What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Light Cycle for Slower Growth

Zeez

---------------->
ICMag Donor
All the threads on light cycles seem to be for maximizing growth in veg. I'm interested in slowing growth and possibly closer node spacing for keeping moms in veg with less maintenance. Is there something better than 18/6?

Palindrome

King of Schwag
Ive tested 16/8 and 15/9 many years ago, some strains did well and others not so much.

Each plant will be different, to when they start producing hormones that tricker the flower.
With 18/6 your sure all your diff moms keep veggin, anything less and you risk some might start flowering.

Went back to 18/6, but thourt about testing a cycle with two short off periodes.
8 hour light, 4 hour dark, 8 hour light and 4 hour dark.
As the flowering hormones, should only start producing after 8 hours darkness.

Got the idea from a guy on Overgrow, who made a light cycle, he calle "Planet Eto light" or something like that.
Where he did 18/12, with some PLC timer he build. (something about some planet NASA found, that had this light cycle or something.) Long time ago, but to be honest.

Unless your into doing your own experiments, with risk of failure, just stick to topping your mom. Train them into little bonzai's, they can handle it and make a ton of clones.

WHIPEDMEAT

Modortalan
Supermod
Veteran
if you can keep colder temperatures to it, growth will slow down more, under 10 celsius growing is very slow, with cfl s in the blue spectrum or some kind of leds also can shorten the nodes,

Zeez

---------------->
ICMag Donor
Anyone have experience with interrupted light cycles to stay in veg?

Bonzai is interesting too. I should look into that.

One of my problems is that they get too big and end up getting chopped to start over. If its possible to save some electricity with an interrupted light cycle that would be cool too.

Anyone have experience with interrupted light cycles to stay in veg?

Bonzai is interesting too. I should look into that.

One of my problems is that they get too big and end up getting chopped to start over. If its possible to save some electricity with an interrupted light cycle that would be cool too.
Plants do most of their stretching during the dark cycle so I don't think less light hours would help too much. WHIPPEDMEAT is onto it. Cooler temperatures combined with metal halide lighting will give you the slower growth and short internodes you are after. :2cents: