What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

"Show us ya cuts!"

Sup stoners:smokey:

Well down here in the south... spring is just around the corner and if you're anything like me you're planning long before any seeds touch the soil, whether you're outdoors like me or indoors like others here, planning is key.

This year I'm planning on mainly growing minis. Because I grow guerilla style in the city, it can be tough to find premium spots to grow larger plants. It's easier to find open spaces to plant minis and the end result is often preferable to plants grown in sub-optimal conditions, regardless of size.

The benefits to this style of growing are numerous and pretty well explained in Julians Massive Outdoor grow thread in the outdoor section of the forums.

The challenge in this method is acquiring the numbers of female plants to create a garden that is worth the time, effort, money and risk. Without large numbers of fem seed the only other option available to me is clones/cuttings this again is limited by space. This would be relatively simple if I had a large enough space to pre-grow everything indoors (pre-sex and clone) , but I dont.

In my part of the world its quite an undertaking just to find space to grow seeds to fruition let alone pre-sexing and propagating through cloning. So many more opportunities for error in this method for growing so I'll be looking for strategies to improve my success rates at each stage. Ive

I've broken down what I want to achieve in a basic plan which is:

1. Find mother plants
2. Take a shit-load of cuts
3. Put them out

:greenstars::greenstars::greenstars:

Some of the details of these steps include building my own Aero-cloner, selection for mothers from strains like Malawi, Hindu Kush, SSH, c99, Frisian Dew, Lemon kush which are all in regular seed form. Finding appropriate real estate to establish these little gardens will be also be a priority that will be addressed in this thread. Guerrilla tactics will be employed, sweat is certain, blood is likely and a ton of fun should be expected.

So waddya reckon?
Show us ya cuts?

I'll show you mine if you show me yours...:biggrin:

High Country

Give me a Kenworth truck, an 18 speed box and I'll
Veteran
This is the time of year to start clones. Here 50 of them, all have roots. From a past grow.

High Country

Give me a Kenworth truck, an 18 speed box and I'll
Veteran
Here's another 50 clones, all have roots.

You don't need an aero cloner....waste of time.

So where are the pics of your clones?

ozzieAI

Veteran
after years of cloning i am starting to have a hard time getting cuts to form roots...starting to make fem seeds...tried dirt (favourite method), water (slow but works...mostly) and bubble cloner (more trouble then it is worth...at times)

seeds are easy...just dump in dirt...

now some eye candy

Female Seeds

Pure AK
picture.php

ICE
picture.php

Here's another 50 clones, all have roots.

You don't need an aero cloner....waste of time.

So where are the pics of your clones?

Hey HC nice looking clones mate, I'm still at step one of my plan... find mothers. If I had space to keep mothers indoors I definitely would, how long had your clones been rooting for when you took the pic? Even though we're all doing the same thing people tend to develop there own methods based on whats available to them, be it space, equipment, or knowledge. Whats your general method for cloning HC?

Ive tried a few different cloning methods, with differing degrees of success. From what I've seen, none develop roots as fast as aero-cloning, not saying its the best or necessary, just fast.
I'm not even a big DIY guy but Ive seen the tutorials online and it seems very do-able.

Because I have very little space(closet) to do any indoor growing most of my mothers will come from the regular season and any clones rooted indoors will need a quick turnaround time to allow more to be cut, hence the aero-cloning idea. Dont get me wrong, I'll still likely take a bunch and do them the "old-fashioned way" cut in a bit of medium under a light mist/dome, wait for roots... some vitamin b.

Like HC there would be a few who would be putting out clones for a spring harvest around now, I was always a bit disappointed with the immaturity of the buds from plants flowering with with the daylight hours increasing, that could've been solved with a strain with a shorter flowering time. Around here any sexually mature clones put out between now and October will likely begin flowering and reveg in Nov/Dec. Timing is key when working with clones, you can use that timing to get early flowers, or mis-timing and pre-flowering could cost you a month or two of vegetation growth.

The majority of my cloning will be done in the new year, until then I'm just "setting the scene", shooting the sh!t. There will be pics eventually, for now there's just seeds. Seeds and a dream...

after years of cloning i am starting to have a hard time getting cuts to form roots...starting to make fem seeds...tried dirt (favourite method), water (slow but works...mostly) and bubble cloner (more trouble then it is worth...at times)

seeds are easy...just dump in dirt...

Hey ozzie, thanks for the candy bro, reminds me of the end goal.

Im pretty sure all growers have experienced some failures in cloning. There are even strains that wont clone. So many different factors to consider with cloning.

The price of fem seeds is ridonculous and like you Ive been experimenting with making fem seeds with CS. I'll be giving it another go this year, last year I struggled to get any viable pollen.
I dont suppose anyone out there has fem-pollen they could spare? Haha... gotta put it out there sometimes
I'm with you 100% about seed over clone, especially for my style of grow, low/no maintenance.

A little poetry to conclude...

Guerilla growers are nuts,
So show us ya cuts!

:peacock:

peace.

ozzieAI

Veteran
a friend made fem seeds a couple of years ago and he made hundreds of them..i still have 100 or so left. i have one clone i am going to hit with CS and will cross it with it's self and another strain. looking forward to mixing and matching...pollen chucking at it's basic finest...

a friend made fem seeds a couple of years ago and he made hundreds of them..i still have 100 or so left. i have one clone i am going to hit with CS and will cross it with it's self and another strain. looking forward to mixing and matching...pollen chucking at it's basic finest...

My all-time favourite pollen chucking is the old fashioned plant-on-plant style, maybe its a sexual thing... haha. Only downside to that is the need to grow every male plant to sexual maturity to

Pollen chucking is much more basic than making fem seeds, especially if you make the CS yourself. Beyond the CS there's the timing and frequency of the spraying, producing viable pollen... my point is that pollen chucking is easy... using pollen every regular male plant produces to pollinate a female flower.

Lets talk about the CS spraying timing and frequency that has worked. I got a few plants to create male flowers but no pollen.

picture.php

Even as the flowers were opening and falling off there was no spunk.

ozzieAI

Veteran
my friend had the same issue, but he ground his male flowers up and spread them over the girls and got heaps of seeds...

there's spunk in there...you just have to release it...

oldbootz

Veteran
Some females do not have the genetic capacity to make pollen. They are sterile in the male form. If you reverse these kinds of females you will get sacs with nothing inside. This is great for a keeper clone because it will never seed up your grow. But not so great for fem seed. If you are making an out-cross, there is a good chance that the other fem will make pollen if the first one didn't.

ozzieAI

Veteran
Some females do not have the genetic capacity to make pollen.

really? not hassle but i can't see how this is possible. from what i have read and seen if you change gender via CS then plant gender (F - M) will reverse and pollen will reflect this sex change..ie male flowers will have some level of pollen...No?