What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

(DON'T) Flush & let plant yellow before harvest?

DunHav`nFun

my tap water comes out at 44-50ppms.. its so low I think it will be fine for flushing..

and I do 2 sometimes 3 weeks in coco.. for some reason.. these plants love to stay green .. I was doing 2 week flush but wasn't getting the fade I like.. so I switched to 1 week of half .. then 2 weeks flush.. and have been seeing a way better fade..

Hey bro....That`s awesome for tapwater quality , but even 50 ppms will slow down the cannibalization process during late phase....

Coco`s CEC/cation exchange capacity is such that it holds onto X amount of nutrients before the plant gets access to said ppms built up in the rootzone from the get....that said...

You`re not flushing the plant , but rather the medium , and depending on what feed levels you ran up until the time you start the flush , plus what`s already built up in the medium AND all excess nitrogen stored in the large fanleaves , will altogether slow natural plant senescence till end of cycle...and yes....

Very good points made Weedaholic , but even though subjective as Sourpuss states , Cali Medville has determined over the last 20 yrs of grower competition and dispensary/collective`s requirements for so-called top shelf product as such to be the cleanest end result by whatever means necessary to let the plant cannibalize itself till end of cycle....anyways....

EC710....You can hasten the fade runnin coco by getting rid of all large fanleaves and any more that aren't growing out of the colas/golfballs over the last few weeks as you begin your flush.....

After all...with straight water the plants will be using what`s leftover in the coco , and with all fans gone , the only part of the plants that will be using leftover nutrient storebanks will be said colas/golfballs for swelling during lights off , and worse things could happen....and lastly....

For all you guys thinking about losing the plant`s solar panels disrupting photosynthesis , I assure all here that what`s left on the plants that`s growing out of the nugs themselves are far more than enough foliage left for end of cycle and all that scientific sugar conversion shit I know nothing about....

Just a grower that busted my ass over a lifetime of doin this shit , in an illegal state I might add , and learned from my mistakes , and the last medium I grew in was coco , and that shit has issues , but once dialed , produces as close to hydro returns compared to my other setups over the yrs that killed it as well.....regardless....food for thought...and again....to each their own....

My 2 cents from all those yrs....and....

Peace....DHF....:ying:....

EastCoast710

Hey bro....That`s awesome for tapwater quality , but even 50 ppms will slow down the cannibalization process during late phase....

Coco`s CEC/cation exchange capacity is such that it holds onto X amount of nutrients before the plant gets access to said ppms built up in the rootzone from the get....that said...

You`re not flushing the plant , but rather the medium , and depending on what feed levels you ran up until the time you start the flush , plus what`s already built up in the medium AND all excess nitrogen stored in the large fanleaves , will altogether slow natural plant senescence till end of cycle...and yes....

Very good points made Weedaholic , but even though subjective as Sourpuss states , Cali Medville has determined over the last 20 yrs of grower competition and dispensary/collective`s requirements for so-called top shelf product as such to be the cleanest end result by whatever means necessary to let the plant cannibalize itself till end of cycle....anyways....

EC710....You can hasten the fade runnin coco by getting rid of all large fanleaves and any more that aren't growing out of the colas/golfballs over the last few weeks as you begin your flush.....

After all...with straight water the plants will be using what`s leftover in the coco , and with all fans gone , the only part of the plants that will be using leftover nutrient storebanks will be said colas/golfballs for swelling during lights off , and worse things could happen....and lastly....

For all you guys thinking about losing the plant`s solar panels disrupting photosynthesis , I assure all here that what`s left on the plants that`s growing out of the nugs themselves are far more than enough foliage left for end of cycle and all that scientific sugar conversion shit I know nothing about....

Just a grower that busted my ass over a lifetime of doin this shit , in an illegal state I might add , and learned from my mistakes , and the last medium I grew in was coco , and that shit has issues , but once dialed , produces as close to hydro returns compared to my other setups over the yrs that killed it as well.....regardless....food for thought...and again....to each their own....

My 2 cents from all those yrs....and....

Peace....DHF....:ying:....

ya I know the 50ppms could be changed.. but as of right now.. in a rental.. what would be a cheap easy solution to get my ppms to 0 or very close to it?

could I just use a pur water filter to try and filter the calcium and whatever else?

or

because this could explain why no matter how much flushing I cannot get a fade on every single plant especially 1 variety I have just will not fade out.

X

xavier7995

In soil now so will not flush. Previously in coco I gave about a week of water....but am in the no flush camp. I really didn't see much difference between flushing two weeks vs. A day or two.

clown baby

after jerkin off to enough heath robinson threads i just started feeding a flat 1.2EC, a bit higher for some thirsty indicas, all the way through flower.

taste is fine, ash is fine. I know there are some people who feed like 2.0... their results might vary.

this is in recirculating top feed. not sure it translates to soil

GoatCheese

Veteran
There is a huge difference with bud that hasn't been flushed and "white ash" clean bud.

Strong weed does not make you hack your lungs out, poor flush does that.

Sure some type of cannabis has more leaf on them or the leaf material can be very thick, which play a role in smoothness of the smoke, but even these plants get better with proper flush.

I grow in soil and with BioBizz nutes, and i stop giving them nutes around 4+ weeks/30 days before harvest. For the next few weeks i give them water + TopMax (humics/fulvics/sugars, i think) but i don't actually flush the medium that hard at this point, just normal little run off. When there's about 1,5 weeks to harvest, i stop giving them the TopMax and i'll start flushing (big,big run-off) the soil abit harder with water. If i'm not happy with the color of the buds after 30 days, i may give them 5-7 days extra to get a smoother smoke.

With a 10-11 week plants, i stop giving them nutrients few days after the burst of calyxes around weeks 6-7 has begun. This way, i see, that there is plenty of nutes in the soil for the plant to pack on some weight for the next few weeks, till the fan leaves really start to turn yellow.

If someone is worried about losing weight if they don't feed their plants till harvest time..
I take 50 grams of "white ash"-bud over 70 grams of unflushed bud any day, any strain.

Even for commercial growers, i bet you fucks can scam more money off your customers when you introduce them to white ash-bud. So in the end i doubt yous thieves will lose any money. You might even gain more customers to hustle when the word gets out about this nice (but hugely over priced) product you selling. ..may your filthy souls rot in hell. :biggrin:

When you really flush our pots (1:1 with size of the pot size) it's good to let the soil dry out well before another flush, cause you can easily stun the plants with over watering like this, and in worst cases it can lead to root/stem/bud rot. After the soil has dried well enough, for 2-4 days, i give them few normal waterings before the next larger flush, to make it easier on them.

What makes flushing alot easier in the end, is not over feeding the plants in the first place.
When you look at large number of indoor grows, the leaf material is very dark green, much darker than on cannabis that's growing would in nature. When i have fed my plants to grow really dark green, it is quite hard to get all the nutrients out of the soil before harvest.

:)

DunHav`nFun

ya I know the 50ppms could be changed.. but as of right now.. in a rental.. what would be a cheap easy solution to get my ppms to 0 or very close to it?

could I just use a pur water filter to try and filter the calcium and whatever else?

or

because this could explain why no matter how much flushing I cannot get a fade on every single plant especially 1 variety I have just will not fade out.
First off..how high are you feeding throughout the grow before the flush....then...

Try pullin fan leaves last couple weeks till they`re all gone as you flush with your 50 ppm tapwater and see if they keep swellin from the 50 ppms of cal but finally fade from natural plant senescence caused by all the nitrogen stored in the fans being done away with by pluckin the fans...and sure....

You can get pur filters if you`re only growin small amounts , and you can get that new H2 Zero filter thingy that comes with it`s own TDS/EC/PPM meter , but I assure you that in the last couple weeks till chop if you remove all the fans gradually till all gone that it wont stunt the plant , but rather help it finish faster with all nitrogen reserves gone.....anyways....

Good luck....DHF....:ying:....

Last edited:

EastCoast710

First off..how high are you feeding throughout the grow before the flush....then...

Try pullin fan leaves last couple weeks till they`re all gone as you flush with your 50 ppm tapwater and see if they keep swellin from the 50 ppms of cal but finally fade from natural plant senescence caused by all the nitrogen stored in the fans being done away with by pluckin the fans...and sure....

You can get pur filters if you`re only growin small amounts , and you can get that new H2 Zero filter thingy that comes with it`s own TDS/EC/PPM meter , but I assure you that in the last couple weeks till chop if you remove all the fans gradually till all gone that it wont stunt the plant , but rather help it finish faster with all nitrogen reserves gone.....anyways....

Good luck....DHF....:ying:....

ya I already take most the fans off at this point.. wen I start flushing I go pull off all the fans without crystals.. leaving anything that's going into the hash bin..

I'm thinking of just grabbing something I can use strictly for the flush only.. any filter that will get my ppms down to around 0.. ill use for 2-3 weeks then put it away till harvest again..

no use in using RO or 0ppm water during the feeding when I don't need to .

I feed around 800-1000ppm on my cheapo TDS-3 meter.. throughout flower. then a week at 300-500.. then tap water until I chop..

edit - I run coco .. just so people don't get confused.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts