What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Pipedream"s 150w Tiny Bubbler System

G

More nebie questions

More nebie questions

Hey all

First off Id like to introduce myself as a newbie here and I must admit I'm quite impressed with the amount of info to be had...Not to mention you peeps willingness to help and share your wisdon

I had this posted in another forum, but since I received no replies I decided to move it here

After going thru the forums, I've decided to try my hand at some hydro...This is my first attempt at hydro after a few disappointing soil grows...My plan is to do something similar to Pipedreams grow, minus the fancy cabinet...Instead I plan on a simple home built box design that will solely be used for flowering...Clone/veg/mother will be done in the open air

Instead of explaining the whole equipment thingy, I'd just like to point out I'll be going with a 150w HPS for flowering...My mother (when I get one)/clone/seedling area will be under 90w blue CFL's...Starting from seed...I'm planning on 3-4 6-qt. bubblers

Since this is my first hydro grow, and starting with bag seed, I will be using GH Flora series on the Lucas schedule...NO other nutes or additives will be used...Wanna keep it nice and simple for the first time...One thing that puzzles me regarding Pipe's grow is that he puts his clones right in with the flowering plants...Which brings me to my questions:

1) How will my clones react to going under the HPS on 12/12?

2) How long should I veg the clones? I figure 2-3 weeks under the CFL's until they are 5-6"...Or can I simply veg them under the HPS at 12/12 and switch nute formula when I decide they are ready to flower

3) How will the clone/seedlings do if I start them in soil then transfer to hydro

4) If I manage only males my first time around, what kind finished product can I expect?

I'm sure I'll post more questions seeing I'm just now putting all the pieces together

Thanks in advance

Pipedream

Proudly Growing My Own Since 1969
Veteran
1) Cannabis plants will flower at any size or age once put on a reduced lighting schedule. However, a clone first needs to develop a good root-mass before it can be placed on a 12/12 schedule.

2) Once the root-mass is there, how long you veg the clones is totally up to the grower. It depends on how large you want the plant to grow, how many growing tips you desire, and the style of your grow. For instance, some growers go with a true SOG in which each plant only has a single stalk and cola.

3) It will work OK as long as they aren't allowed to stay in the soil too long. The better option would be to root them in rock-wool, pearlite, or other medium.

4) Not too good at all. Male plants have a very very low THC content. If they must be utilized, the best option would likely be ISO hash.

Good Luck and let me know if I can be of further help.

greenz

great thread i just start my grow cabinet and modeled it after your hope it turns out okay i am a newbie grow and trying to take in all the tips i can get.

durtymyk

damn, i was just doing a manuel mix-n-pour grow cube hydro setup, but i think once they ready to flower im going to do a little bubbler set up....the roots are really starting to get crazy, speacially for my M-39 KUSH beast...i am truely inspired...awesome job... ,dirty out

pittbull

question

question

how much can a 5 gal bubbler can yeild if you can only use half of it because the net pot sits halfway down the bucket

Pipedream

Veteran
Your yield is not determined by the size of your bucket as long as it is properly maintained. Yield is more determined by genetics, growing height, available light, nutrients, temperatures, CO2 & O2. If all conditions are ideal, you'll get about the same amount from a 1 gallon bubbler as you will a 5 gallon one.

Growing under a 150w HPS a well cared for plant will yield between 1.5 and 2.5 ounces. Increase your light and increase your yield.

pittbull

thanks pipe dream . i juss added a fan in my closet grow . its takeing up much needed space but it the only thing i got . i got the temp to read around 80 is the hottest it gets . my closet is really 4 foot long but i split it in half with a tarp . looks pretty ghetto but its all i got . you dont think that light is enough to yeild more then 2.5 ounces in a 2x2x5.5 area ? its hps and mh i can make a switch if i wanted to

Twisted

PipeDream, Nice Cabnet! I have been looking for Green Glass light bulbs, Where could I find them? It's easy to find the cheap paint on green bulbs but I cant find the glass ones.

"The original intent and still main use of these is to hold green bulbs. This is a cool idea I picked up while hanging out at the local Agricultural University Extension Service. They use them to work in the greenhouses during the dark period. Plants can’t utilize true green light in the photosynthesis process, and as a result it won’t disrupt their dark cycle. My job requires me to travel quite a bit and I never know exactly when I’ll be available to tend my garden. The use of green light has given me 24-hour access even during flowering. If you choose to use this technique be sure to get green-glass bulbs not just bulbs with a green coating on them."

Pipedream

Veteran
Twisted - believe it or not I actually found my last set of green-glass bulbs at a Dollar Store. The original bulbs lasted a few years, and I see no reason why these shouldn't as well.

Pittbull - a 150w HPS is a limited light source. You'll get a couple of o-z's from each of 1 to 3 plants, but that's about it. Although, if you are only growing for yourself and to entertain friends now and then, it should be more than enough to keep you green between harvests. If you plan to sell or supply others, you really need to move up to a more powerful bulb.

snadsnad

I like the word socks

I like the word socks

I've been reading a lot of threads on here and I think I've decided to go with your system for growing. I do live in an apartment by myself however and I'm not sure I want something as big as your setup for fear of possibly having to move it out at any point in time.

That being said, I plan to use this as my cabinet. I guess first off, is it ok to use something plastic like this with a 150-200w HPS bulb? I also plan on doing scrog given the limited space, I'll probably put the scrog right where the shelf/divider is in the cabinet or perhaps make multiple ones so I can stagger.

Also I guess this is more of a favor but there are three areas I really need to polish up on before starting:
1) How do I do the nutrients for this kind of system?
2) Keeping moms around to make clones off of. Is just as easy as keeping them in a separate cabinet with some weak flourescent lights on a 24 cycle and watering them now and then? Again, I will be doing this in a small space as well so I don't want them getting huge
3) Would this Aero Machine be adequete to start the clippings from the moms before putting them into the buckets? While I have the clones in this machine can I just keep them in the same cabinet as the moms on the same light cycle until i get some decent rooting?

I'm going to start searching on these three questions now but I figured I'd take a shot in the dark in case someone has any threads relevant to these questions bookmarked or feels like answering them.

Thanks for taking time to read this.

Pipedream

Veteran
Sorry Guy, but your cabinet link only took me to the Home DePot home page. However, yes you can use a plastic cabinet with a 150w HPS. Just be sure to have enough ventilation to keep your heat in check. As far as nutes go, any hydro shop will have a wide variety of easy to mix products. If you intend on staying with hydro, you'll need to buy a TDS meter to verify the concentration of your bath. You can pick up a cheap one on ebay for less than 15 bucks. That's what I did years ago and I've used the same one ever since.

You're spot on with the Mom idea. Weak lighting, weak nutes, and a small container. Keep her in potting soil and she'll make a good houseplant that will live for years.

The Aero Machine is a nice simple growing solution that will support 6 medium sized plants. I've seen it in use, and others similar to it, and it does a fine job. My suggestion is to go and look at it at a hydro shop, then build one yourself. Very easy and much cheaper. Plus, if something goes wrong during your grow you will be intimately familiar with the system. Besides, you can use it for full size plants or clones. ANd lastly, yes the clones and Mom should be on the same lighting cycle.

Thanks for stopping by and feel free to ask if you have more ?????

snadsnad

Thank you very much for the answers, clears a lot of things up.

My other concern besides the cabinet being plastic are the dimensions: 35.8"x30"19" (HxWxD). I plan on having two seperate growing tubs/collections side by side in there with their own independent scrog because of the height, unless you think it wouldn't be necessary to scrog.

I'm designing it this way in order to hopefully get a nice continuous harvest going by planting one tub and then a month or two later plant the other. Anyone see any holes in this plan at all or have better ideas? I ask this specifically just to make sure the light cycle (12/12) will work for both systems even though the plants will be different ages.

I think that made sense.

Thanks again.

Last edited:

Pipedream

Veteran
Sounds like a plan to me. Lots of other small growers use the two tub set-up to produce a continous supply of buds. Also, you'll have to stick with either a SCROG, SOG, LST, or similar training program because of your limited growing height. While you have almost 36 inches, you'll loose about 10 to your lamp and another 12 or so to your tub. That only leaves you with about 14 inches of actual growing height.

It can be done. Check out some of the set-ups in the "150w HPS Club" thread. You may get some great ideas and inspiration.

katythedog

Nutrient Questions

Nutrient Questions

Hi Pipedream! I am starting the same set up as you. I have a nutrient question, I also have the same nutes, BC Grow, Bloom, Boost. My plan is to use 1/2 strength for the first 2 weeks, then switch to full strength. Now I know I should top off with plain (PH balanced) water when the levels get low. My question is when to totally change out the nutes or do you just continue adding water until you switch the nutes for flowering phase. Not sure if I should be totally changing the nutes every two weeks until the flowering phase or just keeping topping off with water. I LOVE your setup and am doing the exact same thing, can't wait!! Thanks for sharing the thread, it answered 99% of my questions.

Pipedream

Veteran
Yep, I start off around 200 PPM and slowly work my way up to about 1000 PPM where I keep them thru harvest. If you use tiny buckets like mine, you'll find there is really no reason to do a total change of the nutes every two weeks. The plants just use everything up. I only do a complete change and wash of the tub when I switch over from veg to bloom. Or if things start to look funky, but that seldom happens. As far as topping off with plain water goes.... the object is for your plants to use the H2O and nutes at the same rate. If they do, you'll need to add nutes at what ever strength is appropriate for that stage of growth. Otherwise, you'll have to adjust what you are adding either up or down. You'll surely need a TDS meter to keep up with it. If you don't have one, they can be had on ebay for about 10 bucks.

Welcome aboard and feel free to ask away if you should have any additional ???????

katythedog

More Questions

More Questions

Thanks for your quick response. I did buy the ppm measuring instrument. So now I'm a little confused, I think. My buckets are small like yours they are 5 quarts, with 6 inch net pots, & hydroton and also have the 1 in airstones with a manifold so I can shut the valves on and off (like yours). So my main concern is giving too many nutes. So I guess what you are saying is to start off using approx 200 ppm nutes, then work up to the 1000 range. So do you ever top off with water? or do you just keep checking the ppm's? I know I should be checking the PH every few days. I am sooo worried about killing with too many nutes. Also using rain water like you and it is perfectly PH balanced. Oh, one more, do you use the Thrive Alive with the nutes or just the Bloom, Boost, & Grow. Thanks for your help, I hope I'm not a pain ...

Pipedream

Veteran
The only time I top off with plain water is if my concentration is on the rise. Suppose I'm at a stage where I want the plants to be at 450 PPM so I set it with my nutes using my meter. Then two days go by and I check it again. Now I see that the water level is way down, but the nutes now measure 575 PPM. What's happening is that the plants are taking up more water than nutes. In this case, I'd use plain water to bring it back down to where I want it. If this happens a few times in a row, I'd know that I'm giving them more nutes then they can uptake and might even drop it to 400 or 375 for a while. It's always a balancing act to try to keep both H20 & nute consumption even. As far as Thrive Alive goes...every once and a while I'll throw just one drop in my tubs. I don't do it often and I'm not really sure that it does anything great. Its one of those things that I figure can't hurt as long as you don't over-do-it. The key to additives and any changes is "everything in moderation" These plants really don't need much attention or babying. They pretty much grow fine on their own.

Last edited:

katythedog

Thanks again

Thanks again

I get it now. Thanks for all the help. I'll keep you posted on my progress. And, I'm sure I'll be picking your brain some more!!!! :joint:

Latest posts

Latest posts