What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Super high PPM readings in 55 Gallon Drums

Hey all,

I bought x6 of those blue 55 gallon plastic barrels locally. They are food safe, and previously had tomato paste in them.

I cleaned them real good 2 or 3 times prior to use but I'm experiencing some weird shit with my meter now that they are in use...

I'm on well water that reads 230 PPM, however when I put my meter into the drums its reading 2300+ PPM. Now if I take a cup of water out of the barrels and check it with my meter it says 230.

I'm at a complete loss as to why this is happening, and wondering if anyone has any ideas. I can leave water in the barrels overnight circulating and take a sample in a glass the next day and it will still read 10 ppm within my well water. Doesn't seem like there is residue off the inner walls that's leeching into the water.

Thanks for any input.

Only Ornamental

Spiritually inspired agnostic mad scientist
Veteran
These drums belonged to Ringo Starr and they're super hot and that's why :) .
Seriously, I have (for once) no obvious scientific explanation for the phenomenon.

Yeah I cant explain it either dude. Makes zero sense. I figured there was a residue but then when I grabbed a sample and it read the saw as the tap i was like wtf...

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hmmmm...

Maybe your meter is picking up a static charge.

Are the barrels electricity grounded?
What are the barrels sitting on?

This is a complete shot in the dark, btw.

dansbuds

Retired from the workforce Bullshit
ICMag Donor
Veteran
i'd say get another meter to see if its doing the same thing . i doubt its the barrels . i use the same barrels & have never had that problem . maybe the vibration from the recirc pump being on ..... :dunno:

Only Ornamental

Spiritually inspired agnostic mad scientist
Veteran
Hmmmm...

Was thinking something in that way too but there's usually no statics with water and the barrels are made of plastic (= insulated).
With metal barrels there might be some sort of charge transfer between them and the fertiliser but again, they're made out of plastic. Unless they're really charged (short-circuit from a pump?) and once the meter touches the water in the barrels, said charge has a way to 'escape'?
More shots into that darkness :) .

Absolem

I'm going to guess it's your digital ballasts messing with your meter..................if you run digital ballasts. Try taking a reading when the lights are out. :dunno:

soundman

Hmmmm...

Was wondering same thing. Plastics can and will hold several thousand volt charge if in right conditions. Would need to be exposed to friction like sliding on carpet or other plastic. If they sit on anything conductive to ground, even at very high resistance, it will discharge though. Should get a shock, static, when touching them if there was a large charge.

Farm Hero

I thought of static electricity at first, but realized there's usually not much static around moisture.

I didn't see ya answer above, but if you do have a pump in the barrel maybe there is a slight amount of electricity leaking into the water from a pin hole in the power cord?

Since ppm meters measure differences in resistance I'd say it is most likely some sort of rogue electrical charge in the barrel water that is causing your issue.

Have you tried testing with all six barrels?

Latest posts

Latest posts