What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

hellfire's Landrace Library

hellfire

Hi all! This is going to be the thread I will use to organize/track landrace grows. It could be considered an extension to this thread in which I listed some of the seeds I have been sitting on: https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=341074

I hope to bring out some rare and unique genetics to share with you all. These are going to be ongoing projects that I will be trying to preserve and open pollinate lines as well as experiment with crossing on each other. There will also be some testing involved to look for more unique cannabinoid profiles and I look forward to the kinds of treasures I will find :dance013:

Strap on in and come along for the ride :tiphat:

First up I'd like to introduce this Mini Malawi from Afropips seeds, it is a male and the first of the first round of germination that came out. I really do like the structure, it is very nice and christmas tree like, nice branch spacing. There are a few crosses I already have in mind for this one ahead of preservation goals, so the first round with this male will not be pure landrace or preservation based. I have 3 more seeds coming up of the Mini Malawi in a second germination round and after that I can begin to try to make more, I am betting a female or two will turn up.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Truhan

very good project, I wish you good luck. I'll be watching your progress.

Afopips? uff there you have a little jewel.

that you can tell us about the history of those seeds.

greetings and luck

resin_lung

I cough up honey oil
Veteran
Looking forward to following your project.

I've wondered about that mini Malawi since I first heard of it.. Curious if phylos has gotten a sample.

Satta

Nice!
Would love to see the Uzbeki line you have listed on thread link. Do you know the background of this line?

hellfire

Just to add, I'm not working this project alone. I have a partner and we want to bring out these seeds for everybody to have a chance to get some landrace genetics. :tiphat:

Looking forward to following your project.

I've wondered about that mini Malawi since I first heard of it.. Curious if phylos has gotten a sample.

The good folks at Phylos have offered us free genetic testing for these landraces. Can't wait to see the results, I'm hoping that landraces can offer a good genetic background for our modern day hybrids and we can start to make the map bigger/find out whats what, etc. :)

Nice!
Would love to see the Uzbeki line you have listed on thread link. Do you know the background of this line?

Unfortunately I think I may have misplaced those seeds or read a label wrong. :frown:

But I don't plan on stopping collecting anytime soon. There's a good chance some will be gotten in the future. Gotta catch em all!

hellfire

Update

Update

Here are the other seedlings of the mini malawi I was able to sprout. 2 look like definite females :woohoo:

However the other one is iffy to me, it seems to want to show both male and female parts and we can't have that. They all need to be transplanted pretty soon, I'll wait and see before I decide on chopping it.

picture.php

Last edited:

Cvh

Supermod
Subbed. :lurk:
I would love to see you also grow the Moroccan and Afghani.

hellfire

Subbed.
I would love to see you also grow the Moroccan and Afghani.

Hi Cvh,

There are 3 Moroccans going. There are 2 males and 1 female. I sprouted 5 of the Afghani but they are in gallons and need to be transplanted. Don't have any shots of them yet. Here's some leaf pictures:

Moroccan

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Now here is the Jordan
Started this awhile ago, still have some seeds left. Out of what started (5 seeds) we ended up with 3 females. Originally 4 popped but one withered out. I really like the leaves on this one, it has some nice serrations.

picture.php

picture.php

That's all for now folks! : )

hellfire

Lashkargah

Lashkargah

Here are some pictures from Lashkargah F2 seeds.

This is a particular nice looking female, 11 fingered leaves and very fat.
picture.php

picture.php

Here is a male.

picture.php

Now I have taken clones off these because they are wearing out their welcome in these pots/soil.

But has anyone here had experience with the Lashkar before? Did it do this weird fan leaf decaying kind of thing? It starts on the bottoms and goes up, they just kind of curl up and die off. It does this even when it has good soil with plenty of food.

When growing it once before it had this trait. Curious as to other experiences.

The Vintage Afghanis have been transplanted, hope to get some pics up this coming week :tiphat:

thejact55

Looks like possible a deficiency- calcium or pottasium, or a ph problem...
I could be wrong but it looks like one of these 3 things.

oldbootz

Veteran
Looks like possible a deficiency- calcium or pottasium, or a ph problem...
I could be wrong but it looks like one of these 3 things.

i second this. some varieties don't process nutrients how you would expect and need individual care.

oldbootz

Veteran
i see you have labled seeds :
Swazi
Southern African Durban

1. When were these seeds gathered from the original locations?
2. Did you get to try out the bud that the seeds came with? Any opinions? Type of high?

I'm in love with these two varieties and I have grown many out over the years and now I'm busy trying to inbreed some swazi to get rid of undesirable phenotypes, increase resistance to powdery mildew, and stabilize an anise flavor I found in one of them.

Durban types seem to have a lemony citrus anise terpine profile with very thin leaves and an uplifting energetic high. Some can be sweet some not. Smoke seems to burn a bit going down the throat. Flower time usually around 14-18 weeks.

The swazi has a lot of variation because its widely grown. Leaves are usually much wider than the Durban sativa types.

Some types will give dry mouth, red eyes, munchies and then sleep. These are I think related to highland indian ancestral ganja or perhaps influence from morrocan trade. The taste of these can be acrid, cigar tobacco, oils, wood, earth. Flower time can range from 12 weeks to 20 weeks. Appearance is loose, airy brown sativa stacked buds. Most old smokers in the area will remember this type being the most common from 90s-2005ish.

Some types will give a trippy, anxious effect thats less lethargic. Smells range from acidic, grassy, anise, citric. Appearance is green sometimes airy sometimes dense sativa elongated buds. These types are fairly common to find still now 2017.

Some types that appear more field worked will fetch more money per weight unit. They smoke smoother and have a more refined sweet taste (the other types don't have sweetness at all). Smells of hash brick, cigar tobacco, spices. The high from this type is usually a pleasant social type high. I often can find trippy ones. Its like a blend of the other types but less wild.

Most of the swazi will grow very tall very quickly. And the fact you can find quick flowering types in there (12 weeks) means they should be quite useful in sativa x sativa hybrids to tame a long flowering sativa without introducing indica wld genetics. The tallest swazi plants I saw were around 6-7 meters high.

The durban seems to grow more like a hedge. It has thin stems and it falls over and branches out laterally. Creating a mass of small sativa pencil buds.

Indoors the africans can make quite different terpines to what you would find on the bud sold to you from a field. By the time the stuff gets to you its been handled and squashed and sun dried etc and has lost all of the volatile terpines. The more delicate smells can range from frankincense, perfume, cherry, mint, basil. A vaporizer does a good job at displaying the incense smells from the street bought buds.

hellfire

Long time no post.

oldbootz, no I unfortunately did not get to smoke either the Swazi or the Durban. I have just started to germinate some of the Durbans so we'll see as the grow, I'll try to get some more info though. The Swazi did grow tall and fast. Its leaves started out wider for sure, and turned thinner when it got taller. I need to get more info on both of these but this Swazi in veg sounds more like that tobacco/woody acrid smelling type.

Well as of now I have taken cuts from most of the landrace seedling moms. I also have gotten the male mini malawi to root so it may be time to kill off the 'dad' from seed. Here's a pic of it now, pretty big and has definitely outgrown its pot.

picture.php

This guy was not the easiest to get rooting. In the cloner it took rather long, easily over 2 weeks. In a tray however it did better and about normal cloning time.

I have taken cuts off the females and hoping to see them root soon. Then it may be the right time to get them into flower for making more seed. Or maybe to smoke ;)

Now here is something maybe some of you have been waiting for. The Vintage Afghani.

These reek. We have 4 females and one male that looks like a real stud. He has some great branching and nice looking leaves.

One of the females I was taking cuts off started stinking. Instantly I was brought back to buying weed as a young one, I know this smell from years ago. This is that old classic stinky afghani. I really think it is. Time will tell upon flowering out but if the veg smell is anything of a preview we are in for a treat.

picture.php

picture.php

I have some more pictures to get up. The Afghanis are some of the prettiest things I've seen awhile and so are the Mini Malawis.
I bet they'll make great babies together.

Ta ta for now...

Latest posts

Latest posts