What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Grapefruit grail project: my hunt for a pheno (long)

OvergrowDaWorld

$$ ALONE $$
Veteran
Ive been looking for the "Real Deal" NYCD red grapefruit pheno since I fell in love with it 15 years ago. I have an obsession with it but fear its hoarded by a handfull of growers that Ill never meet nevermind get a cut from. Soooo sad!
This strain was sooooo fkn good that it made your mouth water just smelling it.
Soma really needed to cherish it and pass that cut to thousands of people so it didnt get lost over the years.

Emdren

Hey Overgrow, old thread I'm posting in, I know, I just want to give you a tip. I was on the hunt of a red grapefruit pheno myself, lucky me found it again. I was grinding through some second name seed sites, where they sell mostly just F1 seed versions. Some still have their older parent stock of old NYCD and you can find your pheno in there. I got lucky last year with one. Just don't give up yet.

Em

Attachments

• 20170305_111646.jpg
    20170305_111646.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 20

Buddle

Veteran
Hmm this thread has me thinking about Highlighters NYCD x C99. You out there brother HL? That was an early Soma pk I'm thinking you used. The seeds have got to be 7 yrs old anyway?

Hmm this thread has me thinking about Highlighters NYCD x C99. You out there brother HL? That was an early Soma pk I'm thinking you used. The seeds have got to be 7 yrs old anyway?

Highlighter? "Honey White" Highlighter? Where is that dude? I'm looking for him.

This disappointing thread sounds like all those blueberry threads where they reminisce about the old days of blueberry and how you can't get it anymore.

I genuinely think this may be a psychological nostalgia factor - kind of how some remembered that 80's video game as being awesome but now it looks and plays mediocre.

I wonder if the same thing is happening here - or if there actually were legendary strains that have simply been lost?

Genetic degradation has occurred for sure -breeding with indoor lighs, chemical nutes/sprays and even some of the organic products are all killing the plants DNA.