What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

A starter's quest for the good good

Monyo

So... I've done some search for T5 lamps and I don't think they have the sizes that can fit my hood, because it's only 32" wide.

Do all of you agree to make me switch lights? Or do you have any better suggestions?

Currently, I have 2 CFL's on 1620 lumens

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
I've seen T5 lamps and fixtures starting at 20 cm long (under 10 inches). So I am sure you can find some that are suitable size for your space.
I'd say, even if you don't change lights, you can always add more. It will sure help, as long as you can manage the temps.

Monyo

Thanks for that @exploziv, I think I'm just gonna add up more 1620 lumens CFL's. When I get my imported seeds I'm gonna go for 3 daylight 1620 lumens CFL's and 1 warm white with same power. That good?

Former Guest

You could get the 2 foot long ones which will have a reflector and add the bulbs on each end or add more light sockets. you can never have too many CFLs as they give off very low light. Get some in soft, warm white and daylight for best growth like suggested. Maybe 1 soft white, 2 daylight and then the warm lights.

Monyo

@ladyluckbean

2 foot long T5's? It's hard to find here T5's with built-in reflectors. I'm open for changing lighting method.

Monyo

Hello, almost on it's 4th week:
image_0000066_zpszjhuyojf.jpg

image_0000067_zps0gu4w12l.jpg

I also transplanted to a much larger and better pot. (forgot to take a picture) with EWC layers.

3 1600lm CFL's now at one side of the hood. 1 for the seedlings.

How many times should I water now with fert?

My int'l order is coming, 3 amnesia, 2 afghani and strawberry blue... What can you advice me in this coming seeds?

TIA

vostok

Veteran
The 2 foot T5 has no grunt, that said they are great for germing and say 2-3 weeks in veg but soon run short as the weeds grow to trees, one cheap option is to just get another 2 foot T5 bank, that allows even more flexibility than with my favorite 4 foot T5 bank with 6-8 x 54w T5 tubes of equal kelvin, hang on chains adjust daily, keep tips to within 1-2 inches of the tube and a 4-6" fan is a good idea too ...good luck

ps my pet hate this month is growers germing in 'see-thru' cups ...remember roots don't like light!

Monyo

@vostok I have looked around for T5s already, the labels here suck. They don't have any information like the l/w or lumens of T5s.

One question: Will my soil mix be good for seedlings? Like after the germination phase. My mix contains: Perlite Soil Conditioner, Soil, Carbonized Rice Hull and Coco Dust.

Also, we conserve energy so I always put the plants outside at direct sunlight for about at least 3 hrs a day. Is that healthy? Do I have to change somethings regarding that?

Monyo

Any answers for the questions from my previous post? :)

Halfway through its 4th week:
image_0000071_zpsozitlj2v.jpg

I spray it down with 46-0-0 fert. 2-3 times a day... Is that good?

One more thing, I am really worried about my coming seeds (I ordered Amnesia, Afghan and Strawberry Blue)... I am really not sure if I can make them healthy through their seedling phase (after germinating) because I've tried with several local weed seeds and they sprouted but died...

Former Guest

Just add more light sockets. I think four total should work...for now. They're gonna get bigger depending on how long you veg and stretch. You'll need to fit as many bulbs as possible. What are the temps in there?

Did your seedlings fall over and die or not come up after planting?

Put your plants in a sunny window instead of outside so you don't bring in bugs.

Goldberry

I spray it down with 46-0-0 fert. 2-3 times a day... Is that good?

As a wide eyed youngster, I'd be curious what the more traveled and world-weary adventurers would answer to this...

Anyhow, I wish you best of luck in your journey and I hope to check in occasionally and marvel at your success. :)

Monyo

Just add more light sockets. I think four total should work...for now. They're gonna get bigger depending on how long you veg and stretch. You'll need to fit as many bulbs as possible. What are the temps in there?

Did your seedlings fall over and die or not come up after planting?

Put your plants in a sunny window instead of outside so you don't bring in bugs.

I will be adding 2 23w 1620 lumens CFL's later. 3 Daylight and 1 warm.
The temps don't go high, I don't have a thermometer but I think it is okay (I guess the intake and exhaust are doing the job).

They went up for like 2 days only and then died. Can you teach me the basics on taking care of seedlings?
Once again, thanks ladyluckbean...

As a wide eyed youngster, I'd be curious what the more traveled and world-weary adventurers would answer to this...

Anyhow, I wish you best of luck in your journey and I hope to check in occasionally and marvel at your success.

me too lol

Former Guest

Well, I have tried a couple ways and each was successful. So far my favorite is using a celled seedling tray. Once they pop from their water soak, I place the germinated seed root down 1/4" down. I use a pencil to do this then just lightly cover/no pressing down; think fluffy :D

Before I put them root down, I water the dirt thoroughly. Plant seed and let the soil dry out on top. Then add water to the water tray below so it is just hitting the bottom of the cell but not going into the cell. Dirt will wick the water up. I use 25% coco light warrior from fox farms, two handfuls of EWC, and 75% regular potting soil with extra perlite. When you premoisten the dirt, watch for how fast the water drains through the bottom; it needs to drop right through. The seed should pop up within 24 hours. If not, then you buried too deep or what's more likely not warm enough. Just because your temps are warm means you dirt is warm. I like to put a light bulb under the tray under my MH bulb but I put them off to the side in a lower light intensity.

When they pop up, the surface drys, then you bottom feed water, they will grow up tall. Place a small fan by them just enough to see movement but not blow them around. This will make them strong. Once they grow about 2.5-3" you let the soil dry out so they pop out easier. Sometimes I have to use a pencil to pop them out from the hole in the cell. Then you plant them in a small container that's kinda tall. Then you bury the stem till the cotyledons are covered or almost covered. The stem will turn to roots do the root system will be stronger.

Most common problem is from wet top soil and not keeping soil warm enough. Dampening off is where they fall over and will happen when they grow tall and the top soil is wet all the time. When the cotyledon starts to turn yellow then you can feed them some compost tea or whatever. If they start to grow sideways then you need to position them closer to the light. By the time I buried them I put them directly under my reflector.

Goldberry

When they pop up, the surface drys, then you bottom feed water, they will grow up tall. Place a small fan by them just enough to see movement but not blow them around. This will make them strong.

This always blows my mind, the fact that you can basically strength train baby plants by giving them... exercise, or at least disturbance in this way. I'd be interested to see if anyone ever science'd out (yeah, that's right) the benefits of different angles/intensity of "wind" on the plant's development.

Monyo

Thanks ladyluckbean, I will do that.

My plant is having some yellow tips. It's like it is burnt. I think some of the top leaves touches the CFL and that's what's causing it... But a few lower leaves have it also... Any other causes?

Monyo

Hello again,

So I was observing my plant and what I noticed is that when I put it in direct sunlight after a while the leaves go down but when put into shade, it comes back up again. Is it healthy if we conserve energy and put to sunlight for like 3-5 hrs a day?

Latest posts

Latest posts