What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

HumboldtLocals Outdoor 2010

nomaad

Veteran
Nice, HL. Between you and the rest of these guys, I have been shamed into adding 12x300 gal smarties to my grow this year... what is your spacing?

H

humboldtlocal

Nice, HL. Between you and the rest of these guys, I have been shamed into adding 12x300 gal smarties to my grow this year... what is your spacing?

Sorry for being a bad influence.:) My spacing is a bit close. 10-12 feet on centers. Hopefully they will outgrow that. I am hoping it will look like one big plant from the air.:)

nomaad

Veteran
well... i guess it will depend a lot on strains. Blue Dream or Pineapple Cough (just got a detailed run-down from the source) would be battling each other for light in a 300 at 12 feet. 10 for sure. My Blue dream and Clueberry from last year juuuuust barely touched each other... and I had no idea what I was doing. This year, the 10 foot spacing on the 200's is going to be maxxed for sure. If you are going for a one plant from-the-air look, you will get it...but they will also say "Holy shit... that is the biggest plant I have ever seen!!!"

On that note, my attorney told me that if they fly/hover lower than what is considered "public airspace" they can't touch you (in court). I am thinking about making a big-enough sign for my pump-house roof that reads: "IF YOU CAN READ THIS, YOU HAVE VIOLATED MY RIGHT TO PRIVACY. FUCK OFF AND DIE." They might come in too close just to read it.

I am going to try and get 15 foot spacing on my 12 300's. I still have to carve that garden out of some woods and put a fence around it. I am planning for a May 20th planting in that garden as there will be no supplemental lighting.

H

humboldtlocal

My soil mix is as follows.
Sunshine Natural and Organic #4
Nutri Rich high calcium chicken poop
Super Soil Earth Worm Castings
Pahroc Perlite #4
Steamed Bone meal
Kelp
Oyster Shell
Dolomite Lime
Gypsum
Pretty similar to Tom Hills but I go about half strength on the bone meal and a little less on the chicken.

PuReKnOwLeDgE

Licensed Grower
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Oh boy glad i caught this! Good luck this season Humboldt, hope the rains give you boys in the west a better season this year. I am jealous of your outdoor playground, gimme a year or two and I am joining you! Looking good man!

H

humboldtlocal

Thanks PK. I still love that spin-pro demo video you did. I have showed it to several people.

PuReKnOwLeDgE

Licensed Grower
ICMag Donor
Veteran
haha right on humboldt, I am still in love with the spinpro! Last night before I found this thread though I was looking at the twister.....I don't have nearly enought to justify it now but....

"Oh yes it will be mine, oh yes!"

Guyute54

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Nice gardens can't wait to see em fill in over time. You know with you all using so much dirt and mixing tons of it per year why dosen't someone buy a cement truck would save a hell of alot of work for folks I'm sure gardeners would be more than happy to pay someone a fair price for that service. Tell em what kind of mix they want the mix it haul it to where is needed and if gardens are accesable could just fill the pots, holes, beds right up.

H

humboldtlocal

Some more pics from today.
OG and Mr Nice clones. A lot of these will be getting moved into the Green house in the next couple days under supplemental lighting.
IMG00005-20100424-1725.jpg

This garden has 25 200 gallon smart pots. I went with 200 vs 300 because this garden doesn't get the best sun. I am already regretting it. The greenhouse has 15 holes in it.

IMG00006-20100424-1727.jpg

Everything coming together nicely.:)

nomaad

Veteran
planty, are u also putting straw on your pots as mulch? I am thinking about using alfalfa.

H

humboldtlocal

I have been going back and forth about the straw. Don't you think the weed mat will break down faster with straw on it? I used a different brand of weed mat before and it broke down pretty quick when I was mulching it. Straw looks great but I am not sure of the added benefits other than hiding the mat. I have also had problems with creating rodent habitat with all that straw. These plants will be elevated off the ground by the smart pots so I am not as worried about the mice. I would maybe mulch the pots to conserve water but I am not sure about the mat. What are everyones thoughts on that?
As far as bad sun, this garden loses the sun on one end around 5 right now but a little earlier in the fall. It is probably getting eight hours right now but gets only around six in the fall. I know that is still a lot but my other spots get a lot more.

nomaad

Veteran
My homegirl had mice gnawing in her stems in smarties that were mulched with straw. I am torn.. I am thinking of using alfalfa if anything because its an added source of triacontinol... but I dunno... I am probably going to skip it.

localhero

alfalfa or any feed hay would probably only attract mice even more. get straw is what im thinking. I dont know the virtues of oat straw vs. wheat straw though. anyone?