What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Just a few well-designed ads - Good for Everybody

St. Phatty

I have to say, this is one of the few, or maybe the only, website I go on that hasn't been completely fvcking over-run with ads.

Also, many of the people that do web design have diverse backgrounds that includes fine arts, interface design, a whole bunch of stuff.

Then those other majority websites violate all rules of design by jamming ads in our faces.

Imagine trying to get work done and there are 10 or 20 people around you, each with an iPad, jamming it in the middle and around the edges of your field of vision ... while you just try to read something.

Remember when reading was ... just reading ?

ICMag comes so much closer to keeping the cardinal rules of design, happy.

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
The site would loose something if it ever became totally cluttered with adds and pop-ups - and that won't happen while I'm around -

....anyway as BadTicket said - you can always get one of these add-blocking apps - if you don't want to watch any advertizing - a banner or two on a page never really bothered me.

I have to say, this is one of the few, or maybe the only, website I go on that hasn't been completely fvcking over-run with ads.

Also, many of the people that do web design have diverse backgrounds that includes fine arts, interface design, a whole bunch of stuff.

Then those other majority websites violate all rules of design by jamming ads in our faces.

Imagine trying to get work done and there are 10 or 20 people around you, each with an iPad, jamming it in the middle and around the edges of your field of vision ... while you just try to read something.

Remember when reading was ... just reading ?

ICMag comes so much closer to keeping the cardinal rules of design, happy.

St. Phatty

The site would loose something if it ever became totally cluttered with adds and pop-ups - and that won't happen while I'm around -

....anyway as BadTicket said - you can always get one of these add-blocking apps - if you don't want to watch any advertizing - a banner or two on a page never really bothered me.

I have ad-blockers. I'm not sure if they work.

http://www.tomshardware.com/

I think one of the best examples of a web site destroyed by ads is Tom's Hardware.

Tom Pabst started it while he was a med student in Germany.

The peak was probably a Goliath motherboard review they did when the Pentium 4 was the fastest Pentium. That article was a work of art.

Then Tom sold it for $26 Million.

It was cluttered beyond belief. Now they have backed off and use ad-pushers similar to what a lot of other websites use.

I still am in the habit of looking at it every day - occasionally they have a decent article.

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
Yes....I see what you mean Phatty - that hardware site keeps throwing pop-ups at me for permissions - most aggravating.

Skip

Veteran
Do you remember the website that was nothing but ads?
They charged for a tiny square on their homepage.
I think they had at least a thousand ads on it at one point...

We haven't opened any new ad slots on ICMag in many years, and have no intention to do that, despite there being demand for it in certain forums.

I find that when there's an entire column of mostly ads on a site, I just ignore them.

Unlike other websites, we target ads to individual forums (when available), so that the advertiser and user get to see relevant ads, WITHOUT using YOUR USER DATA to tailor the ad as do most big online advertisers.

Apparently other websites don't have the expert know-how on their staff to customize their software as we have done. The downside to that, is that it's become nearly impossible for us to upgrade the site thanks to all the customizations done over the years to ICmag. But as this thread points out, that's not necessarily a bad thing!

Old school RULES! :)