What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Vert room help.

bosboy

Hello all, I am attempting my first vertical grow and have a question. I have a bedroom that's 10*10 I was wondering if I hung my 400w MH in the middle of the room and surround it with 6-10 2 gal containers would that work. The closet in the room will be too small for my liking. Also is there a way to do a perpetual vert grow with clones and limited veg. Thanks in advance.

Peripheral

You could hang the light in that room, but you would still want a way to reflect the light back in towards the light, something around the plants to reflect light back, perhaps in a circle around the plants.

You could get away with a smaller veg area, but you would want to isolate it from your bloom area, or make sure its light tight if its going to be in the same room.

gr866

Veteran
Hello all, I am attempting my first vertical grow and have a question. I have a bedroom that's 10*10 I was wondering if I hung my 400w MH in the middle of the room and surround it with 6-10 2 gal containers would that work. The closet in the room will be too small for my liking. Also is there a way to do a perpetual vert grow with clones and limited veg. Thanks in advance.

400W is way to small for that room, in that size room you could do a vertical tree grow. I run a 400W in a 4x4 tent. With that light you could put 5, maybe 6 plants.
Indoor Vertical Grow Systems 101

Previous grow 5 plants on screens, single 400W.

One of the plants from that grow.

This picture is my set up for my next grow, doing stacked 315W CMH and 400W HPS.

In this pic it shows the stand for the bottom light the 400W. The 315 will be hung at the top. I can move the plants anywhere from 14" to 21" from the lamps.

Hope this helps, and good luck. Put a lot of homework into this, as much as I did, I have still spent to much $$$ on my set up. It will pay for itself over time. I only grow for my own meds.

GR

bosboy

Well, if that's too big what about the closet it's 5'long, 2' wide,6' high.maybe I can do 3-5 2gal containers. I just thought it was to small for a 400w MH.

bosboy

Really, I would like to hear some ideas on a 5*2 closet....I believe I'll get the best use out of my light if I go vert.can't really do doughnut with only two ft. Width...I'm thinking maybe only two 3-5gal one on each side of very light.positive opinions welcomed.

Earlmarne

You build some screens like gr866 with some reflectix backing I don't see much downfall to the bigger room. Just keep the girls close to the bulb and have you a fan pushing air up.
Idk much about this stuff though, just finishing my first vert grow

betshtick

Should work great. Maybe use the small closet for veg, or that's plenty of space to partition out a veg/bloom room.

Perpetual is easy enough. If you have an 8wk strain, have 8 plants in flower and 9 in veg (8 + mom). Rotate one each week. So every week: harvest one plant, rotate the largest plant from veg to take it's place, plant a rooted clone to keep veg full, and take 1-2 new cuttings.

Periodically flower out the mom and let the largest veg plant take it's place to prevent it from getting too big/bushy. Assuming you haven't found a new strain to try by then :)

betshtick

Really, I would like to hear some ideas on a 5*2 closet....I believe I'll get the best use out of my light if I go vert.can't really do doughnut with only two ft. Width...I'm thinking maybe only two 3-5gal one on each side of very light.positive opinions welcomed.

I'd use that for veg. A 4' 4 bulb T5 should be just perfect. A small exhaust fan or a couple CO2 bags and you're good to go.