What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Grapefruit grail project: my hunt for a pheno (long)

I'm starting my project for breeding and genetic selection, and read his story from the beginning gives me great courage and desire to continue .. I would say that this post is almost touching! is not obsession, it is passion!
I would love to collaborate with the search, I would serve as experince and no doubt will have beginner's luck there LOL.
Success with this project, incredible story open-ended.

Respect

Sativasven.

paladin420

FACILITATOR
Veteran
Wow what a read....What a tribute to obsession... Dr I am sure some one will be along shortly with more grape fruit ideas..but damn

dimodz

Elite StrainCloneHunter
Veteran
420giveaway
nice update & project Dr. :D
I'm curious what you say at the SPG Sol when they try on you sometimes ;)

take care

greets

Rosy Cheeks

dancin' cheek to cheek
Veteran
Great thread, and I learned a new word; "agrumated". I didn't know that existed.

It is my understanding that Soma lost the motherplants for his NYCD in a raid years back, then replaced them with what he could (perhaps someone could give better info on that one).

In short, the NYCD that once was is no more, and the Amsterdam cut you toked on was a remnant of the past.

I regret growing out my last NYCD's in the early 2000's, had I only known it wouldn't be around forever...

That said, your obsession in finding that nostalgic kick from the 'one plant' brought you on a fabulous journey through top notch genetics, and you must have a few solid keepers now that you don't regret growing, even if they aren't what you were looking for.

dr.penthotal

Chasing the orange grapefruit rabbit
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Great thread, and I learned a new word; "agrumated". I didn't know that existed.

Exactly! It doesn't exist! It was a 'free' translation directly from my language.... Lazy with dictionary....:comfort:
:thank you:
Agrumated is citrousy in English.
Something which is in common among lemon, grapefruit, lime, bergamot, oranges, tangerine, mapo...

That said, your obsession in finding that nostalgic kick from the 'one plant' brought you on a fabulous journey through top notch genetics, and you must have a few solid keepers now that you don't regret growing, even if they aren't what you were looking for.

True again. Genetics I'm finding are really top quality. 'The journey can be the destination' Dramamine said. and It is what I'm experiencing right now. Extraordinary fruity and potent smoke. Very satisfied....:blowbubbles:
Time has come to mix'em up genes a bit...
My goal is still the same, find a true grapefruit tasting strain.
There's a good thread around about this subject and there are quite interesting ideas and experience in there.

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=220723

The most interesting thing that AMAZED me in Amsterdam NYCD was her taste. More precisely the beautiful way the perfect sweet red ruby grapefruit smell TRANSITIONS to taste in mouth during and after the smoking experience.
This is a really important characteristic that makes NYCD a favorite in AMS and IMO it is for this it has so many fans.
BUT this is the trait not easy to achive with seeds...
Lots of grapefruit around. Some may be really champions grapefruit smelling plants. Lots of variations and intense flavours around. A wide array of fruitness. The more you seek the more you find.
But when smoked the taste in mouth changes, being slightly or totally different. I noticed several side-aftertaste of different fruit (think of some good C99, really sweet and fruity explosion...) but this wonderful grapefruit... where has it gone? Some earthness, some sour, some tart, some nutty flavours come out...

Organic, well flushed buds, better if exposed to some cold air, are bert way to achieve best results in smell to taste transition, but genetics are the most in this case.
That's the trait I want to breed and get with seeds.
I found this round a way to close the circle (bud, joint, mouth) in taste/smell department with the agent orange strain. The more the buds cure the more they express this character.
This is why I started a seed crop with best females in my moms' room to be entirely seeded with a super Agent Orange super male I found. It is really orange citrousy smelling.
I happened to taste some male flowers and the taste like orange peel!
So I felt in need to make a huge pollination experience with his semen donor to most of plants from last round (NYCDS1, Hybrids and F2s, agent orange, grapefruit, grapefruit diesel, dynamite, vortex, sssdh, sour diesel, spice) and some chocolope, some chemdog, amnesia, Sonic fly and some more.
One male standing in an harem of horny females already 4 week into flowering...
After a week a lot of seeds are already swelling calyxes and brown hairs are all around...
Beside in another chamber I had some pollination with a dynamite male, with a sonic fly male, and with some NYCDxbubble male and AH male. Plenty of freebies to come...
I need your help guys to select a perfect grapefruit grail plant.
Regards, best karma to everyone.
Dr. P

W

whoever

What an AMAZING journey, the AO and Sonic fly cross has me very interested. Thank you for taking the time to share your passion. I am committed to seeing the Love Potion 1 (cup winning pheno) crossed with Cannabiogen Sugarloaf come about...anyway, many blessings.

titoon29

Travelling Cannagrapher Penguin !
Veteran
Hey dr, great read mate !!!

You gotta love the grapefruit ^^ For sure you are the nycd expert now !!!
Part of my weed adventure started with this NYCD I smoked in Amsterdam in 2005... There was quite a bunch around and wow the taste was always amazing.

We have this pheno around in France from female seeds grapefruit, and grown outdoor it does smell exactly like a fresh opened red grapefruit, I've never smell anything so close to that it was just mindblowing. Unfortunatly grown indoor it does loose this smell to a more sweet c99.

Thanks a lot for sharing those picts, you def have a talent for taking them, and those plants looks very happy ;) Keep it up, keep it green, to our next Smokeout !

The mandarina NYCD clone is something very very special as well... Just straight mandarina essential oil. Probably one of the most impressive taste around ! Nobody can't ignore that, this fruity mandarina oil that just spreads in your mouth all over , wowoooooooo !

dr.penthotal

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hey dr, great read mate !!!

You gotta love the grapefruit ^^ For sure you are the nycd expert now !!!
Part of my weed adventure started with this NYCD I smoked in Amsterdam in 2005... There was quite a bunch around and wow the taste was always amazing.

We have this pheno around in France from female seeds grapefruit, and grown outdoor it does smell exactly like a fresh opened red grapefruit, I've never smell anything so close to that it was just mindblowing. Unfortunatly grown indoor it does loose this smell to a more sweet c99.

Thanks a lot for sharing those picts, you def have a talent for taking them, and those plants looks very happy ;) Keep it up, keep it green, to our next Smokeout !

The mandarina NYCD clone is something very very special as well... Just straight mandarina essential oil. Probably one of the most impressive taste around ! Nobody can't ignore that, this fruity mandarina oil that just spreads in your mouth all over , wowoooooooo !

Hallo my friend, honoured of your presence down here and of all your compliments!:dance013:
Now I've been smoking my stuff for a while and I recently chopped down some outdoor (need a thread alone for this, too much to say...), while indoor I am ripening some extra time the seed batch to ensure fully mature viable seeds. Lots of crossing of Agent orange male. Some early testing have already started to see how this male breeds out. More to come.
Seeds should be read for some freebies to icmag members and friends who will join the HTCC smokeout, hope to smoke a couple of J together...
I know what you mean about grapefruit female seeds. Smell is unbeliveable at the beginning, but with curing it fades off a bit remaining fruity but not transitioning well to taste, grapefruitness itself is a bit faded anyway.
Mandarina cut (which is supposed to be the real one in amsterdam) is special. It possess this beautiful transition from a pure, creamy tangerine smell into taste. It's really overpowering and unbeliveable how it spreads in your mouth at first hits. Special stuff. This is the trait I'm looking for. NYCD and agent orange so far have it.
Need to have some real GDP and SWT#3/4 to try yet.

Here's some NYCD outdoor just before chopping.

picture.php

picture.php

You have convinced me to get Agent Orange! Nice work.

About agent orange. I'm beginning to think on my researches that the orange velvet that Sub uses with Jack the ripper in his cross can be close to aeric77 cali o clone. I'm saying this thinking of comparing descriptions and picts of the buds structure, stem and branches, finishing time and kind of smell and taste. The complaint about cali O was lack of potency, which in agent orange seem envigoured by JTR genes. Any ideas?
any info would be appreciated.

Best of whishes to everyone,
Keep it green
Dr. P

dimodz

Elite StrainCloneHunter
Veteran
420giveaway
Hi bro :tiphat:

I hope you're still on your project in it ?

peace & best karma
D

gewebegott

this is my first post to this forum.
Love the grapefruits myself... I didn't see any mention about Dinafem's Sweet Deep Grapefruit.
I have had a particularly juicy pheno for over a year now...
Rock hard Nugs like golfballs everywhere... the kinda nugs that hardly shrink when drying.
and glazed with frost that only my apollo13's surpass, at least in my garden.
very pleased to say the least with Dinafems SDG... had only 2 pheno's out of a 5pk. the other pheno was just as smelly but the buds were kinda fluffy.
you might wanna give them a shot also...

dr.penthotal

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hi bro :tiphat:

I hope you're still on your project in it ?

peace & best karma
D
YESSSS.... Sir!
I'm still definitely on it!:artist:
Yesterday I sowed a second bunch of seeds for my grapefruit grail project 2.0... Among them SPGs1, SPGxglo, agent orange f2 and crosses, sweet tooth# 3 and Mosca's, ice cool, Chimera's Cplus and GRxBB, shoreline, dutchman royal orange and more....
Lots of fine seed variety to come this year, together with some testers from my new batch of seeds. I waited a bit to display my joy because I needed to check how orange smell breeds out, and I'm very, very pleased with results so far...:dance013:
I'm surely going to send some to Clarence....
I don't have so much time now, I promise I'll make a separate thread on this round...

this is my first post to this forum.
Love the grapefruits myself... I didn't see any mention about Dinafem's Sweet Deep Grapefruit.
I have had a particularly juicy pheno for over a year now...
Rock hard Nugs like golfballs everywhere... the kinda nugs that hardly shrink when drying.
and glazed with frost that only my apollo13's surpass, at least in my garden.
very pleased to say the least with Dinafems SDG... had only 2 pheno's out of a 5pk. the other pheno was just as smelly but the buds were kinda fluffy.
you might wanna give them a shot also...

Hallo my friend, a warm and grapefruity WELCOME to Icmag!:blowbubbles:
Really honoured of your 'first time' here:tiphat:, really a pleasure that you chose my thread. Thank you for your interesting tip, happy that you found a good pheno. Keep it tight!
Sweet deep grapefruit I think it's a sort of selection or remodeling of the work done with sweet tooth. From my references, it should be the 'blue' male that dinafem uses as her male for other hybrids in her line, crossed with a grapefruit clone. Which clone was that? which blue is that?

This time i preferred to go with some chimera's seeds for the purpose....:ying:
I trust him on the right spg clone used and I'm very curious how this breeds out with the famous b130 male used. Aside I use some different sweet tooth freebies from breeder steve and mosca. (Really happy with his fly hooker so far...).
I know this breeder and trust them as I have tried their work.
With dinafem I grew some moby dick in the past, but didn't impress me so much. But maybe sdg is better.
Keep tuned people. I have soo many new things to show.... so little time by now. see you soon
Citrousy yours
Dr.P

vStagger Leev

Cannaseur
Veteran
Great thread and great nuggets man! Get that sweet tooth #4 IBL... all of my phenos so far smell like sugar and grapefruit rinds. Really amazing! With the super frost to boot. It's good to see someone finding there passion in a flavor of weed and seeking it out. What a journey ;) Much love Dr. P SL

dr.penthotal

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hallo my friends, soo long has passed since my last update. I've been very busy lately but I have some great news I'm happy to share.

First I want to share the 2nd place in outdoor category I scored in italian cannabis cup held in Rome last week. :greenstars:
It was a nice cup, really underground style, like the first Cups I've been in spain something like 10 years ago. Hope that italy will follow spain in legislation....:)
My entry was NycdG13haze grown organically outdoor in a perfect enviroment this year. Not any drop of rain for the whole season. Long sunny season. It was harvested nov 4th. It's the grapefruit haze queen...:)
I'm getting a super feedback from this one, and this makes me really happy...
It was nice to have also it tested with THC tester, reserved for the best 4 in each category.

picture.php

Mine is labelled as o02. It's nice to see the thick red balloon under THC and lot of THCV also. It's important when seeking a strong high. THCV is not common and boosts up the trippy effect of thc alone.

Yesterday I begun harvesting the last round. I'm amazed by the real natural enviroment and soil I succeded in having this time. Super soil to ammend recycled soil from past grow , always in soilbeds Soma style modified.
This time was a round water and only ACT till the end and now, with the strike of general winter (we're currently under snow), I could get the best autumnal colors from my garden. I harvested my nycds1 and it's beautiful!
My friend Dramamine described well as 'rhubarb' the intense fragrance that comes off this plant. It's the same plant showed above outdoor. Amazing that we had such a warm autmn this year that purple was less pronounced.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

It's an afghan leaning pheno of nycd from seeds. It's ready in ridicolous 8 weeks (to be nycd). High is immediate and strong. It one of the most resembling plant I found that matches the amsterdam's.
A true keeper.

picture.php

This picture got into POTM contest this month... so vote for her guys...:)

The hunt goes on.:dance013:
The other special strain I fell in love with is, you all know, agent orange. I'm testing the rest of seeds I had from the original breeder and getting more and more involved.
Moreover I started some of the last seeds I produced from Agent orange #5 male. Now they're sexing, but most of them show an orange backsmell mixed in them. They're going to flower together with a selection from grapefruit project 2.0
Really excited by them....
I needed to make sure they contained some sort of orange before releasing them. And now I'm happy to announce that they arrived to Clarence...:jump:
I'll post more details on them once I'll write down strain descriptions...
So far I posted seeds form amnesia haze, nycdghaze, sour diesel, sour indian, cheese, all crossed with agent orange super male . My selections of best females collected in years of dedicate passion to this plant, all crossed with the latest strain I fell in love with. These should be avaiilable to anyone, so soon they'll be offered as freebies.
I realized I have tons of seeds in my dedicated seeds fridge. I need some help because not just a lifetime is enough to try them all....
Now I'm beginning a new grapefruit project, my goals now are to make a really grapefruity, best if the most grapefruity strain of all times. And aside that find a real orange strain. I need your help guys, this road is so long...

Tnx for listening everyone,
I have so many picts to post during harvest... stay tuned.
Dr.P

ChaosCatalunya

5.2 club is now 8.1 club...
Veteran
Hey Dr P,

Congratulations on your Rome adventure, a great result for you and nice to know that you are doing it as well as it can be done :)

I have just got some of your Sour Diesel x Agent Orange and will start them asap, just after the February 2012 Ice Age .....

I also ran into the Soma Tangerine NYCD that inspired this work of yours. I heard about it before I got to the htcc, a friend there told me it was outstanding, the reality matches your description perfectly. It is the tastiest weed I think I have ever smoked, exceptional in terms of duration and all with that "mouth filling" 10/10 taste.

The cut is here in Spain, being grown right now, soon to be in my hands, right now I have what I think is another NYCD Tangerine, it is not as strong smelling or tasting, but clearly very similar, the high seems more Sativa.

Best of luck with your project, you have some really nice genetics coming along. :tiphat:

"It was great: real red ripe grapefruit taste that was the same as smell, it filled your mouth completely and for minutes after joint that wonderful taste lingered in your mouth like you kept on licking your fingers after you’ve peeled lots of agrumes… And potency! Wow! Always noticeable after any weed out there, NYCD stood out for having a joyful and up high which is still nowadays one of my favourite in Ams........"

StRa

Señor Member
Veteran
great news Dr.P and congratulation for the well deserved 2nd place.......the day after the cup I was there and everybody was talking about your tasty weed!!!!!

Last edited:

dr.penthotal

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Agent orange pictures

Agent orange pictures

I harvested yesterday some plants from last round and I realized I have too few agent orange pictures in here...
This time winter is striking us hard and temperature are going down...
So I achieved best colors. This is agent orange 3, one of my favourite.
Soon other agent orange to appreciate the different tones of red and burgundy this strain can give.
I love it.
Smell and taste from first samples are amazing.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

I've started a 'open source' orange project, take a look at it.:)
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=231115
Stay tuned for more picts.
Dr.P

bunkerman

complilenti doc,l'avevo riassaggiata in albergo ed era proprio bbona :D ..peccato che quà non ci son quasi mai.. :whistling: