What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

One of the common mistakes to avoid is OVER-WATERING

guccimarijuana

Since marijuana are plants, we often think that they need water. While it is true, overwatering will result to your plants having a droopy posture. In severe cases of overwatering, plants can be killed. When detected earlier, this problem can still be solved. Tip to Avoid: If you are using hydroponic systems in growing cannabis indoors, you can use your finger in order to check the top inch of your growing medium. If you feel that it is dry, then it is already time for watering. Overwatering is a result of watering your plants too frequently.:tiphat:

Desert Hydro

Veteran
i just killed a BIG plant yesterday from over watering. probably would have yielded over 1/2lb when done. shit happens even if you've been doing this a while lol

Ichabod Crane

Veteran
Top dress with NAPA floor dry. It is silica stone or also known as DE. It turns tan when wet and white when dry. Then all you have to do is watch the color. When it turns white all across the top you can water. If it is tan it is still wet.

noreason

Natural born Grower
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Overwatering is not a real overwatering. Plants can't be killed from too much water, they can be killed for a lack of oxygen, it's different. No oxygen = anaerobic bacteria will eat roots.

When water has enough DO in it, plants will be happy, even if the medium is always wet. Oxygen keep bacteria down.

So let's ensure you have a good O level, that's one of the most important thing imho.

ohimaria

Out(of mind)Grower
Overwatering is not a real overwatering. Plants can't be killed from too much water, they can be killed for a lack of oxygen, it's different. No oxygen = anaerobic bacteria will eat roots.

When water has enough DO in it, plants will be happy, even if the medium is always wet. Oxygen keep bacteria down.

So let's ensure you have a good O level, that's one of the most important thing imho.

But are they killed by the absence of oxygen or the anaerobic bacteria that are formed?

edit: re-reading I understand absence oxygen are bacteria born and eat the root?

Last edited:

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
If you are using hydroponic systems in growing cannabis indoors, you can use your finger in order to check the top inch of your growing medium. If you feel that it is dry, then it is already time for watering. Overwatering is a result of watering your plants too frequently.:tiphat:

we grow some with waterfarms... the drip is on 24/7... never encountered overwatering...

noreason

Natural born Grower
ICMag Donor
Veteran
But are they killed by the absence of oxygen or the anaerobic bacteria that are formed?

edit: re-reading I understand absence oxygen are bacteria born and eat the root?

I guess in a theoretically pathogen free environment, a lack of oxygen will stunt the plant's growth till death, because without oxygen plants can't ''breath'' (cellular respiration).

In the real life, we have bacteria and spores everywhere, even in a hydro nutritive solution, so at 99% a plant's death is caused by bacteria decomposing roots.

Firsts signs can be confused with a lack of nutes (and it actually is because the root zone can't provide enough nutes to the upper part)

But I was pointing a simple thing...I mean...dwc plants have roots always in water, so we know overwatering can't be a problem.

When you point the finger at the oxygen and not directly to the water itself, it could be useful to understand how to build a system, or how to timing it. No matter if oxygen comes from dry/wet cycles or directly from water, more it is, more the roots will be happy.

I know there is nothing new, but for a new grower can be useful to know ;)

:wave:

Dog Star

Veteran
Yep,a aeration is qey...

its like with liquid manure that is not aerated,if you feed a grass land with this kind of manure and if grass for cattle grows on this field then same this cattle will not eat this grass under any circumstance...

but if you aerate liquid manure and then spread over field and if grass grows same this cattle will feed on this field with a great appetite...

reason is right those that in case of nonaerated liquid manure she have totaly different bacterial flora from aerated liquid manure,like Noreason points...then more pathogen bacteries trive if there is a lack of oxygen...

Aeration is a very important process to keep stuff cleaner and healthy..

CosmicGiggle

Veteran
over-watering at any stage is a guaranteed invitation for fungus gnats which mess with your roots and cause all kinds of hard to diagnose problems.:tiphat:

Kaskadian

Veteran
Just switch to coco! Water everyday (or multiple times) baby! ;)

In all seriousness... just get used to the weight of your pots. I don't grow much in soil anymore but you learn pretty fast how much your pot weighs when they're watered vs when they need to be watered.

DsourDog

Good topic , almost everyone I know that starts out growing now over waters , since it’s legal where I’m at now everyone and there brother grows and all i see a lot of is over watering and using to many snake
Oils

Do you think over watering is as bad on new seedlings? I've got a habit of keeping things real wet when starting plants then back off once they broke through the soil

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Do you think over watering is as bad on new seedlings? I've got a habit of keeping things real wet when starting plants then back off once they broke through the soil

Absolutely!

My bro was starting seeds and was spraying the soil surface daily in an attempt to maintain soil moisture. As a result he suffered a lot of damping off.
I told him to stop watering every day and just saturate the soil then let it drain as normal. And to watering again once the container feels light.
His germ rates jumped to 100% & he is no longer experiencing damping off.

Iamnumber

tl;dr

for seeding etc.. adding 'less absorbant' compound to your soilmix helps. perlite the most common.. small airpot with said more airy mix would be my goto solution.

For later stages naturally same applies but airpot type of really airy airy air-pruning pots make it really really hard to kill plant with over watering (even with pure soil in pot).

blackone

Veteran
I have occasionally had problems with overwatering but I've actually had more problems because I was holding back, trying to follow the advice of letting soil dry out between waterings - in particular when dealing with well-rooted plants that would drink a lot compared to what the soil could hold.
The best growth and the healthiest plants I've had have all been kept at a near optimal moisture level all of the time.

big315smooth

mama tried
Veteran
Ive always watered less but more often and always did half of what nutrient called for then adjusted up or down by how the plants were looking. It always seemed to flush easier to with not as much buildup.

GOT_BUD?

Weed is a gateway to gardening
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I always let my plants start to droop from lack of moisture in the medium before I water them.

From what I understand, you shouldn't do that. It stresses the plant.

What might work better is to track how often you do that, then try to anticipate the "drooping" and water a day earlier so they don't droop, but also don't get too much water.

Latest posts

Latest posts