIME, you got a buzz.

That crappy ash and gooey filthy tar left behind in your pipe would definitely get you high.

So, according to the musician's popular opinion... LOL Yes, there is definitely THC in that tar.

So, we are loosing something. Now, is the trade off worth it. Am I loosing 90% of the dangerous tar for a trade-off of only loosing 1% of the THC?

Inquiring minds want to know. ;)

When I get my TLC setup going, I can do a THC potency test on the tar that's left behind in these filters. Should be easy enough to take them apart and collect the tar.

Ever forward Mr White.

Latest posts

Latest posts