What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Why did this seedling die?

Hen

It looks like my seedling died :(

Just before the first leaves opened, it seems to have withered at the top of the stem. I've had it happen a couple of times with tomatoes too. Does anyone know why this usually happens.

G4RrNtf.jpg

Thanks.

Weedninja

Sometimes you get a freak that was too weak to live, but usually when they wither it means they were attacked by a fungus or bacteria.

Hen

Temps were 22-25C (71-77F). The mutant theory sounds promising. I just realised, since I'm using a previous grow's soil, it wouldn't have been fertiliser toxicity would it?

Yesterday, I just soaked another seed for 6 hours, then planted it. I'll keep the soil a little dryer this time.

Yes, don't use another grows soil. If you absolutely have to then you need to properly flush it. Soil is cheap though and salt build up occurs over time so you are better off spending a few bucks on a new bag of soil or two each grow.

ISM2

Allow the top 1-1.5" of soil to dry before watering. Your soil looks drenched.
Do the pots you're using have adequate drainage?
Don't use previous grow's soil if you can avoid it.

oldskol4evr

yea def overwatered ,seedling only need to be watered with a spray bottle with some clonex in there, sprat the soil around the stem dont spray plant.
keep in mind that its roots are small and you dont have to water the whole cup until i matures a bit,it looks like you have it in a solo cup ,do you have drain holes in bottom of it,you also need to have a small breeze blowing to build strong stem,not directly on it but were it can get a little movement .keep your light close to it were it dont stretch to much,use the back of your hand method,place your hand on the canopy wait 30 sec if it was uncomfortable to the back of your hand, move your light up some,hope this helped a little

N

NoSocSlic

Its usually a good idea to start several just for that reason. They don't all make it. I Agree with the above posts, overwatering will do it. They don't need a lot. Weed likes to be dryish most of the time. I water every 4 to 7 days or so, but it also all depends how much the roots are soaking up. When its almost nothing you can leave the watering alone until the roots stretch out, actually less water makes roots grow more.

The most important things to learn are your proper watering schedule, repotting schedule, and pH. Getting those perfect can prevent 50 different headaches at least.

MountainBudz

⛽🦨 Kinebud and Heirloom Preservationist! 🦨 ⛽
Definately would say dampening off, soil had to of been way too moist, not enough air flow and fresh air, or maybe extremely high humidity also! Better luck next time!