What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Blumat auto watering

sunnydog

Drip King
Veteran
i read this entire thread, and im not sure if i recall seeing anytthing about the difference between the regular troph-blumats, and the troph-blumat juniors? anyone know the difference? im wondering if i could buy 200 of these and effectively water my 200 plants?

The Jr's emit water through the carrot.
The regular ones use the carrot as a sensor
The regular one's are what you want.
Yes, you can very easily water 200+ with these.

SD

Lone Wolf

Veteran
The Jr's emit water through the carrot.
The regular ones use the carrot as a sensor
The regular one's are what you want.
Yes, you can very easily water 200+ with these.

SD

why would you recommend the regulars over the juniors?

RicoT

Is there a site selling a kit of 10 or 20 with the carrots, tubing, and all(minus the reservoir of course). I've only been able to find bits and pieces sold separately.

I also see it says the ideal height of the reservoir is 12". What if it's 24"-36" on a shelf over my vert garden. Will I need a pressure reducer, for having my reservoir higher up?

Maj.Cottonmouth

We are Farmers
Veteran
why would you recommend the regulars over the juniors?

Basically the regular ones work much better because they use the clay carrot to expand and contract to open and close the valve that waters the plant. I do not have the juniors but from what I have read they work by keeping the clay carrot at a constant moisture level and the water leaches out of the carrot into the soil. It does not seem that the juniors regulate the water like a regular one but are more like a drip feeder because it feeds constantly. I could be wrong but that is what I have gathered. I tried to look at the rambridge page to confirm but they appear to have been hacked and my anti virus stops the page load, very weird.

Maj.Cottonmouth

We are Farmers
Veteran
Is there a site selling a kit of 10 or 20 with the carrots, tubing, and all(minus the reservoir of course). I've only been able to find bits and pieces sold separately.

I also see it says the ideal height of the reservoir is 12". What if it's 24"-36" on a shelf over my vert garden. Will I need a pressure reducer, for having my reservoir higher up?

No you will not, I am using a 5 gallon res that is 30" off the floor without a pressure reducer. Since they are adjustable you compensate for the slightly higher pressure be running them a little tighter.

Maj.Cottonmouth

We are Farmers
Veteran
A couple of people posted earlier in this thread about their Blumats working fine for a while and then going crazy and flowing a ton more water for no apparent reason. I think I know why this happens and how to fix it.

Take a Blumat out of the box and loosen the adjuster enough so you can pull the hose either forward or back about an inch and you will see a crimped down spot on the hose where the adjuster has been pinching it closed for how ever long. Pinch the sides of the crimp and roll the hose back and forth until the crimp pops free. Pull the hose back into place and this issue should not happen. I try to place the crimped spot near but not right under the adjuster.

I have not had it happen but it was a concern. I believe the crimped spot if not "fixed" is popping free on it own at some point and the flow is on.

A couple of people posted earlier in this thread about their Blumats working fine for a while and then going crazy and flowing a ton more water for no apparent reason. I think I know why this happens and how to fix it.

Take a Blumat out of the box and loosen the adjuster enough so you can pull the hose either forward or back about an inch and you will see a crimped down spot on the hose where the adjuster has been pinching it closed for how ever long. Pinch the sides of the crimp and roll the hose back and forth until the crimp pops free. Pull the hose back into place and this issue should not happen. I try to place the crimped spot near but not right under the adjuster.

I have not had it happen but it was a concern. I believe the crimped spot if not "fixed" is popping free on it own at some point and the flow is on.
Hey!
I Really didn't know this. Thanks for the heads up.

Lapides

Rosin Junky and Certified Worm Wrangler
Veteran
I believe the crimped spot if not "fixed" is popping free on it own at some point and the flow is on.

I don't think this is the case. If the crimp was still crimped when you dial them in for the first time, then you would get little to no flow from the get-go, ya know?

I believe what happens is the carrot dries out completely, suction is lost on the valve, valve stays open, THEN the rez gets empty and everything gets soaked.

That's what I think happens to me anyway. That's why I go around every so often to make sure everything is as it should be.

In my experience, these aren't 100% set it and forget it. But pretty damn close. And herds better than handwatering.

Lone Wolf

Veteran
I sent an email to the guy at sustainable village and he said he would be unable to get me 100+ of these drippers for atleast a month minimum! OUCH!

Lazyman

Overkill is under-rated.
Veteran
Most of the places I tried to order them from online wouldn't allow the US as a shipping option, dunno why though!

magicbean

The blumat juniors cannot be used for feeding either, plain water only.

AFAIK this is not entirely true. The Jr. guide says you can use liquid chemical nutrients just fine.

That being said, I'm taking my plants off the juniors and hand watering for now. Although they aren't overwatered per se, there's some fungus growing on top of the soil.

K

Kelly.

just picked a few of these up today.
they didnt have any extra 3mm line though :(

ill work on getting this all setup soon enough though...

K

Kelly.

local hydro store.
that is part of why i couldnt get all the things needed (main the extra 3mm line)

sunnydog

Drip King
Veteran
local hydro store.
that is part of why i couldnt get all the things needed (main the extra 3mm line)
They can order it for you.
It is worth it.
Using them with the supplied length is a huge pain in the ass.
It can be done, but I like a real long piece so I can move things around a bit.
Good luck!

SD