What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Depression Era Glass

Green Squall

I'm repurposing this old Depression Era glass ashtray to hold my vape tools and other cannabis related items.

"Depression glass is clear or colored translucent glassware that was distributed free, or at low cost, in the United States and Canada around the time of the Great Depression." (Think of it as a promotional item back then.)

Anyone collect any of this stuff? I also have a set of shot glasses.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Depression_glass

picture.php

shithawk420

Veteran
That's pretty cool GS but do you really want to get ash and resin on that?it's in good condition and probably worth something.I guess it'll wash off anyway.pretty cool.art deco style

Green Squall

I'm no expert on the stuff but this piece seems pretty common and not worth much. I saw one going for 12.99 on ebay recently.

St. Phatty

I just bought a kiln and I'm looking at the recipes for blue glass.

I was reading, they often use cobalt to get blue glass.

However, copper is also often bluish. I was hoping to get some copper from the natural soil (which is full of copper iron pyrite).

I was also wondering if I could get a red tint by using Rust (iron oxide) in the mix.

Jhhnn

Veteran
I'm repurposing this old Depression Era glass ashtray to hold my vape tools and other cannabis related items.

"Depression glass is clear or colored translucent glassware that was distributed free, or at low cost, in the United States and Canada around the time of the Great Depression." (Think of it as a promotional item back then.)

View Image

I have one just like that, along with a few other pieces, including a kinda rare cobalt blue bowl. There was a lot more of it around 30 years ago & was a very hot collectible. People collected certain patterns & built sets. Select pieces are quite valuable in cobalt, pink or green but it takes an expert to know what's what. It's a nostalgia thing- at 68, I remember my great grandmother had some.

Any chip or ding sends the price through the floor. I see the stuff at estate sales but not in any quantity.

Chunkypigs

passing the gas
Veteran

View Image

that color was made with uranium in the old days.

shine a black light on it and if it glows you're getting free cancer treatment!

some-of-our-uranium-glass.jpg

Latest posts

Latest posts