What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

The salted coconut ....

maimunji

If I understand correctly sodium hidrogencarbonate is also known like baking soda right? This will affect ph of my tap water right? If ph goes up by 1 is this mean kh also goes up with 1 maybe not really? What if I amended coco with dolite lime? Is this will keep my ph stable or will throw ph right to 7.0 and give me more problems than good?

C

c64

The most important is .....

The pH value in substrates is only to be mastered if two important parameters are observed. These are the nitrogen concentration of the nutrient solution taking into account the ratio between ammonium and nitrate and the carbonate hardness.

Many people always talk about lime or buffering in the case of pH problems in the substrate. This does not solve the problem. Only the correction of the carbonate hardness leads to the goal. The liming plays a subordinate role.

If I understand correctly sodium hidrogencarbonate is also known like baking soda right?

Yes, the baking soda is meant. :)

However, it provides useless sodium for the plant and increases the EC value, which is why potassium hydrogen carbonate would be better. But the soda also goes with this minimal increase.

This will affect ph of my tap water right? If ph goes up by 1 is this mean kh also goes up with 1 maybe not really?

Aaah, now exactly will it be more specific ...

It increases the carbonate hardness of your tap water and the EC value.

I should have said more correctly, a carbonate hardness of 5 ° dKH must be adjusted after the addition of fertilizer and acid (pH minus). A stability in the substrate is then obtained.
At present, you neutralize too many bicarbonate ions with the acid (pH-), so your KH value are lower then 5, which leads to a lowering of the pH value in the substrate.

Therefore, you must increase the carbonate hardness of your tap water. So add bicarbonate ions to ensure pH stability and equilibrium.

Elevation of the carbonate hardness with suitable means are potassium hydroxide solution and potassium hydrogen carbonate, or even by baking soda.

You can measure the carbonate hardness of the finished nutrient solution with a KH test kit. If the fertilizer contains nitrate nitrogen it works. In the case of ammonium nitrogen, a measurement does not work, this only acts in the substrate.

What if I amended coco with dolite lime? Is this will keep my ph stable or will throw ph right to 7.0 and give me more problems than good?

Substrate liming..
To a limited extent, the amount of lime in substrates and the degree of grinding of the lime provide a preventive measure against pH changes.

You can try, but buffering the substrate is only done after the pH has been set correctly (carbonate hardness to nitrogen ratio) in the substrate.

A substrate buffering is very important in long-term cultivation. If water values are adjusted to the nitrogen values, this is negligible in the case of short cultivation.

:tiphat:

Last edited:

maimunji

I think I start to understand better now even with my poor english. I use ph - with phosphorus acid insted ph - with N acid. Will be better to swich to ph down with N instead P? And another question if my rez ph goes up after few days is this mean my Kh is enough to keep nutrients solution stable?

C

c64

I've added something information in the Post #22.

You can check and adjust the carbonate hardness with a KH test kit.

Whether you choose pH minus acid that supplies nitrogen or phosphorus, you can choose. Depending on what your main fertilizer contains and how much more you want to feed the plants through the acid.

I only work with nitric acid, I regulate the nitrogen over the calcinite. Of the two acids, none is better, or worse.

:tiphat:

C

c64

No problem, I like to help where I can, we are here a big family. hehe :dance013:

My current selection grow. Some interesting variants could be a keeper.
The ladies are already flushed and the harvest is coming soon.

My dosing plan from the fertilizer serves only as a guideline. I do not use a strict feed plan.

COMPO EXPERT - Hakaphos Basis 4

4% total nitrogen
4% nitrate nitrogen
16% P2O5 water-soluble phosphate
32% K2O water-soluble potassium oxide
6% MgO water-soluble magnesium oxide
0.03% B Total and water soluble boron
0.06% Cu Total and water soluble copper *
0.4% Fe Total and water soluble iron *
0.1% Mn Total and water-soluble manganese *
0.003% Mo Total and water-soluble molybdenum
0.025% Zn Total and water-soluble zinc *

* As the chelate of EDTA, fully chelated,
Stability of the chelate up to pH 7.5

NPK ratio 1: 4: 8
NO3: NH4 ratio 100: 0

and Calcinit.....

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

C

c64

I am always happy to read from you. Thank you for looking into my thread. It gives me lots of possitive energy. :dance013:
Best wishes :)

C

c64

detected a keeper

detected a keeper

picture.php

picture.php

I've found a new keeper. The graceful lady has very hard and sticky flowers. I was looking for her.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

C

c64

Thanks a lot Old Toker! :)

Here is a 30% potassium hydroxide solution for the pH increase. But I never needed this. lol

The starting material is potassium hydroxide (KOH, strong base caustic potash). Caution, an exothermic reaction takes place!

picture.php

picture.php

A pH puncture electrode with hardened tip from an epoxy.

picture.php

picture.php

Last edited: