What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Portable Dabs

KONY

Veteran
I am sure the originals are much higher quality as well, or they wouldn't fetch a higher price. I wouldn't waste the money on an original mod, but I wouldn't hesitate to buy an original USA made RDA.

Which RDA are actually USA made?

Weyenot

Thank you for your input flatslabs, i understand what you mean and as usual I'm over complicating things.
I'm going to go with the ehpro nemesis/ tobh rda and ill probably go ahead and set it up with a couple stovetop ceramic coils for starters.

Since I like to experiment ill probably get a veritas at some point to play around with and ill post if there's anything of interest. I thought an oblong shaped ceramic wick/coil setup placed at the bottom of each of the sides of the V would make an effective setup but I might be mistaken as I've still got a lot to learn.

flatslabs

Which RDA are actually USA made?

Well, an authentic Patriot is... clever name huh.

They are made by a company called InnoVape and I don't know the rules on posting links here so I am sure you can find it. They have a list of authorized resellers on their website.

I see they even have a new v2 of the Patriot (I have the v1.2 I believe)
Patriot RDA by Innovape Mods v2
Patriot 2 AFC Atomizer Manufactured, Designed, Engineered In The USA

All The Great Specs From The Original But Now
Delrin Drip Tip Port Insulator
Upgraded Peek Bottom Insulator Made To Withstand Twice The Heat
Includes 2 AFC Nickle Plated Rings
24K Gold Plated Center Post
Removable Top Cap
3 Piece Design

I mentioned before, but be careful with the 1:1 clones. I am almost certain mine is a clone due to the price I paid, but I still have the "Made in USA" etchings on the bottom.

Just like my Ehpro Nemesis Mod Clone, even though it came in a box that says EhPro on it, Since it is a true clone, the button on the bottom says "Made by Atomixani", the company who makes the original.

So unless you are buying from officially listed resellers I would be dubious about the authenticity of an original.

Do these vapes have that same plastic aftertaste as the "micro pens"?

I am sure hoping not!

I think that is the main goal behind trying the different ceramic wicking materials... Going for the best flavor possible, where as the stainless wicks are known to give you that gross metal taste. And the shitty silica wicks or whatever they put in the micro pens... even worse.

flatslabs

Do these vapes have that same plastic aftertaste as the "micro pens"?

Not all of the "micro pens" have that same problem, you can get real legitimate ceramic bottom coils made with quality materials, the ones you get 2 for $30 on ebay are a different story.

The only off-flavor I have had with my rig is if I fire the button too long and burn my wicks dry or when using a new coil the first 5 - 10 times before the wick gets seasoned, there is a slight metal tinge flavor which is from the stainless and why people are looking into the ceramic materials as a replacement.

Still... food grade 304 stainless steel mesh is light years ahead of Chinese silica wick and whatever other off-gassing you get from the pot metal they are using for those cheap vapes

theJointedOne

Veteran
flatlabs- Anythoughts on the Dabbler?

also is there a non layg (load as you go) way to consume oils and wax's that you would recommend? Im looking to have a way to have a gram or more in a pen at once. I was looking at the Vip1.3 from SSV, as well as some the persei with the hercules tank thing...just looking for something that uses inert safe materials, that can have a lot loaded for a whole day/week ect

any info is appreciated

flatslabs

Here we go again, I am going to sound like I am hating, but I am just trying to offer up my honest opinion.

flatlabs- Anythoughts on the Dabbler?

I have never really heard of it, I just checked it out. I love marketing speak. Here is what they say:

Specially sourced "LiPo" batteries improve
the life and reliability of lithium batteries

I am not a battery expert, but Lithium Polymer batteries are readily available at every vape shop in the world. They may be specially sourcing theirs, but everyone else just gets them at the same place as the Lithium Ion batteries.

Inconel wire remains inert at full temperature

I can't say much about the wire either, but here is some information about what they use and what I use.

Inconel -> A Nickel-Chromium alloy with good resistance to oxidation and corrosion at high temperatures. (1830°F)

Kanthal A-1 is a ferritic iron-chromium-aluminium alloy (FeCrAl alloy) for use at temperatures up to 1400°C (2550°F). The alloy is characterized by high resistivity and very good oxidation resistance.

Typical applications for Kanthal A-1 are electrical heating elements in high-temperature furnaces for heat treatment, ceramics, glass, steel, and electronics industries.

High quality wick does not burn when run dry

I would hope not, but they don't list what it is. From the video on their site it just looks like the same silica wick that everyone else uses, but maybe it is ceramic. I would think they would be advertising that fact though if it was.

Edit: I looked at the parts shop and it just lists the wick as "Glass Fiber". I sure as hell hope its not fiberglass! I assume its Silica. Here is what happens when you burn silica and look at it under a microscope: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWO5n3M335k

Microprocessor control maintains the perfect
temperature for taste and long heater life

Well again marketing speak. This is the case for any 510 style battery. They all regulate the voltage and wattage when you push the button. The stuff we use is the exact opposite, we dont want regulation, we want full power.

Easy to load ceramic chamber

Can't say anything there, thats what you want.

Mini USB port allows use while charging
Safety assured with battery protection circuit

As is the case with any 510 battery with passthru charging.

Whole kit including the case fits in your pocket

Can't say anything bad about that.

Each Dabbler is tested 3 times at full temperature to assure quality

Ok, so they test fire the coils. That is good because I have had tons of cheap pens arrive with dead coils.

Made with RoHS and ISO 9001 certified factories. Designed and assembled by Vape-Pen Inc. in the U.S.A

Thats great, but notice the lack of mention of where the factories are? My guess is in China! The logo was however designed in the USA and they "assemble" the vapes in the USA by screwing the battery and atomizer together.

And finally... if you want the same atomizer they are using, go on ebay and search for "skillet ceramic wax atomizer"... Looks pretty close to me.
Edit: I am not trying to steal anyones business by the way by telling you what to look for on ebay, markups exist for a reason. It costs money to run a business and any markup they have on their parts is totally justified.

also is there a non layg (load as you go) way to consume oils and wax's that you would recommend? Im looking to have a way to have a gram or more in a pen at once. I was looking at the Vip1.3 from SSV, as well as some the persei with the hercules tank thing...just looking for something that uses inert safe materials, that can have a lot loaded for a whole day/week ect

In my opinion, nothing that works well. Every pen out there tries to accomplish this with some kind of funnel design and it just doesnt work after a few puffs and then you have to bust out your dabbing tool and swizzle it up again to get a good hit. A small dabbing tool and silicone jar are your friends for on the go.

You can also check out EJMix from liquidizer, we have been doing some experiments with it for when you really need a discrete vape that lasts a long time, but the potency just isnt there.

Last edited:

flatslabs

Well, I just got the TOBH in. Haven't had time to build a coil for it as I think my ReadyWick should be here later today so I am going to wait to test that.

I will say after just doing a few test puffs, the adjustable airflow is not a selling point. I couldn't imagine using it unless it was all the way open really. There are 3 holes, having 2 open is pretty close to my drilled patriot but still a little more restrictive and these things generate such a big cloud you need all the airflow you can get.

Also got my "Nemesis Hybrid Adapters" in from 2 different ebay sellers. Neither of them fit on any of my Ehpro nemesis clones, but they do fit on my friends no-name clone. I am not sure if that means the adapters are meant to fit the more common clones and Ehpro is the most 1:1 clone and therefore the threading isnt the same or vice-versa but they sure do look cool when installed.

flatslabs

So, I have done some more research and it seems the consensus is this:

The most common clone makers are FastTech, Ehpro, Tobeco and HCigar.
Ehpro is regarded to make the highest quality clones, however they are not necessarily 1:1 clones of the original (this is true at least for the Nemesis, not sure of their other parts), which is why the adapter I bought does not fit my Ehpro tubes as the threading is a bit different.

Now, for our purposes this is really a non-issue as I would prefer to have the higher quality parts over having a true 1:1 clone because I am not trying to fool anyone into thinking its a genuine nemesis.

I really would have liked to be able to use the hybrid adapter to make the whole rig a little shorter, but after messing with my friends Nemesis clone, which is not an Ehpro (not sure of the manufacturer), I am confident I made the right choice as his is of obviously lower quality. If anyone out there can find an Ehpro Nemesis compatible Hybrid Adapter, please let me know.

mingmen

So you would recommend the Ehpro clone of the Patriot, flatslabs?
In my cursory perusal I see more love for the Tobeco Patriot clone but just wondering how I should choose.
I saw the video on the macrocoil - we would just bend it closer to the deck than Rip instructs if I have it correct. He has it kind of up in the air a bit for juice.
Getting my head around the RDA - now I have to figure out the mod part - but I feel like I am getting there.
So which clone for the patriot if you have an opinion (and I apologize if you have already spelled it out)?

I will say after just doing a few test puffs, the adjustable airflow is not a selling point. I couldn't imagine using it unless it was all the way open really. There are 3 holes, having 2 open is pretty close to my drilled patriot but still a little more restrictive and these things generate such a big cloud you need all the airflow you can get.

I plan on modifying my TOBH and removing the 2 "tabs" on the deck which should in effect give full airflow to all 3 holes at once while also allowing it to be directly towards the coils. Am I thinking of this correctly?

flatslabs

So you would recommend the Ehpro clone of the Patriot, flatslabs?
In my cursory perusal I see more love for the Tobeco Patriot clone but just wondering how I should choose.
I saw the video on the macrocoil - we would just bend it closer to the deck than Rip instructs if I have it correct. He has it kind of up in the air a bit for juice.
Getting my head around the RDA - now I have to figure out the mod part - but I feel like I am getting there.
So which clone for the patriot if you have an opinion (and I apologize if you have already spelled it out)?

I don't think Ehpro makes the patriot, they do make the TOBH though. I haven't had a chance to use it yet but I do like the looks of it. I still think the patriot might be a little easier for a first time coil builder though because of these tabs and deep well on the TOBH.

If you want a real USA made patriot, I listed the manufacturer a few posts ago and they have auth resellers on their site.

I plan on modifying my TOBH and removing the 2 "tabs" on the deck which should in effect give full airflow to all 3 holes at once while also allowing it to be directly towards the coils. Am I thinking of this correctly?

I dunno man I would just test it like it is for now and make that modification later if you want, I don't think the positioning of the air holes is necessarily going to affect it all that much, the ones on my patriot are on the side just the same when the logo is facing the front.

If you need even more airflow you could probably drill out the center hole on each side bigger.

mingmen

Haha sorry to ask again
So if I was to get a patriot clone am I still looking for an nemesis hybrid adapter? Was your previous post saying they might be a no-go for shortening the unit when dealing with clones?

mingmen

I am sure the originals are much higher quality as well, or they wouldn't fetch a higher price. I wouldn't waste the money on an original mod, but I wouldn't hesitate to buy an original USA made RDA.

Oh I think I see what you were saying now. So OK on mod clone but go for genuine Patriot.
I just got the distinction. So forget the nemesis hybrid adapter if I get a cloned nemesis?:chin:

flatslabs

Haha sorry to ask again
So if I was to get a patriot clone am I still looking for an nemesis hybrid adapter? Was your previous post saying they might be a no-go for shortening the unit when dealing with clones?

The hybrid adapter is only for aesthetics and for shortening the length of the unit. It doesnt matter if you get a clone patriot or a real one. You just cant use the hybrid adapter with an Ehpro brand Nemesis, the threads are different.

Oh I think I see what you were saying now. So OK on mod clone but go for genuine Patriot.
I just got the distinction. So forget the nemesis hybrid adapter if I get a cloned nemesis?

I say go with a genuine patriot if you want to get a made in USA part that isn't of questionable materials.

And again, you can get the hybrid adapter with a cloned nemesis, just not the clones made by Ehpro, which unfortunately are regarded as the higher quality ones.

If you get a Tobeco, HCigar or FastTech clone the hybrid adapter should work fine, but I can't vouch for the built quality of any of those.

mingmen

The hybrid adapter is only for aesthetics and for shortening the length of the unit. It doesnt matter if you get a clone patriot or a real one. You just cant use the hybrid adapter with an Ehpro brand Nemesis, the threads are different.

I say go with a genuine patriot if you want to get a made in USA part that isn't of questionable materials.

And again, you can get the hybrid adapter with a cloned nemesis, just not the clones made by Ehpro, which unfortunately are regarded as the higher quality ones.

If you get a Tobeco, HCigar or FastTech clone the hybrid adapter should work fine, but I can't vouch for the built quality of any of those.
:tiphat:

Latest posts

Latest posts