What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

SEARCHING for winner CheeseHaze, AfghanDieselHaze and SourPoison Keepers

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
SEARCHING for winner CheeseHaze, AfghanDieselHaze and SourPoison Keepers

have now grown out both the AfghanDieselHaze and the CheeseHaze a few times, have used numbers from 20 seeds per strain to 120 seeds, so by now i really know what the seeds are producing and i figured it's time to actually keep some of these amazing specimins as mothers for future runs. it is the best option on many levels so thats the plan.

this run i planted 38 seeds of my CheeseHaze and 34 of my AfghanDieselHaze and 8 SourPoison that were given to me at the 420. now i have 72 plants growing strong and a clone of each in the rooting stage. my cats killed a couple of seedlings when the plants were so delicate that nibbling on the leaves is a big NO NO! but for some reason my cats don't get the concept. :)

anyway i switched them to 12/12 today, time to find out which are the males and which the females, not planning to keep any males unless there is a specially strong and fast growth and flowering characteristics.

anyway this thread will probably be a really long one as i intend to run each females at least 1 or 2 x more to decide which are the final keepers. from previous runs, i got some idea of what i'm looking for, although i want to take plenty of time to make the final choice, i want to be sure about things like a good shelf life and how it ages, how resilient the genetics are against the local powdery mildew. yeah i'm gonna try and select the 1 or 2 best out of the 72 plants. i know it's not a huge number to select from, but as this is not about breeding, but finding a good keeper to produce what i have come to consider cheese haze, or the afghan diesel haze. you all know how much faster and more efficient it is to grow from clone.

will add a couple of pics from the vegging and clone making stage to get you up to date. you will see that the plants have been vegged a lot more then i normally do, i hope and pray i didnt let them go too far.

to be continued...

edited to add some pics from a couple of weeks back when i'd just planted them on the coco slabs. they look quite different now, lol.

the 4 cubes on the left middle of this pic are the SourPoison cubes, some of the seedlings were a bit slow and got left behind a bit, so those i didnt managed to clone, but they would be too slow growing anyway to be keepers. 2 seedlings per cube is the rule, but 1 or 2 got killed by my cats and a couple just didnt make it even though they looked ok when being planted.
picture.php

ah yes here are the SourPoison again
picture.php

back 3 coco slabs are full of cheese haze on the left side and the front 2 slabs are AfgD.H. on the right side of the table it's the other way around except for the 4 cubes occupied by the SP. complicated i know, just imagine having to keep track of which plant is which clone lol. gave them numbers and made a place map, lol...
picture.php

picture.php

Last edited:

mack 10

Veteran
Good to see, love a good selection run, gets hard labelling with numbers, matching clones etc,.
good luck.Is the sourpoison by Dr D? (killer if it is?)
ps, still got some of your beans mate, gonna pop em soon.
mack.

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
nice to have you guys along for the ride. here we got some pics i took between the last batch and day 1 of 12/12

the day i switched to 12/12
picture.php

heres a pic of 1 of 4 batches of clones i made, used the cups to keep track of which is which.
picture.php

here we see the SourPoison
picture.php

picture.php

as you can see i vegged quite long, lol
picture.php

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
and some more pics from the Veg and clone making phase
picture.php

right 2 rows are CH, left back afgDH, middle front SP
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
Nice and full.

hehe, you said it, very full. this is a good way to find the strongest fastest most vigorous growing plants. i did top them all about 10 days before i made the clones, so these plants should be real mature now as they had a really long veg time. should have superb roots.

found the first few male looking plants, as well as a whole bunch showing female preflowers. will be interesting to see the female to male ratio.

ahh yes, only 8 days after making the clones i have about 35% rooted, so those are some fast rooting specimens, am noting the fastest rooters for future reference. it remains to be seen if they are even females lol. as i kill the males i will kill the equivalent clone. till i have only the female clones left which will then become mums till i further select and cull.

am tempted to use the strongest male to pollinate a lower branch of the SP, could be interesting, on the other hand i'm loath to risk seeding the sensi which can happen so easily when trying to pollinate just a branch or 2.

more pics from the veg phase, i'm afraid they are not in the right order, but you can work it out.
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
last veg pics

last veg pics

cloning set up, do you think that 1 fluro is enough? have been using a 200 watt cfl set far away, but with the heat right now and the price of power i thought the fluro should be enough for rooting? so far it looks good as the first third or so have roots.
picture.php

picture.php

SourPoison
picture.php

so even though it's really packed in there right now, don't forget that about half the plants are normally males, which will be culled giving the left over females more space. if it's still to cramped i will cull some more, but in the end this is about testing as many as possible, so even if some are small, i'm still interested in their effects and taste etc. last time i had 1 of the Cheese haze ladies that tasted just like the classic ecsd, that kind of rhubarb taste, very strange really how totally different she was to the others. will be interesting to see if those genetics show up again.

anyway will take new pics tomorrow, it will be day 7 of 12/12.

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
for my record...

for my record...

so on the 9th day since i made them, the following clones have roots:

CheeseHaze: 6, 10, 15, 18, 21, 69, 63, 74, 73, 72

AfghanDieselHaze: 28, 32, 34, 52, 46, 40, 39, 45

Sour Poison: 49, 58, 59, 66

time will tell what sex they are...

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
Note: day 8 of 12/12

so far i got 24 males out of there, all the nice bushes left now are females, i have 1 or 2 runts that didnt show sex yet. so far it's looking like a great ratio of females to males.

1 thing i am noticing every time i do seeds in this grow, i always get a concentration of males right where the fresh air intake is. i mean it's totally weird as the whole area where the intake comes in has turned male, while the rest of the space is evenly occupied by males and females, except that there were more females then half the plant count for sure. i mean only 24 males out of 72 seedlings would be damn awesome, but makes the concentration of males in that 1 place even stranger imo. unless this is a known phenomenon and i just never heard about it. as i say this is not the first time. it happened 3 times that i ran seeds instead of clones in there.

for the record, the finished plants will probably just fit by the time they are ripe, i can see vertical space becoming a big problem, think i better start bending down those mad quick stretching specimens. as soon as i am sure i got every last plant sexed i will try and thread them through my net. normally i just spread it early and the clones stretch into it. but i don't want to spread the net over them when i don't even know if they are male or female.

on the whole the planting 2 seedlings in every hole is working well, there are many cubes where it worked perfectly and you had 1 male and 1 female in each except for this patch by the air intake is all; machomachomachoman! all male plants just in front of the intake, and it's not like it's even cold or anything. why would you keep getting just males in front of the intake? can this be related to the air even?

plants seem to be hungry as hell, making all those branches and doing all that fast stretching takes quite some nutrients, as the majority of the ladies fan leaves are quite light green i upped the ec from 1.5 to 1.7 will reduce again a bit when the stretch phase is done and when i see the right color leaves on em.

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
Day 14 of 12/12

Day 14 of 12/12

here some pics from day 14 of 12/12, they are showing flowers much faster this time then when i flowered them really small. this was my hope, now i just hope they don't stretch too far, have been bending the most vigorus ladies down.

so far we have 32 confirmed males
3 unknown small drowned plants
37 clear females

loving the way the SD is growing, talk about vigor! fat stems and fast growth.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
couple more from day 14 of 12/12

couple more from day 14 of 12/12

Sour Poison 66, she's the strongest fastest of the SP ladies so far. as you can see i have had to tie down the main top, but there are a few other tops from that plant that will be left to grow normally.
picture.php

picture.php

here we have another of the Sour Poison ladies
picture.php

cheese haze on the edge, shows how big they are...
picture.php

G

growcodile

gaius riding the coco train with amazing genes .. how could i not tag this ?? :D

LAION

Veteran
Woah nice thread G. Can't wait to see some flowers. Keep it up. I'll be checking every now and then.:woohoo:

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
Day 21 of 12/12

Day 21 of 12/12

gaius riding the coco train with amazing genes .. how could i not tag this ?? : D

nice to have you along man.

Woah nice thread G. Can't wait to see some flowers. Keep it up. I'll be checking every now and then.woohoo:

great to have you along as well, with any luck we can all smoke some of this together in Ams, LOL. planning to run the winners from this run for quite a while. upgraded my veg space ventilation a bit to make sure the moms will stay as healthy as possible. really can't wait for the big testing session, hehe. will have to take notes about every single plant to have a chance of making some selections. but as i want to look into the long term shelf life as well, i'll need to run the best ones multiple times to select the best representation or 2 of each strain.

anyway as can be seen the AfgD Haze is stretchy as hell, one of the SourPoison ladies is also amazingly stretchy. love those strains as it saves you vegging them for ages. of course the end product is what it's all about, but i do know how my crosses are and none but 1 plant have disapointed from 200 seeds sprouted and grown over time. while the Chees Haze has never let me down, not 1 girl, lol.

so here we have pics from day 21 of 12/12

some are flowering faster then others, got 1 plant right near the door that is stretchy as hell and has hardly started showing flowers that i might cull her to give the others some room and not have to wait an extra week or 10 days just to finish 1 plant. we will see.

picture.php

see the valley, it's because 2 of the Sour Poison just aren't as stretchy as the others.
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
as time passes you will be able to tell them apart better...

picture.php

picture.php

sour poison area
picture.php

those shimmering plants are SP
picture.php

these are the 3 Sour Poison tops from one lady
picture.php

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
Pics from day 29 of 12/12

Pics from day 29 of 12/12

Beautiful plants GM. Subbed for the show :biggrin

welcome aboard man. yeah plants are not bad, although i think the heat we are having is not exactly great for them. also i somehow under estimated their water use and let them get dry for a few days, lol. the slabs were totally weightless, luckily the plants didnt get too badly fazed.

a couple of the plants were leaning over when i took these pics so you don't see all the colas. have tied them up now. starting to take notes about which plants i like the most in terms of growth structure and speed, stretch etc.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
day 29 of 12/12 cont.

day 29 of 12/12 cont.

looks like some of them are planning to make nice long colas. it's really cool how stretchy the SourPoison is, looks like a plant that will sog beautifully without wasting a lot of time vegging. man i can not wait to smoke that Sour Poison. never had it before, so it will make a real nice change.

picture.php

SourPoison top, the fastest stretching phenotype...
picture.php

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
well i got a slap in the face last night checking the plants, not sure how, but my pumps timer some how did a reset. this deleted the watering programs and left it flashing in the off position. as we are having a real hot summer and the plants are fairly large for coco slabs, they used the water up super fast and when i checked on them they were all really badly wilted. real bummer. hate posting shit like this, but it is what it is. lets hope most of them recover. gave them a giant watering and turned the lights off a few hours early. am thinking some aspirin in the tank might be a help. i dread looking at them when the lights come on next.

Latest posts

Latest posts