What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

ever been stabbed by a RAY?????

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
well after around 40 years of catching rays..it finally happened ,,a big dinner plate sized body one got me in my wrist in the fleshy soft part of my wrist...it was in a mess of seaweed and got me as I was untangling/unhooking it......all I can say is I am glad it was a small one that finally got me not one of the huge ones I get....I plan on eating the next one to get even...lol.....6 hours of horrible pain worse than my 2 cracked ribs easily....hot water soaks and booze,, painkillers.... I get steve irwinned....people had told me about it and showed me scars ...their description didn't do the pain justice...them stingers have barbs and some kind of shit like a bee sting on steroids......yeehaw..........

Betterhaff

Veteran
My cousin stepped on one and got spiked in the foot. He was in agony for a day or so. He also got a wicked infection. Make sure you keep an eye on it and use some antibiotic ointments.

Vash

Ol' Skool
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Goddamn.....I'll just cut the line at the hook. Fuck it.:noway:
Thanks for the 4-1-1.

Babbabud

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
stepped on one between the seal beach jetties way back when the powerplant was right there in town and water was super warm ... got a bad infection and drug my foot around like a watermelon for a cpl weeks. good luck

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
ya ...I got longer fishing pliers now and a gaff and new net....I hope I don't get infection either....most pain I have felt in a long time...made me forget all about my cracked ribs...yeehaw....next one gets bopped on the head and cooked...I have never eaten one but have been told by friends they are good..even made to look like scallops with a cookie cutter and sold to idiots who don't know better in some shady restraunts....the fish won that round...next time its my turn

Capt.Ahab

Feeding the ducks with a bun.
Veteran
Soak the wound in water as hot as you can stand it.
Make sure no barbs are in there.
Smoke lots of weed and take a Tylenol or two.
Watch for signs of infection.

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
thanks all..the hot water made it a lot more bearable less painfull......so far my return to ocean fishing aint been so good...cracked 2 ribs falling on jetty,stabbed by baby ray...ooh this is gonna be a fun season...the warm water is making all kinds of fish/sharks more easily available closer to shore....some records set this year here in san diego...yeehaw

Crusader Rabbit

Veteran
ya ...I got longer fishing pliers now and a gaff and new net....

Harbor Freight used to sell really long hemostats. Don't know if they still carry them, but they were awesome.

edit; Also, check out their long needlenose. Actually, Home Depot was carrying super long pliers with a double hinge action, that handle especially well.

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
healed fine..itches a bit now and then ..no infection....gonna eat one soon and keep the stabby part as a necklace lol...yeehaw

rod58

been stabbed twice in the back of my hand , once was from a cobbler but they all hurt the same ..stinking hot water on it is the best ...hot as you can stand ! went to the hospital first time and they gave me this advice and sent me home ,...gotta just wait it out ..hurts like feck ...lol.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
tromped on one body surfing years ago, split the bottom of my foot open when it took off. screw that, i no longer body surf...

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
been catching shitload of rays the last month...getting tired of them stabby bitches...the new long pliers,gaff and net work great...yeehaw

944s2

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hey stoned,,,glad to hear your ok mate ,,,
I think it was a ray that killed steve Irwin. The croc man,,,only jellyfish that give you a nasty sting in the uk, S2

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
it was a bat ray I think that got me and it has barbs on its stabby part and some kind of toxin that hurts like hell....the ray that got him was way bigger like I usually catch off the jetty here....we got jelly fish here too...they aint shit compared..even the Portuguese man of war doesn't hurt as bad as that ray did..yeehaw..don't pee on me man...lol

944s2

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Lol,lol,,yeah I remember some Nicole Kidman film where she pisses on the young dude who had been stung!,,,,s2