What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Do Plants really need dark hours during veg

hoki2test

Veteran
At the moment I'm vegging my plants under 24 hrs of continuous light,My question is do Plants really need any dark hours during veg?....Would they benefit from some dark time or should I just leave them as is...anyone notice any advantages or faster growth vice versa?

Easy7

Veteran
There are processes that take place in the dark. So yes!

Ask yourself where in the world plants veg under 24 hours light? They evolved with dark periods. Same as people, we ned dark periods.

They don't need a dark period but there are often advantages in having one. It lets your room cool down if it's hot and may save money if your electricity is metered at different rates at peak times. Inter-node length will be shorter under 24 hrs than 18 hrs as branches stretch in the dark. There are plenty of physiological processes which occur in the dark but they occur 24/7, day or night.

tleaf jr.

Came up off 75w
Veteran
Also read that roots do shit in the medium in the dark bot gonna get all scientific but i always see happier plants with 18-6 instead of 24 hours.

Latest posts

Latest posts