What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

% moisture of cured product

W

whiterasta

I am curious what most of you consider an appropriate amount of residual moisture? I like mine more tword 10% and still pliable more than closer to 5% and have crumblies. Just curious if anyone else does a % on their moisture at full cure and what they find to be their "sweet spot".
WR:tiphat:

simon

Weedomus Maximus
Veteran
I am curious what most of you consider an appropriate amount of residual moisture? I like mine more tword 10% and still pliable more than closer to 5% and have crumblies. Just curious if anyone else does a % on their moisture at full cure and what they find to be their "sweet spot".

I don't think I understand. How is residual moisture defined and measured?

Simon

W

whiterasta

I have always used %/weight, ie; a 10g bud would range from .5g(5%) to1g (10%) residual H2O. I like it around 6-8% but am curious about what others find they like. Although I have seen plenty of folks sell @ 10% I think it is too moist and 5% is too dry and actually a ripoff for both grower( short weight) and customer (crumbly, dry product that burns too quickly)
How many of ya'll check moisture and what range do you like?
Here is the formula

X= weight of sample
Y= weight of sample after 2hr in <200f oven
Z=percent moisture by weight
Y/X= Z

Calculating yeild from wet weight
X=wet weight
Y=dry weight( as above)
Z= moisture by weight
y= final weight with residual moisture
x=residual moisture % as decimal
K = constant by strain, and consistency of grow

Y/x=y

X-y= weight of evaporated H2O

y/X =K
X x K= y

Last edited:

joe fresh

Mentor
Veteran
a tool that my hydro shop has for sale to measure moiture in the weed is a device with 2 golden steele prongs at the tip and you stab your weed with it and it tells you the moisture, ive used one before that i had borrowed from my uncle, he uses it to measure the moisture in the wood he cuts(he sells firewood), i always heard that anywhere between 10-15% is good, i like mine at 11-12%, just perfect

bigPic2.asp

heres a link to what im talking bout and where you can buy one http://www.forestry-suppliers.com/drilldown_pages/view_category.asp?cat=119

SupraSPL

If you are using the harvested weight to figure the % moisture, seems like that would vary depending on how dry it is before you chop it down.

So wouldn't the humidity in the jar be a better way to gauge when it is at the perfect moisture (as in Simon's thread).

Crumbly bud can be re-hydrated easily by adding moist air into the jar and giving it time to stabilize. That has worked wonders for me.

K

kannubis

They have a cigar moisture gauge with a single prong you stab in to test the moisture content at Cigars International and also at their auction site Cigar Bid.