What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Maui Wowie

G

When I was younger, around 16/17 I was privy to get some of this. This was in the late 70's and early 80's.

Are there any breeders out there that offer this strain even if it is only partially from the original.

KRS Juan

During the 70's and 80's any good paka lolo (hawaiin herb, although I probably spelled it wrong) was called Maui Wowie on the mailand. And just like Panama Red and Acapulco Gold, while there once was a specific strain with these names, they no longer exist in their pure natural form.

-KRS Juan-

G

From what I hear the OG Mauie Wowie is nothing like what is being sold as M.W. (sativa). The Original is an Indica very sweet tropical smelling. But when you grow anything in Volcanic soil on Hawaii its turns into Wowie! Do a google search on it you'll find plenty.

Blatant

G

All I remember about it was that it was the most killer bud I can remember having ever tried at the time and still to this day. I have tried other hawaiin strains but back then to me the names really didn't matter just as long as it got me where I wanted to be.

I may give that one a try BillyGoat, thanks.

dbsky

MW

MW

To all,
Reeferman Breeders Coop has a strain "Cherry Bomb II"
...while it is essentilally legend the gig goes somewhat like this...
"Mr. Greenjeans has been credited with preserving the original strain of MW (as was known in '78 - '79) which was a 100% sativa. As part of a breeding program, RMBC aquired this strain from Mr. Greenjeans...crossed it with the indica called "Cherry Bomb" and thus created Cherry Bomb 2..."
To quote another old head... it is that search for the Sativa pheno out of the Cherry Bomb 2 genetic stream that will give you a product tat ismost closely related to that old MW that you crave.

d

"turn on, tune in and drop out"
"...in a brotherhood of eternal love"

G

dbsky: Cool thanks for the info. Nice to know. I assume that when you say it is legend, that it is not available for purchase from any seed dealers. :cool:

Telepod

nope

nope

it sounds to me like it is a strain called "Cherry Bomb 2" which you should look for from reeferman seeds.

dbsky

MW

MW

To All,
Ok lets go out a a limb here...
Yes, from all indications Cherry Bomb 2 from Referman does have Maui Wowie in its genetics...and aparently as a p1...
you have to remember that chronologically in the "Culture", the use of seedless cannabis is a relativly new phenomenon...I first came in contact with it in Vallejo, California in 1977...as a result seeds were a common co production of growing, and were in every bud possessed...
thus we little birds, were the means by which strains made their way from one port of call to the next... a few good headed individuals, prone to a "Green Thumb" retained these seeds, growing them out, and following the burbank philosophy of "keep the best and disguard the rest", selected for the genetics they most prefered...Mr. Greengeens was one of these and he preserved the pure sativa called Mauie Wowie...
the whole cherry bomb issue evolves around this vast preserved and developed wealth of genetic material that has a fruity flavor...remember that Highland Thai also refered to as "Juicy Fruit Thai" has a very fruity taste and smell, to the point that it was one of the Trio of strains used in the development of the Blueberry Family of DJ Short. Too remember that Indica has become the cultivar of choice, and that combined with the reality that not all published texts give fair shrift to the quality work done by the unsung heros in our movement, those who saved and nutured 100 % sativas...for the very qualities that the breeders of the powerhouse f1 strains of the 21st century seek... the writers, the Cannabis gods, sometimes get a little confused with all that knowledge they pummel us with about this strain and that...strains taken from point a to point b are still offspring of their parents...DNA is life...the rest details...an Afgani grown on the Big Island is a Hawaiian, but an Indica Hawaiian...
when transplanted to California... it is a Hawaiian Indica genetically from above latitude 30*N...but a hawaiian none the less...so you can see, names are a matter of convienence...
the point is that tracking the movement of strains can only be done by DNA sequencing and without standards from an original sample, well that is where forensic's comes into play...Trial and error...look for the sativa and then at its f2 and f3's...then backcross...All I can suggest is to get some of the CB2 beans and give it a whorl...That is what I did.
Finally, RMBC should be given credit for not laying claim to a lineage that they can not confirm...as I have no financial incentive in a claim, well I followed the trail to where it took me...
d

"...in a brotherhood of eternal love".

G

Excellent info but I am lost on one thing. How can you have a Hawaiian genetics originating from above 30 deg. lat.? There are no Hawaiian islands above like 23 or 24 lat.

Anyways just a little confused.

Thanks in advance

Tex

Hooked-On-Grown

Veteran
yes and I understand the whole F1...2...3 backcross thing.
So you are saying you think its in Cherrybomb II based on.....

"the whole cherry bomb issue evolves around this vast preserved and developed wealth of genetic material that has a fruity flavor"

So does that mean Heavy Duty Fruity is a descendant of MW?
Sorry. I just need a 100% confirmation from the source of Cherrybomb II, that MW is in the mix>

I would love to hear it is!

dbsky

MW

MW

To all,
just had a nice response, then tried to send and deleted it...
long story short...
as part of a "Fun Project" after grad school, I and some friends ran 55 samples from the Pan Pacific Area...
this was able to be done as the samples were collected via old classmates in post-doc programs at UH, USC and UC...
we produced tissue cultures, used commercial kits to extract DNA... extracted both Nuclear and mitachondrial DNA...project languished a bit in the lab...finally developed primers to target specific stranded DNA to be sequenced ..."primed" for replication with a short complementary strand at one end. This preparation was divided into four batches, and each treated with a different replication-halting nucleotide, together with the four "usual" nucleotides. Each replication reaction then proceeds until a reaction-terminating nucleotide is incorporated into the growing strand, whereupon replication stops. Thus, reaction produces new strands that terminate at positions corresponding to the G's in the strand being sequenced. (Note that when long strands are being sequenced the concentration of the reaction-terminating nucleotide must be carefully chosen, so that a "normal" C is usually paired with a G; otherwise, replication would typically stop with the first or second G.) We then used Gel electrophoresis -- one lane per reaction mixture and then separated the replication products, from which the sequence of the original single strand can be inferred.
Results:
of the 55 samples 23 were sucessfull...from the chromatagraphs
the following inferences were made:
2 samples from the Hawaiian sampling were mitachondrial duplicates... the 100% sativa from the island of Molokai called The Blood, and one of the 6 samples called Maui Wowie from the Island of Maui...what was interesting is that 2 samples from california... 1 called "maui wowie" from a source in Ontario and a second from Santa Cruz were also sisters and all related to a mother common as our two Hawaiian samples. The Santa Cruz sample was called "Cherry Bomb".
At some point in a review of the data by the co contributors...some two years after the original culturing took place the name "Mr.Greengenes" came up as the source of the Santa Cruz sample.
Keep in mind that certain chain of custody issues as well as timing and the very " jovial' nature of the sampling would render it useless by peer review, none the less... I guess I stand by the work...
Why not contact RMBC and pose the question to them... I myself have aquired CB2, and if I have time and inclination( and quiet days with the Lycor) I may try the samples again...the primers are a real pain to develop however...
but I will keep my eyes open for that Sativa pheno...@ $35.00 US for 12 seed how can you go wron.
d

dbsky

MW

MW

Dear Texas Kid,
that was the point I was trying to make...that the Maui Wowie must be a sativa, not an indica, as all indicas come from above 30*N...the indica therefore is an environmental hawaiian, but genetically from above the 30*N mark ie. an Afgani or N. Indian ...unless my thinking is skewed, the inference made is that the true Maui Wowie must be a 100% Sativa or a Hybrid...that narrows the search without any complicated analysis, and should further examination be warrented at least you have some idea where to start...
d

dbsky

MW

MW

To all,
yes, yes...I used chlorplast as the DNA source...we recovered nuclear DNA and began to site other organelles for identification purposes...we used the term "Mitachondral"to delineate theorganellle and the extrated material...we wre not looking for the same plants...just similar ones...
a cannabis genomic project... ah interesting.
d

G

dbsky: Very good info, I should check this thread more often. I think I will try and get some of the cherry bomb 2 seeds. I f they even come somewhat close to the original they have to be damn good.

BuzzBob

aka Buzz'dBob
Veteran
Re: MW

Re: MW

dbsky said:
<snip> I used chlorplast as the DNA source...we recovered nuclear DNA and began to site other organelles for identification purposes...we used the term "Mitachondral"to delineate theorganellle and the extrated material... <snip>
Huh!?! -- :confused: LOL...

I have NO idea what all that means, but it sure looks great! And I concur with BigMo's assessment... Even if CB II isn't from the original MW, it still is bound to be some most excellent weed!

-Bob

Hooked-On-Grown

Veteran
LOL Buzzbob!!

I hear ya buzz....I have no idea what all that meant dbsky!!
It sure as hell sounded good though.
A simple...yes HOG MW is linked to Cherry Bomb II....LOL!

Thanks for the killer info dbsky, I am having it sent to a proffesor to translate into stoner lamens terms!! LOL!

I guess I will just have to oreder Cherry Bomb II and grow it out to find out!!

greenzdude

ive grown the real mowie wowie, and its a pure sativa 16 weeks finishing time and stinky ass resin coated popcorn buds with little leaf , grew almost wild just jam a cutting in the ground and it takes off , regretably the only seeds i got off it were crossed with pure power plant , wich made a nice cross but it didnt get anywhere near as big ,but shit every single plant was awesome same looking buds on every plant just some were a lil bigger or alil mor resiny ,,,and so on , better then anything ive ever gotten from the dutch, wich makes me wonder what the hell there doing , ive still got my fave pp x howie clone but i would love too know how too breed the sativa back out

Latest posts

Latest posts