What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Too much negative pressure?

soundman

Has anyone noticed a difference in plant growth under a decent negative pressure vs slight negative pressure?

I changed my tent setup for the next round and have a decent amount more negative pressure than I am used to. Tent sucks in very hard. Only one 6 inch fan extracting with two 6 inch passive intakes. The other fan strictly cools lights and adds a very slight positive pressure, from tiny leak in seals on lights. 5 x5 Tent.

Just curious how plants like growing in a slight vacuum? I can add another speed controlled fan to input to help reduce negative pressure if needed.

Anyone have experience with issues like this?

Thanks!!

soundman

How often will your exhaust kick on?

Exhaust has always ran 24/7. I like to exchange tent volume of air 1 - 3 times a minute. Right now I am about twice a minute exchange rate. DR150 tent, 150 Cubic feet, and exhaust running at about 300 - 350 CFM.

I may slow down the exhaust some but like the temps and humidity as is.

HqFarms

I see no reason to exchange air that much and never seen a difference between doing a exchange that often compared to every fifteen minutes. I feel like with exhausting that much you are wasting energy plus wasting what plants aren't using in that amount of time. What are your temps and humidity like?

soundman

I see no reason to exchange air that much and never seen a difference between doing a exchange that often compared to every fifteen minutes. I feel like with exhausting that much you are wasting energy plus wasting what plants aren't using in that amount of time. What are your temps and humidity like?

I will have to see humidity when wet coco is in the tent. Temps are 76 out of direct light. Humidity upper 30s with no plants inside tent.

I can slow fan down till temps rise but I can tell now I cant slow it down much.

I only have a timer on hand that can run 30 min on / off at minimum. I can try that for giggles. This little tent is pissing me off. Im going to really have to babysit it daily. Need an AC on programmable thermostat. :)

OldPhart

What may appear as a large amount of neg. pressure, is actually a VERY neglectable amount of neg. pressure. For example, if you actually achieved 0.5 psi of vacuum on the tent, which would turn any tent into an envelope (**0.5 psi would exert 2300lbs of force on a 4'x8' surface**); would be equivalent to adding 1000 ft. of elevation. So even though the tent is sucking in quite hard, I doubt that it is equivalent to adding more than 50' of elevation. So bottom line, any air pressure that you can create with a fan will have NO effect on the plants.

Last edited: