What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

The Gardening with ALMOST free supplys Grow 2011... Check it again!.

Manitoid

Yawn. finally the spring is here!
That's a joke as we've been busy on the farm already but finally there are things occurring.

We created our own topsoil from compost piles with our annual roots in last years outdoor:

The Gardening with free supplys Grow! Check it.

Budget is still a concern, as everyone should know we can grow amazing A+ without feeding the grow store thousands. But we are trying to be twice as productive per hole (on average) as last year with twice as many holes. (growing the farm by a factor of 4).
With that in mind we can no longer be the free supplies grow.

So we are now the "Gardening with ALMOST Free Supplies" grow. On to the meat. Being conscious of free supplies all around us locally still remains the backbone of the game here.

On to the pursuits of 2011:

So we dug out the holes from last year and we noticed many things. the holes were no longer compost piles of different materials. They were now comprised of what could be described as the most lush "native" soil (I made it here) that Colorado desert has seen in a long time.

It was heavy, but black and full of life. Red worms and last year 5 species of mushrooms fruited under the plants.

The old holes were 3X3 feet squares 4 feet deep. After dig out it was observed that the most vigorous root growth occurred in the top two feet. The sides of the holes are sand (desert) and there weren't many roots penetrating the sand sides deeper than 2 feet. Less decomposition of pile as well, although still black, woody things remained.

So in the interest in go big or go home, or maybe karmic yoga, or maybe self torture, we collapsed the holes as we made them bigger around. Countless hours of pick axe work and hard pan smashing. One can not describe the suffering endured in early season dig out projects. You should try it!

We are on the other side of that hell and have holes that are 6 ft round and 2 ft deep on average. The "native" soil is too beautiful and alive to discard so we amend it as great soil that needs lightened, innoculated, and nutrition added.

EACH Hole received:

- Black earth from each original hole (2nd year) that was removed to reshape. Holes are way bigger so require some more things.
- 2 wheelbarrows horse shit. From 10 truckloads free last year, now 2 years old. from the farms compost pile so some of this contained chicken refuse straw and poop from the chicken coop. mostly horse dookie compost
- 2 wheelbarrows Peat Moss. Cheapest way to get the properties I wanted. purchased in 1X 55cuft bale (800lbs) expands to 110 cubic feet.
- 2 wheelbarrows Perlite. again the cheapest way to get what I wanted. I will be organic. I didnt want perlite in an in the earth hole, but the holes are contained and are always reused so feel okay with it. purchased as 2 X 55cuft bales
- 1 bag of agricultural limestone (crushed dolomite) smaller bag each for calcium, magnesium and some PH buffer for the peat most put in there.

each 55cuft pallet was a skid so 3 skids of materials. however only one bag to throw away from peat moss. Perlite was purchased bulk in bags with deposit I return and they reuse. (two 55cuft bags!!!! huge!) so I also got to buy 3 pallets of materials and make almost no trash, WHICH IS IMPORTANT...
SEE HERE

Each hole is soaked to saturation with water to again start life process. AACT of the vegetative type was brewed and poured on all the holes as kick ass microbe, bacteria, and fungus inoculant.

WHAT WE ARE GROWING (MAYBE...):

Now the holes sit until June 1! We spend our time doing test runs of genetics and popping seeds and such. We have a very limited amount of holes, and we want to and will achieve the full potential of each hole... I mean hell they are over 400g each.

So we flower out every potential cutting March and April and keep enough clones of each one to keep for full season outdoor. We harvest this weed, smoke it, make decisions.

clones for outdoor were cut march 1 and will veg almost 3 months before being placed out June 1. (As a reminder we put out clones June 1 last year and had a couple close to #5)

So in may we see every potential nug before a full season plant even gets set outdoors. if one strain is amazing, then it could get 5 holes in the ground.

IF IT IS NOT AMAZING IT GETS
ZERO HOLES IN THE GREENHOUSE!!!

Potential Candidates...

DJ Short Blueberry

DJ Short Grape Krush
DJ Short Flo (2 diff cuts, cross fingers)
Blue Goo
Blue Dream
Green Crack (see pics, first test completed, it passes)
Elephant Bud
Strawberry Cough (We are in colorado right)
SAGE
White Russian
Saw Tooth (Fastest grower, fastest cloner so far...)

5 X naturalization project females from 18 seeds popped from last years grow. have 2 male candidates will breed males with all above for 2012 outdoor. I want colorado high country naturalized weed, and I will have it. the other 11 inferior males and females were culled as this project is important and they were inferior.

The mother of these seeds are either Sour Diesel, Hawaiian, or Grand Daddy Purple (prized) that grew in the greenhouse in 2010.

What i am looking for is several generations of outdoor that are mine, and some true hybrid vigor!

So far the only plants to flower of the potentials above is the Green Crack. It smells so very very sweet. amazingly resinous. There were really almost no leaves for the trash pile, as all had hash potential. I am excited for 3 months of veg on this baby by June 1.

picture.php

picture.php

Quality of the photography aside... CHECK OUT THEM ACTIVES!

picture.php

So i will take some pics of the greenhouse. It is a giant laying in slumber. It is most suitable for full season.

So in the early season this year you can tune in here to see how the test runs of all the above listed cuts turn out BEFORE WE PLACE ANY IN THE GROUND! In a couple weeks we get to see how our white russian and a different green crack cut will be for us. Around the first week of May the test run on all of the other cuts listed above will be ready for inspection.We have some of all of them though just in case, and the full season plants are already alive.

3 months of veg before June 1. Root bound 7 gallon Smart Pot at final transplant? We shall see.

Thanks as always for tuning in. Looking forward to a great year for us all...

trying a different yet soothing text colour...what do you think?

dansbuds

Retired from the workforce Bullshit
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I am watching this like a hawk ... your doing exactly what i dream of doing . just can't do it here cuz it would be gone before i got to harvest it .

this outa be great !!! good luck dude ... make me envious !!!

H

Habel

this ones a follower, sounds like sum yummy strains! good luck this year!

Krull

Soul Feeder
Veteran
Last year's grow was very nice Manitoid, keeping things simple and cheap is always attractive imho.

Best of luck

:lurk:

=K

Sounds like all your ducks are in a row. I cant wait to get digging :) Best of luck to ya's this season. May you be blessed with a healthy garden :)

mapinguari

Veteran
Glad to see you back, Manitoid.

You've done the deed, but next time you could consider rice hulls instead of perlite.

Your observations about the roots of last year's crop seem to bear out the assertions of Tom Hill and others that the first 18 inches is most important, hence 18-inch aeration pots.

I'm watching and learning.

Manitoid

Glad to see you back, Manitoid.

You've done the deed, but next time you could consider rice hulls instead of perlite.

Your observations about the roots of last year's crop seem to bear out the assertions of Tom Hill and others that the first 18 inches is most important, hence 18-inch aeration pots.

I'm watching and learning.

Thanks for chiming in. I was looking for a long time this winter for the cost effective more natural alternative to Perlite. I did not stumble onto the local source for 110 cubic feet of rice hulls. haha. I definitely consider Perlite to be an "in a pot" addition, however my holes dug in hardpan are almost like pots. I will be reusing and improving years to come. I will not have to add perlite again, as i did not want to have to add it in the first place.

I am here to share the things I learn along the way with everyone and to document such findings. We are all learning at the same time with this one. Last year starting from scratch with compost piles was new to me (for weed). This year having 2nd year soil to amend is new to me.

Lets Learn Together!

Manitoid

mapinguari

Veteran
I was looking for a long time this winter for the cost effective more natural alternative to Perlite. I did not stumble onto the local source for 110 cubic feet of rice hulls. haha. I definitely consider Perlite to be an "in a pot" addition, however my holes dug in hardpan are almost like pots. I will be reusing and improving years to come. I will not have to add perlite again, as i did not want to have to add it in the first place.

Yeah, I guess they don't grow as much rice in CO as they do here in the North Valley.

I am here to share the things I learn along the way with everyone and to document such findings. We are all learning at the same time with this one. Last year starting from scratch with compost piles was new to me (for weed). This year having 2nd year soil to amend is new to me.

Lets Learn Together!

Manitoid

Amen to that!

Hallelujah the sun shineth in Cali!

Manitoid

Greenhouse in the spring...

Greenhouse in the spring...

holes have been reshaped, amended, turned, watered, innoculated, and kept wet.

As a test of our hole composition, we have planted a spring crop to watch. We have a big 175,000 BTU heater as emergency backup from certain death freeze. To run it is to literally burn money!

However that is not our style at the Gardening with ALMOST free supplies grow. So our low cost low tech method has kept many plants above 45 at night for quite some time with NO PROPANE BURNT. It is turned to off to save for in the event of snowstorm.

We built a very make shift greenhouse inside the greenhouse. since it is only 3 feet high for now, the volume is pretty low. It is heated with only one 1500W space heater and 2 box fans for keeping temp evener under tent.

During the day the box fans are turned into intake / exhaust fans. They are turned from low to high for this purpose.

It is a lot more work than burning money. Some days it needs pulled off and put back on at proper moments. It is surely spring gardening on the cheap though! Overnight lows outside are 22-25 F. The power of double greenhouse effect is real... and real cheap.

Thanks for tuning in!

EDIT: We ended up abandoning the spring greenhouse idea for a few reasons. with a greenhouse inside a greenhouse, the humidity was too high. To burn the propane heater was to light money on fire! Since it was only 1/6 of the greenhouse, was not cost effective. If we had a 3000 sq ft spring crop going, it would be worth burning propane. Pictures from this post got lost in a clean up.

plant root temps being too low led to slow growth speeds. switched it up to indoor for test cuts, and am saving the propane for november and the sativas.

Last edited:

haxi

Wish you a great grow this year :)

The Green Crack is totaly amazing. Damn I heard so much about it! It's clone only a'ight?

Anyway happy growing!!

Peace :rasta:

shroomyshroom

Doing what we do because we are who we are
Veteran
Wishing you nothing but good karma brother :) you blew me away last year hoping you can do it again :)

Manitoid

Howdy Folks, have you ever seen a leaf...

Howdy Folks, have you ever seen a leaf...

I have a plant from seed from last years outdoor. It is a female.

It shows a weird genetic trait of throwing leaflets 12 and 13 in the same direction as leaflet 1 on top of original 11 leaflet fan.

picture.php

When the leaves are counted or numbered from top side smallest around like 11, 8, 6, 4, 2, 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 10, 12, 13 it seems it is starting to spiral a 2nd time around?

Sorry if the photo seems red. Ill figure out better lighting...

feenom

Cheers homie!!

I won't touch rice hulls.... a friend used them and they attracted a bunch of termites!