What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Hydrogen Peroxide ???

ogenko

Whatever said:
Ogenko...I don't think the H202 has anything to do with the temp thing...gotta be something else.
i cant attribute it to anything else yet
id sure like to know if anyone else has a similar experience though
the chiller was really struggling until i added the h2o2
maybe it cleaned out the insides of the radiator??
i actually had to reset the chiller from 65 to 67
and now its pinned at 67

ps. the 35% is gnarly
i got a few drops on my hands and it instantly bleached out the contacted area on my skin
use with CATION!!

Last edited:
W

Whatever

ogenko said:
i cant attribute it to anything else yet
id sure like to know if anyone else has a similar experience though
the chiller was really struggling until i added the h2o2
maybe it cleaned out the insides of the radiator??
i actually had to reset the chiller from 65 to 67
and now its pinned at 67

ps. the 35% is gnarly
i got a few drops on my hands and it instantly bleached out the contacted area on my skin
use with CATION!!
Maybe it did clean out a gunked up exchange area...very well maybe. For general slime buildup I've used Hygrozyme and seems to have worked great. Previously I would drop some straight 35% into the tray drains and bubble like crazy. Later I tried running a strong concentration of Hygrozyme through the system to clean the lines and stuff out after a cycle, rinse out THEN I dropped some straight 35% down the tray drains and hardly any bubbles. The enzymes will clean out a lot of gunk/bioslime in the system...I'm convinced of that. I had problems with excess H202 causing pumps to bind up cause of the sanitizing action when trying to use a heavy dose to clean out my hydro system after a cycle without using Hygrozyme first. While the H202 was cleaning out the inside of the pump a lot of oxygen would get liberated, I guess, and the pumps would just start spinning without moving fluid cause of all that 'air'.

Jeez...just use some cheap, disposable latex gloves for protection!

Some people are using it, and swear by it, some do not.
Got it...just like anything else...right tool for the right job I guess. H202 has certain, proven qualities/activity/benefits...no denying that.

I understand that it degrades after about 4 days which is right on schedule with resevoir changes.
Changing your res every about 4 days is a bit much. The least I would ever run without a change was 7 days and many times went 14 days. Some never formally change out their res in an entire cycle.

I never monitored but pretty sure it has virtually no effect on ppm's. pH up/down will...can't see how H2o2 would unless you're using 3% and the water they used to dilute the H202 with was high in ppm's.

Wildlifer69

If any of this Whimsical Bannter has prompted others to do a little research & development on thier own in this particular field of Horticultre ~YIPPY! :dance:

There are no sides, just the need for good sound info!!

:joint:

Oh by the way, someone asked me about using Honey instead of Molasses .
Any opinions on this? (maybe that ? needs to be a differant thread?)

Last edited:

B.C.

Non Conformist
Veteran
Whatever:

Whatever:

B.C. said:
No pissin contest, we all jus wanna learn. Stoners -are- like that sometimes ya know... We need a microscope.... BC
I thought it was civil too. I reckon I jus said it wrong. lol .....We still need a microscope tho! Take care... BC

Last edited:

GET MO

Registered Med User
Veteran
and its not B.C. either, according to them fools these days its B.C.E. !!!! Before Common Era... kinda fucked up!!
I dont buy it but whatever... fuck that its still B.C. to me.

W

Whatever

LOL...you didn't say it wrong really. Most threads just seem to decay into useless jibber jabber...like this I guess :muahaha:

You gonna buy that microscope?

Oh by the way, someone asked me about using Honey instead of Molasses .
Simple sugars for bacteria but I don't think the source is too important. Molasses would be better from what I understand cause it's loaded with other goodies than just simple sugar like honey. I'd rather go with something like Sucanat, raw organic whole sugar cane, juice than honey. You can also use grape juice, at least in teas, as opposed to molasses.

What's in Honey?
Honey is a supersaturated sugar solution with approximately 17.1 percent water. Fructose is the predominant sugar at 38.5 percent, followed by glucose at 31 percent. Disac- charides, trisac -charides and oligosaccharides are present in much smaller quantities. Besides carbohydrates, honey contains small amounts of protein, enzymes, vitamins and minerals. Honey is known to be rich in both enzymatic and non-enzymatic antioxidants, including catalase, ascorbic acid, flavonoids and alkaloids. Although appearing only in trace amounts honey also contains about 18 different amino acids. Crane, E. 1976. "Honey: A Comprehensive Survey," Corrected edition. International Bee Research Association/Heinemann, London; Berenbaum, M., Robinson, G. and Unnevehr, L. 1995-1996. Antioxidant properties of Illinois honeys. University of Illinois.

What came to mind are the possible antimicrobial properties of honey. Ever hear of propolis? Here's a link for honey...you can spend the time to read through it and report back to us :D
http://bio.waikato.ac.nz/honey/honey_intro.shtml

Last edited:
W

Whatever

Wildlifer69 said:
Thanks Whatever,

I'll get my Bi-focals
I took a quick peek and very interesting and am sure you'll fill all us in on the details.

2.1.3. Hydrogen Peroxide

The major antibacterial activity in honey has been found to be due to hydrogen peroxide produced enzymically in the honey. The glucose oxidase enzyme is secreted from the hypopharyngeal gland of the bee into the nectar to assist in the formation of honey from the nectar.

The hydrogen peroxide and acidity produced by the reaction:

glucose + H2O+ O2 --> gluconic acid + H2O2

serve to preserve the honey. The hydrogen peroxide produced would be of effect as a sterilising agent only during the ripening of honey. Full-strength honey has a negligible level of hydrogen peroxide because this substance is short-lived in the presence of the transition metal ions and ascorbic acid in honey which catalyse its decomposition to oxygen and water. The enzyme has been found to be practically inactive in full-strength honey, it giving rise to hydrogen peroxide only when the honey is diluted. This is because the acidity produced in the action of the enzyme drops the pH to a point which is too low for the enzyme to work any more. On dilution of honey the activity increases by a factor of 2,500 - 50,000, thus giving a "slow-release" antiseptic at a level which is antibacterial but not tissue-damaging.

There's that H202 thing again...lol.

Last edited:

inflorescence

Veteran
I read somewhere that when human cells, like skin cells, are cut (ruptured) they release h202 as a way of sterilizing any pathogens tha would infect the body.

h202 is everywhere! :)

Wildlifer69

Whatever said:
you'll fill all us in on the details.

All beneficial qualities of Honey point straight back to H202

Honey is Acidic with a PH of 3.2 - 4.5

High Suger content 84% Fructose/Glucose (Good Carb Source)

With no NPK Values

Viva Los H202! :jump:

Last edited:
W

Whatever

The objective of this research was to determine the effect of soil applications of hydrogen peroxide solutions on plant growth and flowering. Container grown nasturtium cv. Scarlet Glean Improved seedlings were irrigated with either distilled water, tap water, or hydrogen peroxide solutions. The hydrogen peroxide treatments included 0.005% H2O2 (1X), 0.05% H2O2 (10X), and 0.1% H2O2 (20X), which are equivalent to 1.3, 13, and 26 tsp/gallon of 3% hydrogen peroxide. The foliage and root fresh and dry weights harvested at 22 days after initiating treatment (DAIT) and the fresh weights at 33 DIAT were not significantly different as a result of the hydrogen peroxide concentrations. Hydrogen peroxide concentrations significantly impacted the foliage, root, and total dry weights at 33 DAIT. The 1X concentration of hydrogen peroxide produced significantly greater amounts of nasturtium foliage and total plant dry weights at 33 DAIT compared to the 10X concentration, but it was not significantly different from the distilled and tap water applications. The 20X root dry weights were significantly greater than all other treatments except the 1X hydrogen concentration. The 1X concentration produced significantly greater total number of flowers than either the 10X or 20X concentrations and 64 and 57% greater numbers of flowers than the distilled and tap water treatments. The results indicate that watering nasturtiums at the tested hydrogen peroxide applications rates did provide slight growth and flowering benefits to nasturtiums grown in containers, although the results were not as great as anecdotal reports would suggest. The most likely explanation for the anecdotal reports of dramatic growth stimulus of hydrogen peroxide watering solutions may be a result of hydrogen peroxide decreasing or eliminating diseases in the soil containers rather than it serving as a direct stimulus to the plant.
From that highlighted section I think it infers that H202 may help correct imbalances. If the baseline for the test, healthy plants in a good soil mix tended by an experienced grower, I think the addition of H202 may provide little benefit but still will help.

green giant SA

Just bought some H2o2 from the groshop...they say its 50% strength...
reservoir is 50 litre or 13.2 gallons....cant for the life of me decide how much to put in!!! read this entire thread and still not an answer :) anyone here have any recommendations? i was thinking of putting in 1ml per litre to be safe = 50ml?
what you think?
will peroxide higher or lower the ph?

hoosierdaddy

ICMag Donor
Veteran
50% ?
I thought it took a federal permit to even posses any concentration of H2o2 over 35%

I would be very careful with that stuff.

green giant SA

how you think i should go about puttin some in? should i mix some with the same amount water to make it 25% hydrogen peroxide...then just use it as it were 35% and under do it rather than over?
need some help...first grow and the roots have some brown tinges on certain areas.....so wanna put some in tonight....