What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Colorado networking

X

xavier7995

I have been really really enjoying my new house since the weather got cold. The past couple of years have been mighty cold staying in shit holes to save up money, ice forming inside windows and a draft strong enough to fly a kite. Its a win for me that required several years of struggle so enjoying the fruits of my labor.

On the garden front, have one about finished and a few no where close out in my greenhouse. I am curious how they wether the cold out in it, thing is small but really well designed/built. It had electric so i might stick a space heater in there or something. I need to seal up my garage a bit, finally got my venting system built but it is pulling cold air from under the garage door, at least it isn't pushing smelly weed scent air into the house anymore. Plants in there look a bit pissed due to the cold, but will come around just fine, they too may need a space heater.

Defacto

Well Defacto my friend....tell us what you are in to. Are you a grower, breeder or a midnight toker???/

lol

I am about as old a grower as you! :tiphat:

Not up at midnight much but, tbh, if I am up, I am toking.

I've become a Colorado resident and am growing legally for the first time. (If you don't ask the Feds.)

Putembk

One Toke Over The Line
Premium user
Late morning.

@ Defacto.....Isn't growing legally nice....I was lucky enough to be here from the start. Legalized marijuana came to me I didn't come to it....But welcome! This is a beautiful with much more to offer than the plant we all love. I am almost never up past 10....midningt? Not even on New Years Eve....

Glad you are settled in xavier.....a drafty house in this state....yuk....supposed to be a bad winter....you will enjoy it more then....

Looks like we have a good Colo contingent with more showing up daily...I don't know if this is the Marijuana capitol of the world but we sure have put it on the map....try going out of state and telling a local you are from Colo and watch the expression on their face...

I was at a funeral in KS last year and had to make a run to the store....everybody laughed and said I was going out for a smoke....actually I was....

Any pool shooters here? I shoot a good game of 9-ball. Have a table downstairs in my man cave....if anybody is ever interested on a cold snowy day....I am game.....might sample a few strains while shooting as well.

I am processing horseradish today and need to get back at it.....later.

BOMBAYCAT

Veteran
Colorado MMJ grower here and just checking in. It looks like winter is early this year, although I had a decent outdoor season. I have a mom plant and a different clone hanging out inside waiting on next spring. I guess I am a seed whore as I have lots of packs of seeds to go through. What do you think of the excerpts from the Ed Rosenthal book? He recommends curing in a climate controlled area instead of the Mason jar burp for a couple weeks that I did.

Putembk

One Toke Over The Line
Premium user
:moon: @ the Feds
Couldn't have said it better myself.....nice ass....

@Bombay....I think the dry/cure is as important as the genetics and the technique you use to grow...

Don't know anything about the book you mentioned but here is my .02.

Dry and cure are two separate things. When I cut a plant down I do a quick trim cutting off all but the sugar leaves. I then move it into a sealed room at 60% humidity....I slowly let it drop down to 50% over the next several days. When the branches start to snap when bending I dry trim and move to paper sacks, usually a couple more days. Judgement and experience tells me when to move to jars. You don't dry in jar!!!! If you are having to do that by leaving the lids off you moved the buds to quick.

The first few days in jars you pop the lids making sure the buds don't get to spongy. It is a dry vs. spongy process. Over time you leave the lids on longer and longer.

The curing process really starts when you can start leaving the lids closed....

From start to finish this is a 30 day process for me. If you do this right the buds are gonna smell and taste like you had hoped for..

IMO. If you just leave the finished product in a controlled room without jars....they aren't gonna smell or taste like you had hoped for....more like straw...

Defacto

Any pool shooters here? I shoot a good game of 9-ball. Have a table downstairs in my man cave....if anybody is ever interested on a cold snowy day....I am game.....might sample a few strains while shooting as well.

I am processing horseradish today and need to get back at it.....later.

Haven't shot pool since my school days but I'd enjoy a game or two.

How about some forage radishes?

Attachments

• Radish.jpg
    Radish.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 24

Putembk

One Toke Over The Line
Premium user
Morning.....Nice radishes Defacto. My wife eats radishes like popcorn....I back plant them almost every other week....good thing they grow fast....

Going to the mountains to see all my mountain friends this week. Love it up there life is so mellow. Nobody gets upset about things city folk do. A traffic jam is a deer on the highway.....nearest stop light is 20 miles away and my cabin is past where the blacktop ends....

Will spend the time up there stacking wood and fishing for spawning brown trout. I know all the spawning areas for 20 miles in every direction and the run should be in full swing. If it is really good I will come back up next week...

One other nice thing......90% of the peeps up there are marijuana friendly.....

CowboyTed

Any of you guys do any hobby breeding? A pal and I have been talking about some sort of collective for breeding.. but once again there's no incentive beyond having a fun community project.

I'm planning to do some breeding, mostly just because I'm curious to learn how broad the differences are among phenos from a single cross. Of course, if I find a pheno I really like, I might try to stablilize it over time.

I like the idea of a collective of sorts. I envision a loose group who maybe keep in touch by email, and let the others know what strains we are working with, what pollen we have stored, that sort of thing. What do you have in mind?

It would be nice, of course, to get together to burn a few samples of our breeding results from time to time! It would also be informative to have a look at each other's grows, as long as we are very conscious to shower and wear clean clothes when we go visiting, to avoid sharing pests. (I'm battling aphids at the moment.)

I just finished my outdoor harvest, and switched my indoor plants into flower tonight. I have six plants in flower, and plan to rotate various strains into the mix each month or so, and try to harvest two plants each month perpetually.

For the moment I'm growing Blueberry, Lemon Haze and three mostly unknown hybrids I picked up as seeds or clones at a local dispensary. Over the winter I'll also be growing ten different strains from Ace Seeds, mostly their African Sativas.

Last edited:

RedBeardy5

I'm looking for some new genetics, I currently am running purple punch, gg4, and Jack frost. Anyone wanna do some trades?

samiam

I hope you don't have root aphids. I had them once, never could kill them had to cut every thing down and start over.

I'm up for helping with breeding. I only have clones though. Blue dream×grape stomper, 91 chem, 9 lb hammer, gg4, alien og.

how long does pollen last in the freezer?

Hydro8

I'm looking for some new genetics, I currently am running purple punch, gg4, and Jack frost. Anyone wanna do some trades?

After the new year I will be interested in the Purple Punch if you still have it, I am letting my garden go blank for the holiday travel season.

I have been wanting to grow a good purple. How is it ?

I am not sure what I will have been eyeing a few different things.

CowboyTed

I hope you don't have root aphids. I had them once, never could kill them had to cut every thing down and start over.

Thankfully they are not root aphids. These are little white buggers that crawl around on the stems, sucking sap. Simple mild soapy water kills them, but you have to spray them directly and soak them, so a few always seem to come crawling out of their hiding spots where they avoided the spray.

I saw them first on my outdoor plants this summer, and it seems I brought them inside to infect my indoor plants as well. I caught some ladybugs and brought them into my grow cabinet, and they seemed to keep the aphid population in check for a while, but the aphids kept reproducing, and the ladybugs couldn't keep up. I tried liquid sevin, which seemed to have no effect, but soapy water works great. I think the aphids are nearly gone now, so hopefully I'll have a pest-free winter grow.

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
Redbeard5 said:
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
samiam said:
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]I'm up for helping with breeding. I only have clones though. Blue dream×grape stomper, 91 chem, 9 lb hammer, gg4, alien og.
[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Being new at this, I want to try everything, so I'd be happy to do some clone swapping through time.
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Can anyone explain the rules for discussing swaps on this forum? I've seen some indications around the site that the moderators are touchy about people discussing sales. Do they prefer that we discuss swaps by private message as well? I value this site, and I don't want to get banned!
[/FONT]
[/FONT]

My breedy days are in the past, but I still have plenty of seeds for responsible growers! I worked with signature strains of the 90s and early 00s, not a lot of landrace stuff, but my selection procress was very extensive.