What's new

(A Know How) to harvest...please dedicate your know how to help the others..

big ballin 88

Biology over Chemistry
Veteran
I've seen a lot of threads recently all referring to when to harvest or what to look for when approaching harvest. I think we should all compile pictures from the various ending stages of the plants to help give a comparision of when or when not to harvest.

Hopefully we can get enough pictures to make a sticky. These are from a member at grasscity named jcj77d.

Any close-ups of plants or other individual traits that insure a plant is getting close to its time of harvest would be greatly appreciated since this is for new growers who still don't quite understand. You never know when you may learn something new..

White Hairs

Usually pistils go through a change of white to amber much like trichomes do when they get ready for harvest. However there are many flowers on a MJ plant that mature at different stages. So while some pistils may be amber another 75 percent is white. This is a sign of new flowers still be used to try and capture pollen which is why they look like their stretching.
It is hard to tell maturity by the color of the pistils unless you are truly close to the end of the harvest. This is due to the flowers stacking and swelling later in harvest. The easiest way to tell with pistils is when they have seem to be eaten up by a swollen calyx. Usually at this stage the pistils aren't stretching as much as they were when they white and may appear to have curled due to the bud swelling up around it.

Plant changing colors

I know this doesn't really give a definitvie answer on when a plant is gona finish but it defneitly helps show when the plant has reached its last stretch. As a plant grows you will notice that older fan leaves will usually yellow and fall off as a plant matures. This is natural because it is sending its nitrogen elsewhere and has started to take the stored starches and other valuable materials and use it for more important things than to supply an non-efficient area.
When a plant reaches its end in flower the same thing happens except to the whole plant. Most people will say this is from a flush but it happens to my organic plants which still recieved nutes. A plant will use the stored starches which are actually sugars and use them to help produce in flower production and take away energy from the rest of the plant. This is the plants last resort to create offspring.

I know this information isn't anything new but i just want to make something out there so people don't have to keep asking the same question. Instead they can receive a definitive answer

MrBomDiggitty

Veteran
they start drinking less towards the end. does anyone know if they slow down the drinking a week or two weeks before? A couple of days before? what?

Lazyman

Overkill is under-rated.
Veteran
They don't drink less, but they should be watered less, colder temps, and flushing all at the same time. Adds frost and purpling, if genetically inclined.

The only way to tell when plants are done is with a pocket scope and look at the trichomes. Amber = ready to harvest, if you don't have mostly amber trichomes the plant isn't ready yet.

GrnMtnGrwr

Veteran
Hairs have nothing to do with ripeness. Go by trichomes.

I wouldn't wait for mostly amber trichomes unless you want to be put to sleep. Harvest sometime between the time you start to see amber trichomes (heady high) and when you see 50%+ amber (stony high).

big ballin 88

Biology over Chemistry
Veteran
Hairs have nothing to do with ripeness. Go by trichomes.

I wouldn't wait for mostly amber trichomes unless you want to be put to sleep. Harvest sometime between the time you start to see amber trichomes (heady high) and when you see 50%+ amber (stony high).

I agree that the pistils aren't a sure sign of when to harvest but they can help people who don't yet have a microscope.
I am one of the people who likes more of a body stone due to the way it deals with pain and would prefer mostly amber. however others will feel different, but i do recommend harvesting at about 50/50 amber/cloudy for a nice mix. Also some sativas take very long to change form cloudy to amber and most wouldn't take a sativa that far due to the confusing rushy high.

I actually think plants drink more in the ending days. I've had one plant that usually got watered every 3 days during flower. Now its finishing a cup of water in a day.

I do agree that colder temps and flushing will help bring out purpling on certain strains as this just happened to my bubblegum. It hadn't purpled until the last couple of days of serious flush, but the plant was watered more heavily than usual.

This is a difference of 3.5 weeks. You can tell that is starting to get close by the swollen buds, yet the pistils are still long. Under a microscope its 75% cloudy, but i'm just letting it run its course.
However it really hasn't started to stack the flower which you will see in the coming days. One thing i noticied on my plants is when they arrive close to harvest that the tip of the bud seems to stretch with flowers.

Latest posts

Latest posts