What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

CO2 hash oil extraction? How to?

indifferent

Veteran
We're soaking up every pearl of wisdom here Sam so please keep em coming!

By reshaping, are you inferring that some manual manipulatiuon of the oil to expel bubbles of solvent is a good idea - i.e. whip it while it's still purging?

funkfingers

Long haired country boy
Veteran
Really Sam: The Budder picture you posted looks nothing like the sugar hash spoken of above.. It seriously looked like half melted brown sugar. I never met anyone who paid a 100$ a gram though maybe 40$ but 100$ that's ridiculous!

Eschertias

So has anyone seen hash made with supercritical CO2 extraction? From the research I've done, with a properly designed system, you can blend up the entire plant, set the temperature and pressure values, and end up with the entire cannabinoid family plus most of the terpenes as a kind of resinous goop that collects in the diffusion chamber. You end up with a completely unadulterated hash that requires no curing or purging, plus all those terpenes don't end up being lost, your lemon kush hash will still smell lemony.

The only downside is the stupid amount of technical knowledge and capital required for this. A properly designed setup requires a a good understanding of physical chemistry, organic chemistry, materials science, process control, electronics, and probably $4000 in materials. Once it's done though, you could conceivably process several dozen pounds per day, which is probably beyond anyone's capacity but the largest co-ops.

vta

Veteran
Hehe, yeah, that did look green n iffy!

Thats what I thought when I 1st checked it out. But the bud tender assured me it was the real deal so I got it. As soon as it meets heat it turns into a clear/amber oil. Very potent! The club is Green Angel of Malibu{highly respected club}...you can check out a thread on this stuff on WT with better pics.

vta

Veteran
I ripped their pick off WT. oops

picture.php

This week they are getting CO2 Extract In Delta-9 Form.

M

MoldyFrogToe

Wow, almost as bad as an Isomerizer. Just try making Quick ISO (qwiso) it's super easy and yields are lots better (5X) than bubble bags!
Fly on the wall:
Yeah but what makes that yield higher...not necessarily active compounds...

indifferent

Veteran
It does look interesting and I have to admit, my knowledge of solvent extraction methods is too limited to say much with any authority. From my layman's point of view it's a case of green - bad, golden = good.

One thing I've never heard discussed is the possibility of someone starting commercial scale production of solvent extract. In the 60s and 70s the BOEL had hash oil labs and were making oil on a commercial scale. If the BOEL could do it back then, someone could do it now.

I don't see the difference between setting up a small essential oil extraction business where you are extracting oils from other plants for cosmetics, perfumes etc and setting up a similar business to extract oil from cannabis. Of course, there are legal issues, but it's all possible.

from what Really Sam says about the costs and complexity of CO2 extraction, it is likely we won't see co2 extracts for sale until someone does set up a commercial enterprise to make it and they will need plenty of capital behind them.

I'm not saying that Co2 extract isn't just that, just saying it might not be.

I don't approve of using buzzwords to increase the price a product can be sold at and if that is the case here, it's sad.

Hope you enjoyed smoking it though, and if you did, then all is good I suppose.

Is there not some legal loophole that they must say CO2 extract for BHO extract just to cover the COOP's back from the law

I also would say that green = bad, gold = good

What it said to be CO2 extract might not be CO2 extract, not the club being bad to people but the way stupid laws have to be covered

If it is as Indi says and just a cover to make sales from the ill then that is just sad and plain wrong

indifferent

Veteran
I would have thought green indicates chlorophyll leached from the plant matter, but that is just my uninformed guess.

It's just sad that we all have to be so sceptical, but it;s the way things are in this business, it;s the very early days of legalisation and hopefully as things move forward, we can see more standardisation and regulation as there are in other industries.

I mean, there are incredibly rigourous standards for food so why not for cannabis?

I do not think any official body has been ready for this so standards are not what they should.

Looks like it has been a case of see what happens and modify as cracks are noticed. Oh and what is the best way to make dollars from it

I see they banned him, why?
He has so much to offer to the online community

Indi, want to pick your brain on suppliment blue lighting for sativa plants at some point if that ok

vta

Veteran
It does look interesting and I have to admit, my knowledge of solvent extraction methods is too limited to say much with any authority. From my layman's point of view it's a case of green - bad, golden = good.

One thing I've never heard discussed is the possibility of someone starting commercial scale production of solvent extract. In the 60s and 70s the BOEL had hash oil labs and were making oil on a commercial scale. If the BOEL could do it back then, someone could do it now.

I don't see the difference between setting up a small essential oil extraction business where you are extracting oils from other plants for cosmetics, perfumes etc and setting up a similar business to extract oil from cannabis. Of course, there are legal issues, but it's all possible.

from what Really Sam says about the costs and complexity of CO2 extraction, it is likely we won't see co2 extracts for sale until someone does set up a commercial enterprise to make it and they will need plenty of capital behind them.

I'm not saying that Co2 extract isn't just that, just saying it might not be.

I don't approve of using buzzwords to increase the price a product can be sold at and if that is the case here, it's sad.

Hope you enjoyed smoking it though, and if you did, then all is good I suppose.

I understand your points and if I didn't see this stuff I would probably be right with you on this....

But its not as green as the pics show....I took some more.

You say "it is likely we won't see co2 extracts for sale until someone does set up a commercial enterprise to make it and they will need plenty of capital behind them."

There here....and they rock:headbange lol

This stuff is nothing but FMCD.
There is zero gas taste. One of the purest extracts I have ever smoked. I've been making BHO for years and this is not like any BHO I've ever had. super expando and is very very smooth.

picture.php

lets heat it up a bit...

picture.php

little more...

picture.php

a couple seconds of cooling...its jelly again

picture.php

indifferent

Veteran
I gotta say, it does look very nice and quite unlike BHO too, what it really is, dunno, if may well be co2, as long as it's great quality and does the trick for you then it;s good shit, right? And that is what's important.

Shame that Sam got banned, he seemed liek a mine of useful info.

Hi Telegraphist, feel free to pick my brains on blue light at any time.

Trichgnomes

Nice pics man, the green stuff definitely looked kinda gross, but that stuff looks much close to the "fabled sugar," if not almost identical, then the picture that Really Sam posted towards the beginning of the the thread.

And FWIW, regardless of what type of technique was used to create that, it looks pretty pure. I used to puff bubble/dry sift/ the stuff I had that was supposed CO2, etc, on top of some nug like that all the time. But someone broke it down in another thread like this: It takes at least 50-60 days for a plant to flower, excluding seed sprouting or the time it takes for a cutting to root, desired veg time, etc. After that whole process, you can finally separate the desired cannabinoids from the chlorophyll, capitate stalks, and so on and so forth. Why go through the trouble, if you're just gonna pile it on top of some herb? Ti Plate, Ti screen, glass vapor dome.. lots of pretty sweet options out there.

Sorry for the rant, but it is almost over. I mean no offense by this, but, IMO, medicine that good deserves a 100% clean pipe, every session. Treat it like a dish, and it will pay you back in better taste and aesthetic value.

vta

Veteran
I mean no offense by this, but, IMO, medicine that good deserves a 100% clean pipe, every session. Treat it like a dish, and it will pay you back in better taste and aesthetic value.

No offense taken. However I clean my glass usually once a week and thats good enough for me. I smoke 2-3 grams a day with hash on every bowl, so it gets like that after a day or so.
picture.php