What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Thinkin bout goin vert? Here's what you might need

Marlo

Seedsweeper
ICMag Donor
Veteran
My homie UnknownProphet gave me a great idea for a thread.

Vertical growing can be as simple as rippin your old reflector out, and hanging that light vertically. Viola! your ridin vert. :dance013:
But to have your setup completely dialed in, your probably gonna have to add a few things and make some changes. That means your gonna need a few things.
Your probably thinkin.... "How the hell am I supposed to get the light to sit there like that?" or "where do you guys find those nets and screens?

So for UnknownProhpet, AugustWest and all you lurkers out there ready to make the jump, this is the place for all the stuff you haven't thought about.

You're welcome! :tiphat:

By now hopefully you have thought of what type of setup you want to run. NortherFarmers stadium? Red's house of Love? Aerohead's Weed donut? You have lots of choices. If you havent decided yet....you should start here:

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=189454

All these different setups have they're own lil "tools" and "must haves" to get them to the promised land. Chances are you'll need some of them too. We really should make a list right?

Where to start?? :chin:

Well, if you've been reading all the kick ass vert grows around here lately, you'll see that its impossible to have a successful grow without a few Honeywell fans!

picture.php

Why the honeywell fans? You will need to put one of these under each of your vertically hung lights to help with temp control. This will act as an invisible cooltube and push the warm air up, up, and away from the bulb. Hopefully you already have your extraction fan at the top of your room removing all the hot air from the growroom. If your ambient temps are cooperating, bare bulb vert is very possible and very efficient, with the help of some strategically placed fans. They dont have to be honeywell, but you get the idea. Just make sure it can tilt upwards and has a speed control.

Ok, so you guys get the idea. If you have something to add, post it up. I'm gonna smoke me a big bowl of some Sour Bubble and come back with another suggestion.

:tiphat:

Marlo

Seedsweeper
ICMag Donor
Veteran
One of the most important things you should strongly consider, is strain selection.
I try to pick strains that have a nice healthy stretch to them. The way I grow, the stretch helps when it comes time to train the plants into a "wall of weed" which is what all vert growers strive for. Unless you are growin in a sog stadium format, like NorthernFarmer, short indica's can be frustrating in a vert setup.

I also find it best to select a strain that can take a good amount of trimming (defoliation) and still be productive. I have found many diesel and kush genetics can thrive in these conditions. Their resistance to fan leaf removal works well with the golf balls diesels like to form. Pics? Sure.....

Here is a Diesel/Kush hybrid at 50ish days of flower. All the fan leaves have been removed, except those coming directly out of a bud, and she hasn't been negatively affected by it. The removal of the leaves allows for more of the inner nugs to chunk up

picture.php

picture.php

Questions, comments, suggestions and hate are all welcome.

hippydan

Oh my, thanks so much for this. I plan on starting a "micro" vert. A 250watt light in a 2x2x5 grow tent. Seems to be a slightly unexplored region of vert growing, with most people using multiple lights in large rooms. Got any tips for us "small-timers"? Marlo you're the man!

whodare

Veteran
Training 101

Training 101

top, fim, lst, whatever you call it, if you want optimal results it is a must...

i like lst as it wont stunt growth

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

shoot for the "Goal Post" look as it allows you too fill the canopy, gaps will kil your yeild...

And the p.a.t is good....
picture.php

picture.php

Marlo

Seedsweeper
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Keeping the bud out of the light

Keeping the bud out of the light

Another thing you will need to consider is how to prevent your buds from falling into the light, or falling over from all the weight. How are you going to make your wall and keep it there?
There are more than a few ways you can go about it, depending on ur setup.

My 1st vert, I used some strategically placed stakes and twist ties. Both easily found at the Home De Pot or your local dollar store.
Pics? Sure.....

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

This kept all the girls upright and out of the bulbs, but not many places to train branches imo.

The trellis is a very good option also. Not too rigid, holds all the buds up, and still allows alot of movement. Not too restricting. Great for large areas.

Modular scrog screens work well for me. Made with 1/2" pvc and a roll of plastic fencing from the Home De Pot. Takes some time to make, but I've used the same screens for 5 harvest now.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

And here's a great example of how to use tomato cages to start your wall of buds

11 feet
of three ft tall tomato cage wire
picture.php

..more to come

Last edited:

walindour

Great thread as I am in rebuild mode and want to construct a vertical stadium. Keep your advice a flowin - thanks!

honeywell turbo

honeywell turbo

i copped this from medium pimpin...8 to 6 reducer strategically placed.

picture.php

oooh now i notice these sours were thrown in 12/28 and 1/6. another week and two respectively

ambertrich

Veteran
Marlo, thanks man for actually making this thread a reality. :wave:

It is going to be so helpful to peeps like me who really want to give vert a try.

Now, I have a question for the vert crowd.

I run ebb and flow tables with 100% coco, like the simplicity and its ability to be let for extended periods if need be.

Anyone using vert with recirculating E&F? Where would you place your fan for cooling the bulb?
This would be run in a 4'x4' DR120, with ventilation already in the top of the tent.

I am open to trying individual smart pot style containers with blumats, and with these I have an idea of how I would do the basic setup. (Have my eye on Hundred Gram Oz's rig)

Just would be nice to use the setup and equipment I already have as much as possible.

Got some time before the current crop is finsihed and one of the tents is freed up to think this through.

Great openning so far with the thread, Marlo. :good:

The way you speak of it makes it seem much less intimidating to anyone who might be hesitant about a major overhaul of their grow styles.

Got myself a seat at the desk, with my notepad out.

I am so tagged to this one.

Thanks to all who contribute their experience and ideas to this thread.:ying:

look cool while protecting your eyesight

look cool while protecting your eyesight

picture.php

does your dog follow you everywhere? take care of that!

picture.php

take care of your eyes

BudGood

"Be shapeless, formless, like water..."
Veteran
Nice thread, I'm about to go vertical, bought 5-1000w Quantums, and 10-8" Cooltubes months ago, gonna flip them in addition to the 1800 I'm already flipping. Been too busy with work to rework my growrooms, but I got laid off, so now it's on! "One door closes, another opens..." I'm thinking big plants. :tiphat:

I dig the PVC dealy-bobs, I made something similar for my Bio-Buckets (which one side of the 1800 lit, and will get light from the 1000's now too!), made a modular scrog for each bucket lid, this allowed me to lift each one individually to check for roots in the drain. Great minds think alike! ;) :wave:

Hey, so far as eye protection, aren't regular sunglasses not enough? I remember reading somewhere that welding goggles (not the totally dark ones) are the better option. I'm gonna try to dig up the thread, but yeah, I plan on having a couple pair hung near the doors. Gotta protect the peepers! :ying:

whodare

Veteran
shade 5 is a must for mucho light

but regular sunglasses will cut if for cabs, and tents...

UnknownProphet

???do?Pu?ou?uU
Veteran
Great thread Marlo. I and countless others will definitely learn a thing or two in here. I can not compliment you enough, as you seem to be one of those growers who makes everything look so easy. Bravo.

Crusader Rabbit

Veteran
Sunglasses? I use Duluth Trading Company "Cheaters"

Distortion-free, polycarbonate lenses are hard-coated to protect against scratches. Tinted gray, these safety glasses sunglasses block 99.9% of UVA rays and 82% of UVB rays.

They're only twenty bucks, and my old eyes really appreciate the bifocal feature when searching for bugs or those first flowers.

http://www.duluthtrading.com/store/d...ear/82383.aspx

Latest posts

Latest posts