What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Flowering onset start times.

farmerlion

Microbial Repositories
Mentor
Veteran
Hello all, I would like to start a discussion and find resources to learn from. From my observations I feel many faster onset flowering plants. Stem from photoperiod plants crossing with Ruderalis plants in past generations.
While some Indica strains like the Peyote Purple.(That I really enjoy). Are a 9 week flowering plant, but have a late flowering onset date of August 10th to the 17th at 49N. Oaxaca sativa has an 11 to 12 week flowering cycle. Yet it will start flowering the first week of July at 49N. So a longer flowering strain can finish at the same time or sooner than a shorter flowering strain. My observations are growing outdoors or in a greenhouse.

Semi auto flowering strains like Lebanese, Highland Nepalese are a 10 to 11 week flowering strains. They can go into flower the first week of July and be harvested at the end of September.

Skunkman, since you are a moderator and a very knowledgeable grower/breeder. Could you chime in with your thoughts and any resources you know of. I only make surface observations of geographic locations and altitudes that may influence these traits.
Since I put up my greenhouse I've been testing 15 strains per season recording onset dates. In an effort to refine my growing environment. Many of the strains I love have no chance of finishing properly here in North Dakota. ( Acapulco Gold)

Through a process of elimination. I have found that Auto's, Lebanese, Nepalese, Oaxacan and CannaBioGens Destroyer have an earlier onset for flowering in a natural light cycle. I would like to broaden the base of genetics to work with if possible. That said I would much rather have true quality and fewer strains. Than a multitude of strains that truly finish a week or two later than their environment allows. I had snow here October 2nd.

So if you have any knowledge on why the onset triggers work the way they do. I would love to hear about it.
Thank you for your replies and any resources you have provided.
Peace MedDakotabis :tiphat:

Ktaadn

Each strain has a certain critical daylength to trigger flowering. It's why breeder flowering times are largely useless for outdoor growers and any outdoor flowering times should include latitude. I'm in a similar situation as you and I like to look for lines that will easily stay in veg on 16/8 yet flower under 14/10. They aren't all that common but I've been collecting some promising lines to work with.

PDX Dopesmoker

Somewhere or other I read that all regulars will start flowering somewhere between 9/15 and 11.5/12.5 night/day ratios. I have one that goes reliably at about 9.25/14.75, which is August 1st at my latitude. Haven't seen any that started much earlier than that.

Ktaadn

I'd say that's true for most photosensitive lines. However, there are some that will trigger flowering due to a reduction in photoperiod as well. I believe there is a thread on the site that discusses this, I seem to remember SamS touching on it and he describes it all much better than I could.

Also, it's technically the dark period and not the daylength that triggers flowering. It's an important distinction that I failed to mention in my first post.

Last edited:

Buddah Watcha

Veteran
Those are interesting points.. This year I will give a shot at these Purple Satellites (79 Oaxacan Gold x Highland Nepalese Sativa), suppose to start flowering in July at 42N, Ill be pushing her just above 50N, lets hope this works good.

I also have projects of crossing Ace's Malawi Auto x NL with the Purple Satellite and maybe bumping the flowering times down with a semi-auto line. It seems like those are the way to go for people above 50N... That and mold resistance!

Ace's PCK should be another solid option, its very resistant to all elements and should be done in September as well..

Erdpurt is anohter solid option, however, lacks a bit in potency IME, but has great mold resistance and some phenos finish in end of August @ 42N. Definitely has some breeding potential.

Hybrids from Hell had a lot of earlier stuff too, Gorilla Gold, Great Dane, Lebanese, etc

Canadians also had some good outdoor gear that finished early.

Real Gorilla Seeds also has some cool outdoor lines bred to finish in northern latitudes. I'm also trying to snag a few packs of those...

Female Seeds, Critical Sour finished end of September-mid October at 52N and their Maroc some phenos finished early October and the ones that finish end of October had great mold resistance and survived at least 3 frosts without much damage...

Hope that helps a bit! Peace!

DJbigbud

Ive run a few varieties from oregon green seed and they finish nice and early amnesia hashplant and cindys blue cheese are the ones ive tried. they were done early sept at 47 degrees.

mr autoflow

Noticed that too, southern hemisphere here.

And were the two most sativa leaning the ones that started at least 2-3 weeks earlier, Amnesia haze and Bruce banner. And after them, the skunk started, and a c99 from blimburn is the latest, but that clone flowers super quickly.

I was thinking that maybe the sativa ones were gonna still finish later, but only with a lot of more yield.