What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

any other turkey hunters on here?

Wendull C.

Veteran
There are so many turkeys in my neck of the woods it's increased the coyote population dramatically. I can easily count 25-50 daily while driving around my place. Without trying. I'm saving them in case we have an apocalypse. lol.

Shoot those damn coyotes and save some deer fawns. Last one i shot was chasing a full grown doe at my favorite spring.

Mtn. Nectar

Veteran
for sure tough hunting those chukars......kinda like the vly quail around here......once shot at they very spooky and always looking for the back door.....best with two hunters......

for myself mountain quail are best eating birds I've hunted.......sweet white meat that can't be best........

gobble on........

Wendull C.

Veteran
Yeah, two or more since we dont have dogs. Those guys who have good pointers always make me envious.

I agree mountain quail are very fine eating. Around where im at ten years ago we had lots of mountain quail. Valley too down lower, with chuckar hard to find. Now outside of one failsafe we cant find a quail to save our lives, and there are chuckar every where. Even down low in the houses.

Green Squall

Shoot those damn coyotes and save some deer fawns. Last one i shot was chasing a full grown doe at my favorite spring.

Coyotes actually help with the out of control deer population. Lots of deer, plus a shrinking ecosystem, means they are ravaging the undergrowth in the forest. Basically, there's not enough food for the large population, at least that's the case here in Massachusetts.

There's so many deer here that a local NATURE SANCTUARY held a limited hunt to cull their numbers. People were fucking confused lol.

Mtn. Nectar

Veteran
ran eng. pointers for yrs...tails bloody ..never quit sum bitches....vly quail everywhere here......counted 37 bird covey here on acreage yesterday.......they thrash up my garden every summer when water/food scarce......

son and I limiting out on local ranch.......

Last edited:

Nico Farmer

SsNice stories guys!
I leave in Europe, and when I was young, my father, a bow hunter, was going to hunt in Arizona during 6 summers (1989-1995).
0ne time, he had a turkey; he even had a graduate awarded for the farthest shot of the year I think...

Big up

Wendull C.

Veteran
Coyotes actually help with the out of control deer population. Lots of deer, plus a shrinking ecosystem, means they are ravaging the undergrowth in the forest. Basically, there's not enough food for the large population, at least that's the case here in Massachusetts.

There's so many deer here that a local NATURE SANCTUARY held a limited hunt to cull their numbers. People were fucking confused lol.

You are talking whitetails in populated areas. I am talking mule deer in desert ecosystems.

We also have mountain lions. No where can I think of one muley or blacktail herd that is exceeding it's range. Maybe moffat county Colorado, but last years winter decimated muleys across that buck paradise.

Wendull C.

Veteran
ran eng. pointers for yrs...tails bloody ..never quit sum bitches....vly quail everywhere here......counted 37 bird covey here on acreage yesterday.......they thrash up my garden every summer when water/food scarce......

son and I limiting out on local ranch.......

I like this guy! Nice pictures. Yourself and your son seem to have a nice freezer full. You mind if I ask if it is oak blue grass habitat and do you buck hunt there?

Mtn. Nectar

Veteran
yea we do enjoy WC........lotsa blue oaks here in foothills....but many varieties of oaks....

deer herds have dwindled over the yr's.......but yes do......lotsa pigs here....used to raise few diff varieties of and stock local ranches before DFG frowned upon..hound hunted for many yrs as well......bear, long/short tail cats, fox......but birds always been my go to.....bite fer bite..best eating....

Bud Green

I dig dirt
Veteran
We have turkeys all around where I live, but not enough of them..

So leave your shotguns home, but if you want white tail does, grab your rifle and come out to my place..

I'll let you shoot all the does you want around my house and acreage....especially in my veggie garden in June...

Capt.Ahab

Feeding the ducks with a bun.
Veteran
420giveaway
Unlimited doe tags here. We are overrun with deer, up to 45 per square mile. Shoot as many as you want and tags are available over the counter for only $5.10 each. That includes bucks with antlers less than three inches too.

JustSumTomatoes

Indicas make dreams happen
I've always wanted to go hunting. I've taken the hunters education course in my state and had a license before but never have been out. I find turkey hunting particularly fascinating and would love to do it some day. I'm a fishing fanatic so I'll have to make my way onto land at some point.

Wendull C.

Veteran
Just go, read a book if you want and go. My dad died when i was young. No one in my family hunted. I got a drivers license and an old van and never looked back. In fact im surprised im still alive from some of the shit i did being young and knowing your invincible, right?

While your'e out there you will meet people to teach you things.

Hell i met two guys in the desert this year that couldnt find a deer to save their lives. Put them on a couple nice bucks i had scouted but passed on them for the grand daddy. Long story short, now i have two camps there every year that have a bunk with my name on it.

The big one gave me the slip 3 times, even when i had em dead to rights. He will be in his hidey hole come next september though.

shithawk420

Veteran
Just so happens Walter Payton owned some land a few miles from me.I don't know if he hunted Turkey but there's turkey there now.big suckers too.I'm sure I could snag a couple if I wanted to.lol

stoned40yrs

Ripped since 1965
Veteran
Got any hints on the best trophy dall units? Preferably the less subscribed ones lol.

Unit 26, the Brooks Range. I lived there in a eskimo village in the 70s and 80s. I got a full curl or better every fall. Great meat. I never went real high up the mountains. I liked to catch them when they were lower. Sunning themselves on the side of the mountain or when they went lower for water or mineral licks. I see dall all the time where I live right now in southcentral alaska. 10 miles up the valley toward the glacier has a bunch of herds there. Permit drawing for these dall. No roads just atv trails up there. I've been up there a thousand times and only remember twice when I didn't see dalls either on the side of the mountains or down in the valley at the water and mineral licks. This fall I'll be hunting Grizz, caribou and moose in the Talkeetna mountains near Eureka. Can't wait:biggrin:

armedoldhippy

Veteran
Unlimited doe tags here. We are overrun with deer, up to 45 per square mile. Shoot as many as you want and tags are available over the counter for only $5.10 each. That includes bucks with antlers less than three inches too.

we had deer out the wazoo around here until a couple of years back. we had drought three summers running & "blue tongue" disease killed a hell of a lot of them. (epizootic hemorrhagiac disease, sp?) it mainly strikes bigger older deer, and is worse during droughts when deer concentrate around water sources & the disease is spread by the bite of a tiny midge fly...

Latest posts

Latest posts