What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

does anyone NOT do catch and release anymore?

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
the next halibut/corvina I get I am eatin....this week is all bout getting bait for next week..the anchovies and sardines are everywhere...yeehaw...no sand crabs this year barely.. this weird weather pattern is whack ,,,yellowtail off the surf this year/hammerheads hangin out all kinds odd strange stuff inshore..weird

Being an avid fisherman and hunter I thought I'd throw in my2 pennies. As most here have already said C&R is one of the best conservation and game management tools we have. Being from the southern Appalachian region originally it does make me sad to see ppl who just don't know or worse don't care, take the local wild brookies, I even keep the stocked ones but, never the wild ones. they are almost extinct in that area because of the way they got there when they're gone they'll be gone forever or at least until the next ice age. Brook trout are not truly trout at all, but a species of char normally found in the sub-arctic, and arctic regions. In fact the fly-fishing community works quite hard to keep the streams where they do still flourish secret. We fish them take photos and release them unharmed. Other than that I take what I need and release the rest. My trophies are photographs on my wall. And yes selective harvest on game animals is the same let the young small ones walk till grandaddy 12 point comes along then pull the trigger.

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
lost a huge halibut yesterday ... it took a bunch of 25 lb line then bit it off ..double hooked anchovie...I will be making a big order from cabelas ...extra heavy florocarbon line ,some wire ,sleeves and crimper and a bunch of hooks for making double hook rigs....it was huge fish.....some of them are line shy so wire leaders wont always work ..thinking somewhere about 40 lb line or so...yeehaw....I definitely wont release a keeper halibut have you seen how much they cost now in the store??????

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
I kept only one ...the rest were released....native trout in the sequoia forest area....yeehaw..if I plan on releasing em I try not to even touch them ..I use my big hemostats and remove hook with fish still in water when possible....small native brook trout are my favorite..the places they live tend to be remote and beautifull...maine had a bunch of spots ....I have spent thousands of hours hiking and wading remote streams for natives...

B

bigganjabud

I'm in the UK we catch and release fish

Last thing I caught and kept is my Mrs

dickcorn

I think it should be species dependent. Some species are taking over bodies of water so much it probably be better to kill them and throw in the garden. Others you can fish a lifetime to maybe catch one. So I guess I can go both ways on this one. Which reminds me I need to get my diddy poles out and get some flats for the freezer before winter gets here.

Wendull C.

Veteran
Every Blue fin we caught on slow trolled live bait had a stomach full of sand crab. My bro, I mean the captain's son at 12' years old wanted to know what they were eating . After we filleted each one(more like taking a backstrap out) he checked their stomachs like I do to find chucker. Smart boy.

Last edited:

Kozmo

Veteran
lost a huge halibut yesterday ... it took a bunch of 25 lb line then bit it off ..double hooked anchovie...I will be making a big order from cabelas ...extra heavy florocarbon line ,some wire ,sleeves and crimper and a bunch of hooks for making double hook rigs....it was huge fish.....some of them are line shy so wire leaders wont always work ..thinking somewhere about 40 lb line or so...yeehaw....I definitely wont release a keeper halibut have you seen how much they cost now in the store??????

Yeah, I believe they are getting more popular in restraunts in the lower 48. Also the tourism industry is depleting them in places like Homer because they'll take out mass amounts of people in a huge boat.

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
we have a California halibut that don't get as big as Alaska ones do ....22 inches and up to keep one...lots of undersized ones ..but I know a spot ...grew up eating flounder/fluke and sole which is similar but even smaller....theres a short list of fish I will keep if legal size but I like fresh fish so I don't keep more than I can eat or drop off at friends house for them to enjoy....frozen fish is lame....yeehaw....tomorrow I start ordering some more gear and getting some halibut ,yellowtail and hopefully hook a hammerhead for fun ...they don't taste that good to me ..I ate one once when I lived in the florida keys...white sea bass,yellowtail,corvina,halibut are the main fish I eat here along with an occasional bonito as long as I can bleed it quick and get it on ice fast...otherwise its dogfood...theres a few other species I eat like a couple times a year....I release way more than I keep that's for sure....I see some people keeping everything even undersized illegal fish .. and calling to report them to fish and game/wildlife is useless....my friend did once and it took 4 days and they called him back...I am more of the type to say something directly to assholes that break fish and game laws..i obey all hunting and fishing laws..

J man

Caught this one and kept him. I think for now on I will release the little guys.

Mangrove Snapper caught in the canals.
20150809_194113_zpsjwayqgc6.jpg

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
I had a year long on going battle with a huge mangrove snapper..when I lived in the florida keys out back was a canal dead ending into some mangroves..where a huge mangrove snapper lived...he wouldn't hit anything with too big hook or line and he wouldn't come out far from the roots and live bait only..when you hooked him he would dash back wrap your line and break off...I was down to like 6 lb fluorocarbon and tiny hooks...I never did get that guy and if I had ever reeled him in I would of released him...my old lady used to complain sayin you spend more time trying to catch that fish than with me...yeehaw..in florida I learned about fluorocarbon line and its almost all I use now....highly recommend it

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
I stopped fishing once I tried to imagine how it feels to be the fish

prob not as bad as commercially raised stock animals.....atleast their free till I catch em and bop em on the head and toss in cooler...yeehaw...they did a study once saying rainbow trout do indeed feel pain...I try and make it as fast and humane as possible ...when I was younger I didn't care as much and would just toss smaller ones right in cooler ..only clubbed bigger dangerous stuff...as I get older I respect all life even more..but I could never be a vegitarian...wild caught is better than commercially raised in every aspect...I try and use circle hooks when possible so as to make hook catch corner of mouth and release easier.... usually don't even have to take fish out of water ..long fishing hook remover ...less harm to fish...supposed there isn't much nerves in the mouth corner so its like a tug of war for the fish without much pain...either way I aint ever going to be a vegitarian

J man

I had a year long on going battle with a huge mangrove snapper..when I lived in the florida keys out back was a canal dead ending into some mangroves..where a huge mangrove snapper lived...he wouldn't hit anything with too big hook or line and he wouldn't come out far from the roots and live bait only..when you hooked him he would dash back wrap your line and break off...I was down to like 6 lb fluorocarbon and tiny hooks...I never did get that guy and if I had ever reeled him in I would of released him...my old lady used to complain sayin you spend more time trying to catch that fish than with me...yeehaw..in florida I learned about fluorocarbon line and its almost all I use now....highly recommend it

I use about 20 lb flurocarbon leader. The canals here look kinda nasty. Not the smell but all the trash at the bottom. They also experience a lot of run off. Today the tide is really high.

I have some shrimp in the freezer. Its been weeks since I threw a line in the water.

I have yet to fly fish in Florida.

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
local halibut about 25$ a lb ,,fresh Alaskan 34$ lb....just checked local point loma seafood prices...I wont be releasing any halibut.....got my order in for,another new reel, heavier gear,line,wire,hooks ,swivels and a new gaff........yeehaw ...mmmmmmm halibut,,i got a medium setup, larger setup and a boat rod setup....I don't give a damn about how they feel...I do know how they taste...

theJointedOne

Veteran
Hey its all good. I actually used to be a fly fisherman before I stopped eating flesh. My mom, who's a professional guide, and I would go on some epic trips, Montana being my favorite.

Even caught a 26lb salmon off the coast of ft Bragg when I was a teenager. Was exciting and fun!

My favorite to eat was fresh albacore cooked over open flame.

Point is I totally get where your coming from, fishing is a meditation of sorts IMHO, and a great past time.

Thanks for being humane about it all.

Cheers